Thread: Pike ice fishing

Default Pike ice fishing

I am flying out to a buddies cabin tomorrow. We are going to try fishing for pike. Well we are gonna set up some tip-ups and drink beer around the fire while waiting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rig the tip-ups. I have some hooligan from the spring that I will use for bait. How do you rig them up? How deep do you usually fish. Also how deep of water are the fish usually holding in. We have caught a ton of pike out of this lake in the summers but never done it through the ice. Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I have some pics to post when I get back. Thanks again

Klickman

Since you know the lake, set up on the edge of the weedbeds you usually catch them on during open water. Using a quick strike rig if you want to release them or the bait needle rigs if you are keeping fish lower the bait near bottom and wait.

I usually fish pike in 5 to 15 feet of water. Are there any inlets into the lake? if there are you may want to check those areas as well. Also I like to jig one hole.

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    I am flying out to a buddies cabin tomorrow. We are going to try fishing for pike. Well we are gonna set up some tip-ups and drink beer around the fire while waiting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rig the tip-ups. I have some hooligan from the spring that I will use for bait. How do you rig them up? How deep do you usually fish. Also how deep of water are the fish usually holding in. We have caught a ton of pike out of this lake in the summers but never done it through the ice. Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I have some pics to post when I get back. Thanks again

Klickman

There are alot of variables to consider:

Shallow or deep: Both, bring lots of tip ups and put out at a variety of depths, shallow may get you numbers, but deep is where size is 90% of the time. 5-15 feet is a great start.

Bait: Herring or hooligan is fine, but I like the bigger stuff. I use the 8" troll herring and I generally catch some nice fish.

Timing: Get your stuff out before sunrise. You won't regret getting out of bed that early one bit.

Move your gear around a little bit. Find which holes and areas are producing and then keep your stuff in those hot spots. Some people say if you don't get bit in an hour move, that's not true. I've left my stuff in the same holes for 4 hours without hardly a nibble and then BAM. They just show up. Pike are fairly active fish.

You should have no problem getting fish if you have fished that lake before. Best of luck. Tell us how it went when you get back.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

thanks a lot guys for all the info. I fly out in a few hours. Hope I got some pics when I get back. Thanks again
    Klickman

Well the fishing was ok. We got a few little guys nothing big. We lost a couple fish right at the hole. oh well we still had a blast. We ended up wht 15 flags for the two mornings we fished. Sorry no picks I got video but no pictures. Next time I won't forget the camera.

Klickman

sounds like you had some action, which is better than getting skunked!

thanks for reporting back.

That isn't too bad for that lake. You got some action, thats whats important, better than sitting at work.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It sure does beat work. We actually got stuck out there an extra day because of weather sunday. we couldve fished Sun. night but the women said enough is enough so we hung out with them. No need to get momma mad at us.
    Klickman