Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Auction and Raffle Permit Revenue

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default Auction and Raffle Permit Revenue

    Been alot of talk about these tags. Here's the data. What do you think about this program?

    troy
    Last edited by tv321; 10-15-2009 at 21:39.

  2. #2
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    I think this should likely go in the game management forum.

    I have no problem with the amount of governor's tags awarded now, or the way we administer this program, as per the Word document. I do not want to see the amount of auctioned-off tags to increase though.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default

    We also must take into account the monies raised by these tag is matched 3:1 by Pittman-Robertson funds from the federal government.

    Problem is all this money raised still goes into the general fund.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I think this should likely go in the game management forum.

    I have no problem with the amount of governor's tags awarded now, or the way we administer this program, as per the Word document. I do not want to see the amount of auctioned-off tags to increase though.

    I think we need to look at how this handled now and I will would not support any growth in this program.


  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    I think we need to look at how this handled now and I will would not support any growth in this program.
    I am not a big fan of this program either. I am not for "our" resources going to the rich. I would support it, if the $$$ raised would go directly to support/manage the resource that was auctioned off.

    This is the part of ADF&G I have a problem with.

    Troy

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I am not a big fan of this program either. I am not for "our" resources going to the rich. I would support it, if the $$$ raised would go directly to support/manage the resource that was auctioned off.

    This is the part of ADF&G I have a problem with.

    Troy
    I agree with you.

    What is the process of deciding what tags will be donated and which group gets to benefit from them?


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coffman Cove, POW, Alaska
    Posts
    753

    Default Auction Tags

    I think they're a great idea as long as the money goes to F&G. I guess I don't understand the general fund stuff (maybe straight to the state not F&G?) Eitherway the folks that buy these tags can do a lot more to raise revenue than you and I ever will be able to do due to the deep pockets they have. TV - the rich buying these tags doesn't impact your hunting chances as far as I can tell. Also only the sheep tags seem to pull big $ (50K+) I would have to think that most folks on here could afford the $5K tag if they wanted to bad enough. As long as the $ goes to F&G, cool with me. How they are awarded seems to be a mystery but it looks like the big $ comes from outside though.

    TO the ABA - nice work on the tags, I will be donating a hunt to you as well for your dinner in the hopes to get Mr Eichler down to my place!!!

    Gooch

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I think they're a great idea as long as the money goes to F&G. I guess I don't understand the general fund stuff (maybe straight to the state not F&G?) Eitherway the folks that buy these tags can do a lot more to raise revenue than you and I ever will be able to do due to the deep pockets they have. TV - the rich buying these tags doesn't impact your hunting chances as far as I can tell. Also only the sheep tags seem to pull big $ (50K+) I would have to think that most folks on here could afford the $5K tag if they wanted to bad enough. As long as the $ goes to F&G, cool with me. How they are awarded seems to be a mystery but it looks like the big $ comes from outside though.

    TO the ABA - nice work on the tags, I will be donating a hunt to you as well for your dinner in the hopes to get Mr Eichler down to my place!!!

    Gooch
    In the 13 years of this "program" the State general fund has collected less than 1 million dollars.

    In the same 13 years the "commercial hunting industry" has collected

    over $ 260,000.00 million from taking public resources for profits.

    Even a 5% slaughter tax from the commercial hunting industry in those 13 years would have collected from the commercial hunting industry something in the neighbor hood of $38,000,000.00 Million to the State.

    An initiative focused on implementing a slaughter tax from the commercial hunting industry is a lot more effective at solving the problems.

    THAT is not to say the Tag/Auction process should not be "capped" and the flow of those funds directed to 'special projects".....like maybe predator control.


  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    I agree with you.

    What is the process of deciding what tags will be donated and which group gets to benefit from them?
    I am attaching the application form. I don't know much more than that. I will ask a few questions and get this info.

    Troy
    Last edited by tv321; 10-15-2009 at 21:39.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I am attaching the application form. I don't know much more than that. I will ask a few questions and get this info.

    Troy
    Thanks brother!


  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I am attaching the application form. I don't know much more than that. I will ask a few questions and get this info.

    Troy

    I got to go over to the gun and trapping threads for a while and pass out a few reps before I can give ya one for this! But you got one in spirit now!


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coffman Cove, POW, Alaska
    Posts
    753

    Default Commercial Guiding Operations

    SO that is the issue? How does that relate to these tags? Maybe I missed something but if that's your beef it should be another thread, one I would probably support I don't see the link to these tags. I hunted in the Peninsula Predator area this fall for moose. Not one caribou had a calf, lots of wolf sign didn't see one though. We should let guides shoot wolves in the field that would help. Another thread.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    SO that is the issue? How does that relate to these tags? Maybe I missed something but if that's your beef it should be another thread, one I would probably support I don't see the link to these tags. I hunted in the Peninsula Predator area this fall for moose. Not one caribou had a calf, lots of wolf sign didn't see one though. We should let guides shoot wolves in the field that would help. Another thread.
    The issue most of us have is the money, which does not go to projects but to the general fund and it's not even that much money anyway.

    The slaughter tax would reasonably go to the general fund. With the slaughter tax then their could be a reasonable argument made that the tag money should be dedicated to special projects........like predator control for example.


  14. #14

    Default

    It is a terrible waste of resources and you and your children will suffer for it. If an organization feels they need to prostitute out, that which they are striving for, it is then counterproductive. To auction off "the Kings Deer" is one thing, but to auction off "Our Deer" is unacceptable. It is a shameful, unethical practice and should be eliminated entirely, no other considerations.

    Some people nowdays, would rather go to Banquets and strut their stuff and play Mr. Bigshot, rather than go hunting. The guys and gals that play into this stuff and promote it, or obtain one of the tags and go kill the animals are not hunters.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coffman Cove, POW, Alaska
    Posts
    753

    Cool Thanks for your opinion

    And I respect it AKRes. I don't get the same conclusion from looking a the program and I think it doesn't hurt hunting one bit. It will not be eliminated I can promise although I don't want to see more tags given out than already are given. These are my OPINIONS.

    I will take offense to your last comment however. I like to go to the shows and meet new folks and see old friends as well as enjoy a night out. Not going to defend that in the least, I think most of these groups are trying to do good in some way or another. What I take offense to is you saying the folks that buy these hunts and kill the animals aren't hunters. I'm not rich, not a big shot, but i've bought a hunt before at the SCI auction. Wife and I saved up and had a blast on our world travel, my first time outside the US. I can assure you it was hunting.

    In no way am I boasting here or trying to sound like a master hunter but as for me not being a hunter for buying a hunt - you're dead wrong. I know nothing of your style or ethics or hunting ability but I can assure you I am ethical, hunt as often as I can (probably more than most), harvest more than not, and still love the shows. All on a working man's wages. If you're a 'real hunter' for not buying a hunt like me, let's compare notes between a real hunter and myself.

    I did like you last line however because I have said - "Some people like to go online and talk hunting rather than go hunting."

  16. #16

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    And I respect it AKRes. I don't get the same conclusion from looking a the program and I think it doesn't hurt hunting one bit. It will not be eliminated I can promise although I don't want to see more tags given out than already are given. These are my OPINIONS.

    I will take offense to your last comment however. I like to go to the shows and meet new folks and see old friends as well as enjoy a night out. Not going to defend that in the least, I think most of these groups are trying to do good in some way or another. What I take offense to is you saying the folks that buy these hunts and kill the animals aren't hunters. I'm not rich, not a big shot, but i've bought a hunt before at the SCI auction. Wife and I saved up and had a blast on our world travel, my first time outside the US. I can assure you it was hunting.

    In no way am I boasting here or trying to sound like a master hunter but as for me not being a hunter for buying a hunt - you're dead wrong. I know nothing of your style or ethics or hunting ability but I can assure you I am ethical, hunt as often as I can (probably more than most), harvest more than not, and still love the shows. All on a working man's wages. If you're a 'real hunter' for not buying a hunt like me, let's compare notes between a real hunter and myself.

    I did like you last line however because I have said - "Some people like to go online and talk hunting rather than go hunting."
    PM me for my location, if you are serious. I think you might be in for a suprise. And...don't ask for my opinion of the SCI. I think you will find plenty in the forum archives that speak LOUDLY to their activities.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Coffman Cove, POW, Alaska
    Posts
    753

    Default PM Sent

    On the way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •