Thread: Scope mounted spotlights

Default Scope mounted spotlights

Been googling spotlights to do some night time calling. It will be a Christmas gift to myself.
    I have only been able to run into the Primos brand and their reviews on them seem to be half and half. Any one have any other suggestions? Thanks in Advance.

I have the $80 scope mounted spot light from SW, I forget the brand. It only took two trips for me to start leaving it at home. The wires get in the way, the battery feels like a hog in my pocket, and the peformance leaves much to be desired. I hated carrying the light and its components, a serious PITA I tell ya. Even on the darkest nights covered by clouds I can still see far enough through my scope to make a 100 yard shot without a light. So I started leaving it at home where it belongs. Actually it probably belongs back in the box at the store with more money in my pocket.

I'm kind of a bare bones person, meaning less is better. When I set out for calling I carry my gun, ammo, caller and that's it. There's a point where carrying too much crap is counter-productive and I found the night light just that.

I agree with WG I had my super duper surefire burn your retina light and I found I could only see where I pointed the light with it on, but turn it off, wait a minute and the whole field slowly came into view

Default night hunting

I can't find anywhere in the regs, hunting trapping or small game where it is legal to use a light, exept for tracking wounded game. If it is legal where is it at I couldn't locate it?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

You can use a light under a trapping license....it's one of the 'exceptions'.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

thank you Mud I knew I seen that somewhere last season. I kinda just scan to read and missed the best part
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Lights

To be more specific on the use of lights. From page 13 of the trapping regulations.

Exceptions: .... "artificial light may be used for the purpose of taking furbearers Nov 1 - Mar 31 in units 7 and 9-26 during an open season."

Default Lightforce

If you want probably the best around, get the LightForce 170. Here's a link to a great site that sells them.

http://www.tufflights.com/Item.asp?ItemID=99

The only problem up here is keeping that battery warm and not running it on high too long. If you have a 12Volt jack on your snowmachine, charge it between stands. Also, change out the wires for some arctic grade stuff that won't snap in the cold. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice will probably just give it a try with out the light sometime this weekend. See how I do.
    Ironartist: It also took me a ton of glancing through the regs before i found it. Wasn't to keen on taking anyones words for it. needed to read it for myself and now that I have its game on.