Thread: Bringing a boat in from out-of-state.

Default Bringing a boat in from out-of-state.

Hey guys, I am thinking about bringing my own boat up from the lower 48 to use this summer. I haven't checked into it yet but was wondering if anyone can tell me how big of a hassle this will be. The boat is a 24 footer that has been used on lake Michigan. Can anyone tell me if there are required safety courses, additional safety items you are required to have, etc. to be legal on the salt water out of Seward or Homer? Like I said I haven't tried to read up on it yet, I guess I wasn't in the mood to try to decipher it all just yet.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I towed my boat up from North Carolina in April and had no issues. Theres alot of big hills so make sure you got enough truck. Make sure you got some extra tires and bearings, and if you are preparred for the worst, nothing will happen. Thats the way it works for me. Boating is boating, you don't need any special certs or anything, the only thing different up here is, insted of life jackets you have survival suits!!

Boating regulations/requirements aren't any different up here. Just make sure you're in compliance with the CG regs.

The primary factors you'll need to pay attention to in Alaska are the extreme tides (and associated currents in some areas) and weather. I strongly recommend you get with someone in the area you're planning on operating out of up here and pick their brain clean of as much local info as you can. Also recommend going out with them once or twice before going out on your own.

I towed my 2452 Bayliner from Oregon to Seward two Summers ago and left the boat stored in Soldotna. Our trip was long and uneventful. One cracked boat fender and one broken bolt on the trailer. Alaska only requires that the boat is legally licensed from your home state and you have the CG required equipment.
    We have the boat on the water 20-25 days a Summer between Seward, Homer and Whittier. It has been very worth while and we have been very happy with the decision to bring and to leave the boat in Alaska.
    I would question towing a boat all the way to Alaska just to tow it back home at the end of Summer. It is a looooong way up there, and longer towing at 55 to 60 mph.

Default Out of state boats

You can get tons of information about boating in Alaska at http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/index.htm including info on safety equipment, survival and cold water immersion. If Alaska becomes the state of principal use for your boat, I recommend registration with the state through Department of Motor Vehicles. Enjoy boating in the Great Land and boat safe! Mike

I brought my 28 foot Carver Santa Cruz up from Salem OR in May of 07, the trailer got beat up a bit: lost a side bunk and one of the leaf springs in the forward axle popped loose. I didnt even realize the bunk was gone until we pulled over for the evening, have no idea where it went.

Dang frost heaves and a couple of BIG potholes I wasnt able to avoid made for an occasionally exciting ride.

I'd REALLY recommend you have it shrink wrapped before the trip, the boat made it just fine but it got incredibly dirty and road dust got inside everywhere, a few rock chips on the bottom paint too.

My tow vehicle is a 96 Suburban with a 454 engine in it, plenty of power but I was only getting 8 miles per gallon, and the cost of gas in Canada was horrific, if I was to do it again I'd fill up the 160 gallon tank in the boat while I was in the lower 48 and hand pump it to the tow vehicle to help defray fuel costs.

Also, I just barely cleared the CAN/AK custom stations overhang when I went through (about 2 inches to spare), and they tore the inside apart looking for contraband, (and didnt put it back) I had a 10-15 boxes of household goods in the boat and they opened every one of them. At least the customs agent left a really nice Leatherman behind for his troubles .

Default No problems

Make sure you have at least 2 spares for your trailer. Be prepared for Customs to search your boat at the Alaska line.

Also store all of your electronics in a cabinet with a lock.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Tried to block those frost heaves out of my mind. The worst section starts just north of Whitehorse, Yukon and goes into Alaska as far as Tok. South of Whitehorse the highways are very good. I'd bet that 80% of any damage sustained on the highway are between Whithorse and Tok.

All good info about bringing a boat over the Alcan. I would like to suggest you keep the boat as empty as possible.A boat is not a cargo trailer. Of all the boats I have towed over the highway(4 in all) I never loaded them with anything more than a sleeping bag. Also stop in Montana and have a new set of tires put on(they are the best priced), you will be sorry if you have to buy them in Canada. And have a great trip up!

Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the information guys. It will be nice to have my own boat to go out when and where I want to, as long as the weather cooperates.
    Thanks again
    Andy

Good luck. Please lets us know how the trip goes.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I drove down and picked up a 24' Trophy a few years back. The trip took about a week or so and was a lot of driving. If I had to do it again I would seriously look into the shipping costs before I committed the time, wear and tear, and cost for gas. If you have nothing better to do you will probably save a little money but will be lots of driving.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate