Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Fishing Hole

Question Homer Fishing Hole

Anyone had success angling for kings in the lagoon on Homer Spit recently?

Was thinking about heading that way this weekend, but haven't heard of much action yet. It's a long drive from Anchorage to practice my casting. Definitely want to make sure the prospects are favorable before making the trip.

For those who have fished these waters before, what would you recommend using to put a salmon on the bank?

Thanks!

Default homer fishing hole

THERE HERE!!! eggs or herring, with or without bobber.Fish in the current.

In what kind of numbers? Decent chance of catching one, or just a few milling about?? Might think about flying down Sunday afternoon if there's more than a few.

-Brian

Talking

Thanks for the update, fishon. Sounds promising.

Are the fish holding in the lagoon, or simply coming and going with the tides?

Default Got ya!

The hole was engineered to allow the fish to drop in during the high tide, and then hold them there once the low tide eliminates the stream that brought them to it.

I suppose they could swim out on the next high, but keep in mind they've been imprinted with the hole as origin of their spawn. Because of this, they just cruise around going nowhere except on the end of your line.

Anyhow, that's how it's supposed to work. Based on my times there and observations, once they get in, they are history...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Unhappy

That's encouraging, but I'm still trying to justify the 10-hour, 220-mile drive. What a haul!

Really want to tangle with some chrome, but it seems like I could stay local and have just as good of a chance of hooking up at Ship Creek right now.

Thumbs up

Just got a call from a buddy who fished the incoming tide this morning. Sounds like the results are rather sporadic with folks managing to land an occasional king. One guy caught two on herring under a bobber. The biggest was estimated to be around 25 pounds.

Wink Go Memorial Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    That's encouraging, but I'm still trying to justify the 10-hour, 220-mile drive. What a haul!

Really want to tangle with some chrome, but it seems like I could stay local and have just as good of a chance of hooking up at Ship Creek right now.
    If you go Memorial, Anchor River is open as well. There are other places along the road to fish as well. Check whats up at the Russian, Kenai, and Ninilchik rivers as you head up or down... might consider Halibut fishing on a half day charter with Rainbow Charters too...

Just some suggestions to round out the trip for you

Fae - You suggested checking out the Russian...it's closed until mid-June for both salmon and rainbow fishing. Nothing to check out there, unless it's just a hike for other purposes.

-Brian

Tomcat....I have fished the lagoon many times over many years, usually when down there for some other reason. It is aggravating though, especially on the incoming tide when it gets extremely packed and many people get extremely rude. I've avoided this by using nothing but #6 vibrax spinners while fishing there. Most of the techniques used in the lagoon are just modified snagging techniques so you snag them in the mouth. Not my style. I generally spend about 2 hours casting for each king I have caught there on spinners. BUT I work the spinner slow and have not snagged a king for the last 10 I have caught there. Just a thought.

Brian

Default Lagoon Looked Slow

Just got back from Homer...
    We stopped by the Lagoon on 2 different occasions, looked dead. Asked a few people how it was and they also said that they had seen nothing.
    Highlight of the trip was seeing a Ring-Necked Pheasant crossing the road!

Glad I didn't end up going this weekend. Sounds like the fish won't be showing in any decent numbers for at least another week or two.

When I finally getting around to making the trip though, I"ll be sure to subscribe to some of Doc's medicine and pack a few Vibrax spinners.

Thumbs up Homer Fishing Hole

Just thought I would update about the fishing hole. I caught one fish there on low tide this morning. 6:00 am. One guy caught one on eggs at high tide around 10:30 am. And as the tide was almost out they picked up three or four on the outflowing water going back into the bay. Pretty slow but they are showing up finally.

Thumbs up

Nice job putting one on the bank, SM! What were you using and how big was the fish?

Thanks for the update.

Smile Fish Hole

I was using a #5 silver Vibrax. High tide was around midnight, I fished the hole at low tide the next morning. The king had to come in the night before or a previous high tide. As the sun was coming up I could see ripples out in the water and casted to it. Turned out to be a 15# buck. Already in the smoker. This weekend will be crazy with people down there. But I am sure I will be right there again.

You did well...

Yesterday, three friends returned fishless from a four-day trip to the "hole." They said it was pretty much dead the whole time they were down there. Threw everything in the tackle box at 'em and nothing. Evidently, one guy even fished all night and still got skunked.

They figure it cost $150 in gas per vehicle roundtrip. Ouch!

Default Homer Fishing Hole

Yes gas sure isn't getting any cheaper. I think it cost me around $75 in gas to go down there and back. I think i am going to car pool from now on. that is a little much even if you can limit out on kings. Interesting side note is that a guy I talked to down on the spit caught his first king there on the 14th. He also said he caught one on the 15th and 16th, 2 on the 17th and 1 on the 18th. He said that the local charter guys could verify it also.

Default Someone else saw it too!!

I also saw the pheasant on the side of the road just outside Homer! I had to go get my wife to read this forum because she thought I was insane when I about wrecked the truck when I saw it.

Back to fishing...

We went out on 5/20 out of Homer, got pretty beat up in lots of wind and big swells. The tides were fine, and we were able to load up on chickens inside two hours before letting the weather win and returning to port.

For the Fishin' Hole, we saw around 10 people fishing, with several at the cleaning tables dealing with their catch, so there were at least a few fish in there.

Default pheasants...

there are lots of pheasants in town...unfortunately i mean IN town...no hunting...darn!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Homer spit a bust

We went to the Homer spit saturday night and there was about 30 people fishing and the whole time only 3 fish where caught. Saturday we had our halibut charter and it was pretty good. since the weather was so nice and we didnt want to drive back to Fairbanks yet we decided to go out on another one and my dads bud landed a 70lb. halibut which made the second day well worth it. In all it was a good trip besides going to the homer spit.

BU YA!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast