Thread: Shooting Sticks?

Default Shooting Sticks?

Went to buy a pair of shooting sticks and was overwhelmed by options and price ranges. Want to get a nice light pair or pair to hike with then shoot with. Not going with bi-pod, because I use my sling a lot.

Any suggestions on what you use and like?

Thumbs up

I made mine. Went to Lowes and got a pair of 4' dowel rods (I think they were 1" diameter). I drilled both of them in 5-6 different places for some adjustment options and bolted them together with a 1/4" bolt and some plastic washers. I even put rubber ends on the bottoms of them. I then attached a piece of velcro about 10" from the bottom which keeps them tightly closed while I'm walking.

Total cost was less than $20.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Alternative

Use a pair of aluminum ski poles. They'll help you maintain your balance while hiking and then can be used as shooting sticks as well. Light and cheap.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

you won't be dissapointed with the Stoney Point hike and hunt combo!

Thumbs up monopod

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    I'll ditto this also, assuming that's its the monopod you're refering to. I won't leave home with out it...one of my most useful pieces of hunting equipment.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Well the combo comes with 2 sticks. From there you can either carry one and use the V attachment for the mono-pod or attach the other stick to a pivot v for a bipod. Thye kit comes with both attachments along with rubber snow boots, rubber foot pads and under that are carbide tips.

Sticks? Depends what you are doing..get creative. I use a camera tripod when I'm doing varmit calling, lots of time to set up, super solid,all sorts of adjustments. All camera and spoting scopes are pretty much the same thread, and those little plastic V's on mono pods just happen to fit! I use a mono pod for walking, and home made shooting sticks for combination of sitting and walking. The least steady is the mono, but real handy as a walking stick as well as very light. The homemade sticks work well, you can open them up for sitting, squeeze them up for standing, a little less handy for walking, but takes some of the wobble out of a brethless hunter. good luck! ...desertdog

I think I'm going to try the stoney point combo. Thanks for the input. Plus those sticks will help coming back down the mountain.

Ditto again. Even used ours to set up a tarp vestibule outside our tent on Kodiak. The walking stick-monopod combo has been the best for me. Plenty of stability for a standing shot at a reasonable distance.