Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordering Powders From The States

Default Ordering Powders From The States

Just made my order for 4, 8 lb containers from Natchez.....$517 shipped to Lynden Transport's Fife Washington terminal. From Fife, Powders will be barged in a Hazmat container to Anchorage and then trucked to Fairbanks for an additional $120 (100 lbs or less). For a total of $637 or about $160 per 8lb. container. Did not order primers, they cannot be shipped in the same container, so, another fee of $120 for a separate Hazmat container would be charged from Fife to Fbks. The biggest hassle was finding out the hazmat classifacation code. I ended up getting the code from Hodgdons. You would need to provide this code when setting up shipment from the Fife Washington to Fbks. leg of the journey. Powders ordered were H380, IMR4064,Unique, and XMR-5744. This all seemed fairly easy and reasonably priced at this time. Shipping from Fife usualy takes about 7 days......We shall see...........The lady at Hodgdon said there WILL be a shortage........And we **** sure cannot depend on Sportsmans Warehouse......

Hazmat shipping classifacation code (hazard classifacation United Nations number) is; Smokeless Powder for small arms, 4.1 N.A. #3178,pgI
    You will need this code when setting up shipping from Fife Washington terminal.
    Phone # for Lynden Transport in Fife Washington; 800-478-5535
    Phone # for Natchez shooting supply; 1-800-251-7839
    When shipping through the Fife terminal, have your chosen supplier label your package; To; Joe Blow, in care of Lynden Transport etc.
    All in all seems fairly straight forward, although this is the only time I have ever had to do this......I think I have all my ducks in a row.........THNX

495tomm,

Let us know how the transaction end. I was thinking in doing the same thing with a couple of friend, to save some in shipment. Is there is a limit as to how many pounds can be shipped?

regards

So if I did the math right that's about 20 bucks a pound delivered to your door? Not too bad huh? Especially since there isn't any powder in Fairbanks. I did however find 1000 cci small pistol primers at SW today. Score. Been looking and waiting for a while.

Default Ordering Powders From The States Update

Have notified Lynden of tracking numbers on the package in advance for a "glitch free" delivery at the Fife terminal. Here are a few interesting things that (I THINK) I have learned from on-line sources.

Natchez Shooters Supply WILL ship primers and powders together, although I dont know if Lynden Transport will. Best to call them.

Acording to the Natchez web site "You can ship up to 50 lbs.per box of powder and primers mixed together. If you order more than 50 lbs. of powders and primers mixed, a second UPS $20 hazard charge will incur for up to 50 lbs.in an additional box"

However, if you do order a second 50lbs. you will NOT be able to transport it home in your private vehicle.

To transport your powder home, you(supposedley) will need a wooden box, of not less than 1 inch thick, with a locking lid. I DID call Lynden to ask what to expect at time of pick-up and they did NOT mention it. I will build and bring one anyhow.....I WILL need it later.......

Once you get your powder home, you are allowed to keep 20 lbs out on your shelf in factory containers, the rest will need to be stored in the wooden box, up to a total of 50 lbs.

There are laws on how much powder is allowed in a residence depending on your location. I think this is a kind of a gray zone depending on weather you are rural or residential.

Main sources of info; B of ATF website (NOT easy reading)
    Natchez Shooters Supply (much EASIER reading)
    http;//www.alliantpowder.com/safety.htm#consider (MOST informative)
    I personaly have never had a need to do this before, and am certainly not an expert, this is MY interpretation of what I have read. So, If there is something you think I have missed PLEASE let me know........Will keep you posted........

Default Powder Arrived From The States Today

Picked up my powder order today from Lynden. No hidden fees, No stack of paperwork to fill out, NO problems!!! I think I ordered it on or about 11/ 24/ 08 arrived 12/9/08....So, a little over 2 weeks to get it here. Amazingly easy.....
    $517 for 32 lbs. of powders from Natchez Shooters Supply to Fife Wash.
    $120 for haz/mat shipping fees with Lynden from Fife Wash. to Fbks Ak.
    $637 Total
    $160 Per 8 lb. jug
    $20 Per lb.

Default powder from lesser 48

Sounds like a great deal. I have been thinking about doing that for a while, maybe it is time to give it a shot.

If anyone in Anchorage is going to do this, I will go in with you on it. I need 8 lbs. of H4350 and 8 lbs. of H4895.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    If anyone in Anchorage is going to do this, I will go in with you on it. I need 8 lbs. of H4350 and 8 lbs. of H4895.

Mike
    I'm gonna after the 1st some time. I need 8lbs Bullseye, 8lbs 4895 (H or IMR don't matter), whatever I find is good for my 460, and primers also.

Default $20/pound is a good deal

If anyone wants to go in on a shipment I need some powder as well.

Default group buy

I would be interested in a group buy also. I would like to get a 4lb keg of 231.

Jake

Once you get your powder home, you are allowed to keep 20 lbs out on your shelf in factory containers, the rest will need to be stored in the wooden box, up to a total of 50 lbs
    Is that a Fed Reg or a State Reg? Residential or business?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Storing Powders

B of A.T.F. phone number for liscenses & regs. Located in Anchorage; 1-907-271-5702

I've bought and set aside a diverse range of powders and could easily get by if need be for certain calibers I prefer to use. It would limit my pleasure in load development for any/all firearms. I suspect that it may take awhile for the shelfs to get restored and when it does become stocked its supplies will be diminished just as quickly as it went.

I've been wanting to try Norma powders for some time and will be buying for starters 10#s each of 3 of there powders-that should last me for now ....... I hope. The hzmt fees and shipping is something I too will have to endure-a good thing nonetheless.

Weird, isn't it? Reloaders need to stock up.

well, believed I had the site for the Norma powder but seem to have lost it. Looked around and there is not much for that and/or many other powders in the preferred selection/burn rate. Seems like everyone is hot to trot about hording in all they can. Will have to keep money handy and websites soon as some are released.

Default Powder

I found a company that will ship anywhere in the lower 48 for $4.95 and waive the hazmat fee if the order is 30lbs or more. Then it's just a matter of the hazmat fees and shipping to get up here. They also have a lot of Reloader 17 in stock!!!!!!
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    well, believed I had the site for the Norma powder but seem to have lost it. Looked around and there is not much for that and/or many other powders in the preferred selection/burn rate. Seems like everyone is hot to trot about hording in all they can. Will have to keep money handy and websites soon as some are released.
    Here ya go, also Midway and Natchezss links.
    Andy

http://www.norma.cc/content.asp?Typ=...Norma%20Powder

http://www.midwayusa.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I found a company that will ship anywhere in the lower 48 for $4.95 and waive the hazmat fee if the order is 30lbs or more. Then it's just a matter of the hazmat fees and shipping to get up here. They also have a lot of Reloader 17 in stock!!!!!!
    Cool, I'm in after the 1st of next month.

Andy

Default RE: Ordering powders

I would be interested at any time.

Default Me too...

I sent you guys pms with my contact information if you're ok with me teaming up on this. Thanks, Chris

Default Me Too

Here' the link to the company. I want to get a 5lb jug of Reloader 17. Anybody want to head up a group buy?

http://www.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast