Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Hats or Musher Hats

Question Cold Weather Hats or Musher Hats

What hats do you guys prefer to wear in really cold weather? I was hoping to find a hat similar to this guy's but haven't had any luck.

http://www.juneauempire.com/images/022507/16501_500.jpg

I use a Mad Bomber Hat. It keeps your ears warm too.

In my experience fur is the warmest way to go. I've used wool, fleece, etc, but always come back to the old beaver hat when it's really cold.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Try Cabelas for a hat like that. I got one from them that was wind proof.

Smile Wool w/fleece lining

http://wapitiwoolies.com/

http://www.everestdesigns.net/

Both of these are worn by high altitude mountaineers where fighting the cold can be half the battle. I also have a beaver hat that I really like when it drops well below zero, but these are just as warm with a lot less bulk and cost.

Thumbs up everest flap hats

i have worn the poly fleese hats and they kept me warm, and i have worn wool hats that kept me warm as well but i will say that everest hats take the cake because you can have the benefits of both worlds due to some of thier hats have poly fleece and wool together way warm and not too much sweat, i have purchased mine at the norwedgen store on 4th ave and my wife had purchased hers at woolies since she wore mine once and fell in love with it. good luck and i hope this helps.

I like my Mad Bomber hat when I am Ice fishing or running the trapline. The rest of the time I use a polar fleece watch cap it is adequate for south central. I had a really good beaver hat but I gave it ot my brother down below on my last visit. Darn I miss that hat.

That hat actually looks just like one I have from Apocalypse design in Fairbanks http://www.akgear.com/hats-mitts.html

I also have similar hats from Columbia. One with smooth fleece inside and one with berber fleece inside. Unfortunately I no longer see them on their website

and last, but not least, my wife has made me a couple...

The only warm hat in cold weather is a rabbit lined beaver hat. Hard to find a good one now.

When the temps drop I grab my OR "Rando" hat. I haven't ever been cold with that hat on, but when it's -40* I don't sit around, either. Keeping my neck protected is the key to staying warm for me. And keeping the wind off my head. I like insulated GoreTex hats for that reason, and dislike them when it gets warm since I want some breeze to flow through my hat when it's warmer outside. I'll also add a balaclava under my hat if it's really cold or if the wind's blowing.

Default Fur for deep cold is the way to go imo

I'm going to be making some fur hats for sale this winter; if anyone is interested, drop me a pm. Typical trapper's style hat, fur and leather and liner is typically fleece. Here's a couple pics of an otter hat I made last winter.

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Aviator Hat

I don't wear it much, but when temps drop and I'm standing around ice fishing, I wear my Canada Goose Aviator Hat. It is duck filled with a Coyote ruff. Warm and windproof

http://www.canada-goose.com/98pr_aviator_hat.htm

Wyatt
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.glacierwear.net/ has some pretty nice hats and pelts an stuff.

I wear the Explorer's Hat from Apocalypse Design pictured a bit down the page here: http://www.akgear.com/hats-mitts.html

It's really warm.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Has anyone bought a hat from the fur shack in Delta or know anyone who has?

They've got a bunch of hats on their website. I have wanted a rabbit lined beaver hat for years. Even though they are too hot for normal temps or activities there seem to always be a few times a winter when I think it would so nice to have, but I don't know if it's $300 worth of nice!

I get out to quite a few of our interior villages for work and I've often thought about asking around to see if anyone is going to be making beaver hats, but I can't seem to break the mental barrier keeping this as a "want" isntead of a "need".

someday!

I'm buying one from Bushrat. It looks like it will definately do the trick! Normally, I wear an alpaca hat I picked up in Peru. It's really thin but usually keeps the noggin warm unless I'm sitting down.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Fur

is the only way to go. I had a marten hat, but bought a beaver hat a few years ago from a wonderful lady in Slana. I wish I knew her name as she has a business card. This hat is simply incredible! I honestly get to hot in it, but when it is cold, nothing is better.

Default Here is the info

Umara’s
    P.O. Box 853, Slana, AK 99586
    Owner/Artist: Dora M. Buchea (Siberian Yupik – Eskimo)
    Tel: (907) 822-3074

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default wolverine hat

I bought a wolverine hat with an otter brow trim from a woman in Cantwell. I can`t imagine any hat being warmer. Her business name is Dirt Bag Sewing,box 85,Cantwell,Al. It was 250 bucks and worth every nickle.

Anybody have a pattern for a beaver hat that they are willing to copy ?? I'd like to try and make one for myself.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast