Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: AR Mags

  1. #1
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default AR Mags

    Hey guys, I got this link off of one of the forums i go to daily. Im honestly not sure if this goes here or not. Didnt think it went in swap n sell since im not selling anything. If this is in the wrong spot, sorry. Feel free to move it.

    Anyhow, Midway is selling Stoner Ar-15 Mags at ten dollars each. They have several thousand in stock and more on short backorder.

    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=219593

  2. #2
    Member bgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    344

    Default

    someone posted on arfcom last night that they sold out in 4 hours. 3000 mags!
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

  3. #3
    Member Alaskacajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    someone posted on arfcom last night that they sold out in 4 hours. 3000 mags!
    Someone? That was me....

    j/k

    At first I thought about buying some but decided to stick with P Mags....

    - Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

  4. #4
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default

    lol ****... 3000? I got it off of ZS but they usually have arfcom guys on there.

    i just hate seeing people charging $18 a mag in trade when you can get em for $10 elsewhere, so i felt i had to post it.

  5. #5
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    someone posted on arfcom last night that they sold out in 4 hours. 3000 mags!
    Thats par for the course. Brownells added shifts to pull 24 hrs a day in their own mag factory. According to the president of brownells, they make 1500 a day and sell every single one of 'em!!

  6. #6

    Default Magpuls

    I filled my current magazine craving with 5 magpul ar15 magazines 30 rds from Charles Daly and 10- regular magazines 30rd from colemantyler. Both had them on Wednesday.

    Best of luck and happy t-day.

    Sincerely,

    Thomas

  7. #7
    Member Alaskacajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Ha Ha, there are already guys on ARFcom complaining about how crappy these new mags are! LOL

    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=794166


    - Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

  8. #8
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    Ha Ha, there are already guys on ARFcom complaining about how crappy these new mags are! LOL

    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=794166


    - Clint
    Looks like another 'you get what you pay for' deal. You cant go wrong with brownells proprietary mags. After all, they have a military contract also......and I'm guessing the military has gotten all the bugs worked out of 'em...

  9. #9
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    The Stoner mags are made by C-Products, lifetime warranty and no issues with them. I'll bet a dollar that Brownells doesn't own a magazine factory. This would be highly unusual for a distributor. If they are "making" mags, they are putting new floor plates on them, if they are even doing that.

  10. #10
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    The Stoner mags are made by C-Products, lifetime warranty and no issues with them. I'll bet a dollar that Brownells doesn't own a magazine factory. This would be highly unusual for a distributor. If they are "making" mags, they are putting new floor plates on them, if they are even doing that.
    Well, I'm pretty sure you owe me a buck. Linky here.

    Also, I heard this from an interview with the president of Brownells....

    They DO in fact make their own, but as to who owns the factory, yeah you still might be right....they might lease it . Whoever is in the know, correct me if I'm wrong.

  11. #11
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    I didn't see anything there stating that Brownell's was the manufacturer. Looks like a NHMTG mag with a green GI follower and a custom floor plate. I'm pretty sure a puny 1,500 mags a day couldn't pay for an magazine factory.

  12. #12
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Man, you're probably right, but again on their website, it says

    "Since we manufacture these mags ourselves, we can maintain a large inventory. So, if you need magazines in a hurry, even in quantity, we can get them to you ASAP."

    From here...

    BTW, 1500 mags a day at 18 bucks a pop 365 days a year.....$9,855,000 gross. I'd say just shy of 10 mil is doing OK.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    After all, they have a military contract also......and I'm guessing the military has gotten all the bugs worked out of 'em...
    The military removed thousands of magazines from the inventory manufactured by Cooper and Sanchez because of feeding problems.

    So there's no guarantee's, even with military hardware.

  14. #14
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    I am curious about this and will man up with my dollar if proven wrong. My guess is buy "build" they mean they buy the 4 magazine parts and assemble them. I would be happy and impressed if they were bending their own aluminum.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I didn't see anything there stating that Brownell's was the manufacturer. Looks like a NHMTG mag with a green GI follower and a custom floor plate. I'm pretty sure a puny 1,500 mags a day couldn't pay for an magazine factory.
    I don't think it'd take an entire factory to manufacture 1500 magazines a day.

    A small shop, four people, one running a stamping machine, one doing finish work, one assembling the magazines and one packaging. 1500 magazines a day at $18.00 a pop x five days a week x 52 weeks a year, and you've got a nice little profitable manufacturing set up going. Brownell's is already selling other products, so no additional cost marketing your "new" in house manufactured product.

  16. #16
    Member byrd_hntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Squarebanks
    Posts
    661

    Default Got mine today

    I ordered 5 of them, and I can say that I don't really like the followers but I can change those easy. Other than that they are nice mags. Ill see how they handle this weekend.

  17. #17
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Just to clarify, you bought the Brownell's mags and don't like the followers? Just curious what you don't like about them, please elaborate.

    I upgraded a half dozen mil-surplus Colt mags of mid 80's manufacture using the Brownell's parts (new floor plates, springs, and the green follower) about a year ago. I've had absolutely no problems with them since.

    I also bought one of the Magpul 30-rounders with the side window last summer. It's a great mag and I would certainly buy more of those. Brownell's shows them out of stock in every flavor, so I'll hold off until this big election gun rush starts to wind down. Figure about February or March and things will probably be caught up again.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  18. #18
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    ...green follower...

    I also bought one of the Magpul 30-rounders with the side window last summer. It's a great mag and I would certainly buy more of those. Brownell's shows them out of stock in every flavor, so I'll hold off until this big election gun rush starts to wind down. Figure about February or March and things will probably be caught up again.
    JOAT, I was under the impression that the green follower was top notch as far as they go. I got my hands on a half dozen or so magpul's with a window and they seem to be a great mag. Have yet to test 'em out yet....like the dust cover when not in use....Kinda neat!

    BTW, thanks for giving me the AR disease...JERK!! Actually, my wife thanks you....HA!

  19. #19
    Member byrd_hntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Squarebanks
    Posts
    661

    Default Stoner mags

    Sorry I guess I should have clarified a bit. I ordered 5 of the Stoner Mags that North Polar first posted about. I actually think I ordered them that night. They do not have the nice green followers (I think they are magpul followers). They have a gray follower in them. They work so far but I like the green ones better. I have a bunch of the green ones, I got a whole box of them at a gun show a few years ago so I just changed them out. Ill run them this weekend and let you know how they worked.

    byrd

  20. #20
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Sorry I guess I should have clarified a bit. I ordered 5 of the Stoner Mags that North Polar first posted about. I actually think I ordered them that night. They do not have the nice green followers (I think they are magpul followers). They have a gray follower in them. They work so far but I like the green ones better. I have a bunch of the green ones, I got a whole box of them at a gun show a few years ago so I just changed them out. Ill run them this weekend and let you know how they worked.

    byrd
    I hope those mags work out for ya. I do have to say i envy you though. Getting a whole box of mags at the gun show a while back. I was lucky to get 8 at this years.

    At some point im planning on getting magpul followers but we'll see.

    If you dont like those ones you bought though, ill buy em off ya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •