Thread: whats a good scope for mini-14

Default whats a good scope for mini-14

Well I just got a new tapco furniture set for my mini-14 , can anyone recommend a good scope (brand/power) for around $100 this gun is just used for fun target practice thanks.

For a hundred bucks or so, a Bushnell Banner 3-9 would work, although I have issues with calling it a "good scope". In my experience (had 3 of 'em), a mini-14 ain't a very accurate rifle, so spending a bunch on a real good scope would be akin to putting silk stockings on a hog. But, the Mini/Banner combo will be loads of fun and shoot minute of beer can to 100 yards or so.

Mark

The Mini-14 is the perfect rifle for a Scout Scope.

If possible spend a little more for a better scope. In the long run you will have fewer issues, it might cost more but; Things like (replacing a cheapo with another) especially if you don't like the optics and or other issues; like lost time, sighting in issues, scope breaks, spending more $ on ammo, because of a cheap scope, etc... Pentax has some fair optics you may want to look at in the price range you were thinking about, maybe slightly higher in price.

Default thanks

for the input . What power would be best 3x9x40?

3x9x40 is nice as rule of thumb. You may also consider the 3.5x10x50 with a ballistic plex if it doesn't interfere with that new stock.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    Well I just got a new tapco furniture set for my mini-14 , can anyone recommend a good scope (brand/power) for around $100 this gun is just used for fun target practice thanks.

Sometimes you can find a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5x or 1.75-4x(turkey reticle) for near $100. Also, the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x is close to $100. These would be my top choices for around $100. I like a low powered variable for the Mini-14 because of the wide field of view if needed for closer work, and I find that 4x is adequete for up to 300 yards for larger targets(which is really the max effectiveness for most Mini-14's). These scopes may be parellax adjusted for 75 or 100 yards instead of 150 as many rifle scopes are, however, I have never noticed any accuracy degredation to 300 yards because of it.

Get a 3-9x32 Bushnell .22Mag scope, low priced and very durable. I have used one on my .22WM for 10 years now and this is what I carry on my snowmachine all winter and in my boat all boating season. Never had a problem with it and it can take the "recoil" of a .223 no problem, heck can be used on a .300WM also. Cost me about $50 from Minnick's when I bought it.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

On the Mini-14, the recoil is not really the issue...it's the bolt slamming back and forth that'll jar the scope more than recoil. Even so, just about any scope designed for centerfire should be able to stand up to it. I'd probably stay away from 40-50mm objectives, they jsut don't look right on the compact mini-14. a 33 or 36mm should do you fine.

Default thanks

Thank you all for the info....

Also some Mini-14's are very accurate. Shot one scoped one that would touch bullets at 50 yards and make small groups at 100. Every rifle is an individual.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".