Thread: Canoe Dolly

Question Canoe Dolly

Anyone have plans for a canoe dolly to be used on portages? I've looked online and only see the finished products for sale. They look like they are constructed easily, but since I'm not a very good fabricator, I'd need directions to put one together. I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks

I built one for a phisically challenged friend a couple years ago for his kayack. The frame was pretty simple small tubesteel and I did it so to split in half for storage inside the boat after the portage.
    In laymans terms it was half of a u with a small wheel on each side and when he sleeved them togather at the bottom and then he set the stern on it. At the top of each was a rope attachment for pulling the boat, which in turn put tension on the dolly which helped hold it togather
    Hope this helps
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Hmm...when I google "build your own kayak cart" it comes up with lots of sites for how to built one. Maybe change your search string.

Smile AK Ray

Changed my search to your reccomendation and got LOTS of plans now. Thanks for the tip. Seems I never put enough information in the search string. I appreciate the help. Now I have something else to do in the winter this year.

Mike, you probably already know this but you can't use a cart in the Swan Lake & Swanson River lakes canoe systems. No wheeled vehicles (& a cart is one) in the wilderness areas.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Vance

YIKES! No I didn't know that. I always had a lighter canoe and didn't even think of a dolly for it. Now that I have a heavier one, it's tough to portage by myself. Now what will I do??? Guess I'll have to take the wife along to carry the canoe...........Or get a lighter one for myself. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't even have known where to look for that regulation, and wouldn't have considered a dolly a wheeled vehicle. Thanks.

Mike

Default sterlingmike

How about setting the end on a skid made of U.H.M.W. plastic and pull that, vision like an old runner sled, no wheels needed
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Smile ironartist

I might give that a try, also. Could just drag the canoe, too. Seems like I'd do a lot more damage to the trail that way, rather than with a dolly. But I guess that's why I'm not making the rules. I'll start the wife on a training regimen so she can lift that fiberglass monster. Just have to cut out the solo trips I guess.

I built a cart out of white PVC. I think it cost $60 to $70. I got everything from Home Depot or Lowe's can't remember. I just did a search for "PVC canoe cart" and then looked through images. I went with 12" tires and it rolls really nice.

Default akbigfish

Thanks. The plans I found online also used PVC. Think I'll make one this winter. I can use it other places besides the Swanson.

I would like to
    Hear the reviews on the cart when you test it out

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com