Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .480 Ruger Investment

Default .480 Ruger Investment

I have a chance to pick up (4) Ruger SRH .480 Ruger 7.5" 5-shot handguns for $535 each + shipping. Considering the .480 being discontinued, would you see this as a good investment or a turkey?

Don't know about the investment, but wish I had a line on a 5 shot .480. I wasn't aware they released them in other than the short barrels.

This company I'm dealing with also has (5) 9.5" .480's.

I'm in an auction now for a used .480. I would've bought a 5-shot .480 in a heartbeat! The best price on new old stock .480 I've found is over $600.

I think I hate you.

Default .480

Picked up a .480 SRH recently. Seems like a good price. I think you should buy them and pay it forward. You won't be disappointed with that gun. The low pressure round is really nice when you are at the range torching off boxes of ammo. .480 is just as capable as the bigger boys (.460 & .500 SW) and you can shoot it for days.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyriver View Post
    Picked up a .480 SRH recently. Seems like a good price. I think you should buy them and pay it forward. You won't be disappointed with that gun. The low pressure round is really nice when you are at the range torching off boxes of ammo. .480 is just as capable as the bigger boys (.460 & .500 SW) and you can shoot it for days.
    I've owned the 6-shot .480 for a few years and really enjoy it, I'm thinking this might be a good purchase.

thanks

Are thos 9.5" also 5 shot?

I didn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I have a chance to pick up (4) Ruger SRH .480 Ruger 7.5" 5-shot handguns for $535 each + shipping. Considering the .480 being discontinued, would you see this as a good investment or a turkey?
    Dean, go ahead and have them ship one my way. Thx buddy!

I guess we'll have to have a group buy>

I'm in for a group buy on a 5 shot .480 with a barrel long enough I can cut it to 5".

If your deal falls through, please send me a PM with the contact info and I'll try to get one.

After Ruger said they weren't going to make the 5 shot anymore, I wrote them a note to say they should build some...a special run...no response. I don't know how many they'd sell, but there seems to be a fair demand for the .480 5 shot.

Thanks for the info.

I'd be interested in a 9 1/2" 480, 5 or six shooter doesn't matter.

I'm sure as a long term investment they might pay you back, but I'd expect you'll have to hang on to them for a good 10 years or so before they'd appreciate much.

But the 480 is an outstanding hunting round, and that's a good price for a solid hunting revolver.

Well, I lied on the shot, now they tell me they are the 6 shot. Didn't matter, I ordered 4 of the 7.5" anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Well, I lied on the shot, now they tell me they are the 6 shot. Didn't matter, I ordered 4 of the 7.5" anyway.
    Dean
    Do you handload your current .480R?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    Dean
    Do you handload your current .480R?
    Not yet, I bought the dies, but haven't started yet.

Default Lee Loader?

My .480 is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

I took a nice whitetail with it down in Idaho a few years back that I probably would not have gotten with any other guy but a .480 hand carried with iron sights

The problem I'm having is that ammo is so darned expensive and I'm not a hand loader. I wish they'd come out with a Lee Loader for the .480 but if it's truly being discontinued I guess that may not happen.

Default 5 or 6?

Are there benefits to the 5 shot versus the 6 shot? I have the 6 and love it.
    2007 220 OP ET HT
    Yamaha F250txr
    Yamaha 8 kicker
    Garmin 498

I believe Ruger started putting out some 5- shot, maybe mainly in the Alaskan model because of sticking of brass. I had that problem in my 7.5", switching ammo seemed to cure the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCheese View Post
    My .480 is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

I took a nice whitetail with it down in Idaho a few years back that I probably would not have gotten with any other guy but a .480 hand carried with iron sights

The problem I'm having is that ammo is so darned expensive and I'm not a hand loader. I wish they'd come out with a Lee Loader for the .480 but if it's truly being discontinued I guess that may not happen.
    Lee doesn't have a Lee Loader in .480, BUT they do have dies for it. Buy the dies and a Lee Hand Press and you'd be good to go!

I bought a barely used Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 " in .480 Ruger and a set of dies. It has been a lot of fun to shoot. $535 sounds like a great deal for a new one. I have yet to see factory rounds in my budget. Mine is a six shot and I have never had any issues with sticking.

I thought five shot cylinders were for fitting rounds with larger bases into the same size cylinder. Why would the Alaskan models experience more sticking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast