Thread: laminated nautical maps

Question laminated nautical maps

I'm interested in purchasing some laminated nautical maps of southeast Alaska (Petersburg down to Ketchikan) for general navigation planning and was wondering if anyone might recommend an online website. I do have a chart plotter on board, but would like a paper backup just in case I lost power to the unit. And, what scale would be best?
    Thanks, Steelguy

I bought mine on the APU campus "map store" in Anchorage and laminated them myself. Get the maps you want and then go to your local high school. Most of the time they have a large laminating machine and will do it pretty cheaply (Mine was $.25 a foot) I had to fold the map in 1/2 though to fit the machine. There are a few places that will laminate them for you - UPS store is one that I know of. I think the Map Store will laminate them also. I'm not sure of anyone who can laminate them full size.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

maptech sells laminated nautical maps here:

http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepage...TOKEN=98540154

Default thanks

thanks for the tips, I will look into both. In the meantime, Staples says they laminate 36"x24", and they're usually pretty cheap.

I got my charts done at Fedex/kinkos on northern lights. It was a lot of money for 2 or maybe it was 3 maps. Close to 100 bucks! But they did my PWS chart and staples said it was too big for them to do.
    Last edited by ken210; 11-25-2008 at 02:03. Reason: forgot stuff

$100. bucks for 2 or 3 maps seems WAAAAY out of line from what I remember having mine done several years ago. I think I remember about $20. each from the Map Store but that was at least 5 years or so ago...

Default lamination

not a professional job - but I had my wife pick up some self laminate at an office supply store. It was 17.00$ for a roll - lookslike it will do 3 or 4 maps double sided. It isn't as good as professional - but looks like it will hold up fine.

Default Charts

I go to the NOAA Coastal Survey site and print my own. I put them in document protectors and have a binder of charts. You can zoom these things way up. Awefully handy. Having a binder with highly zoomed in charts can be useful in finding smaller features. My $.02 worth
    http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16700.shtml

Default Another free option.

This is a free option that requires some thought.

You can download Maptech's Chart Navigator Viewer here http://www.maptech.com/support/doc.cfm?docid=123&plid=24 .
    You can go to NOAA site and download BSB raster charts here.
    http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/m..._agreement.htm
    Export the downloaded ZIP file into the folder that ChartViewer is looking for which is set up in the charts tab. You can then use ChartViewer to explore areas and set up routes or waypoints. I spent some time and using some reference materials identified good "Hidey Hole" spots to hide from weather if necessary in areas I frequent. I got fishing spots from friends, forums and looked at contours and found areas that looked like good fishing prospects and set up waypoints for them as well. You can use icons to distinguish waypoints. You can then use the export function to export your routes and waypoints to a text file. Here is where the thinking comes in. You may need to convert this text file to the format used by your chart plotter. There are some tools to assist in this but I haven't tried any yet.

You can also use this software to create 8 x 10 chart packets for the boat with your waypoints showing to use as backup. This will create an overview chart with grids ID'd. There is then a new page for each grid section that is a larger scale. The scale is dependent upon the scale of the original raster chart. The final product is a packet that is approximately the same size and scale as the original. They look very usable for a backup. You have an option to print them with or without your waypoints showing. I put each page in a clear 3 hole sleeve and put them in a small three ring binder. I create a binder for each area that I tend to visit and just use the binder that I need. If you have a dry erase pen you can mark on the sleeve to track your progress.

It may not be the most sophisticated option but the price is right. If you wanted you could have the 8x10 sheets laminated but I find the plastic sleeve works well. It is easy to reprint any pages that get worn or damaged.

I have downloaded detail maps of south central coastal areas including Cook Inlet, Kodiak, Resurrection Bay, Prince William Sound and the Juneau area.

I have gotten in the habit of bringing the relevant chart binder when going out with someone else. It helps me identify the landmarks if I am new to an area and gives me piece of mind that I know where we are and how to get back.

On the same NOAA site you can download a PDF of the Coastal Pilot Series (9 for mainland Alaska) and find all the coves, bays and islands mentioned in the book on the charts. It is a good way to get a feel for an area while waiting for the snow to lift.

Feel free to PM me if you would like further information.
    Last edited by Tolman24; 11-25-2008 at 13:17. Reason: New URL for charts.

Default Water Proof Paper

I did something like Toman did, except I used the National Geo TOPO water proof paper, REI & Sportsman Warehouse sells it. I have PDF only the parts of the PWS that I'll go to. Did like a 60 miles radis out of Whittier on 8"x11", printed both sides of the paper, and have in a 3 ring binder. Yes I have the big maps if I ever need over all looks.

Default Another option

I found another option that would be even easier if you want 8X11 paper. I think it is less than a few months old.
    http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/s...kletChart.html

The NOAA BookletChart™ is an experimental product that you can print at home for free. They are made to help recreational boaters locate themselves on the water.

The Booklet Chart is reduced in scale and divided into pages for convenience, but otherwise contains all the information of the full-scale nautical chart. Bar scales are also reduced in scale, but are accurate when used to measure distances in a BookletChart. Excerpts from the United States Coast Pilot are included. Most chart notes are consolidated on a single page for easy reference. Emergency information for the charted area is printed on the back cover.
    Booklet charts are updated weekly for all Notice to Mariners.

You can down a booklet for any NOAA chart out there. It makes a nice backup to your GPS if you do not have the funds for the regular charts. If you print these on waterproof paper as recommended they should last quite a while. They other nice feature is that you can download again to get the latest changes. I downloaded 3 charts last night to see how they worked and I was pleasantly surprised. The Coastal Pilot excerpts are a nice added bonus as well as emergency radio channels, phone numbers, and radio distress call procedures. I think it will be beneficial to small boats with limited space.

Default Two sided

I had mine done at Kinko's but i had them put two maps back to back and laminate them. So it took up less space and I just turn it over to see the other map.

Instead of laminating my maps I used this liquid to water proof them. Works great and much cheaper.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Instead of laminating my maps I used this liquid to water proof them. Works great and much cheaper.
    What's it called and where do you get it? Also how long does it last?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    What's it called and where do you get it? Also how long does it last?

Thanks
    Forgot the name of it. I got it at the APU store. It has last me three years so far.
    When you apply this stuff you have to peg down the corners. The liquid tends to make the paper curl. Once dry just roll it up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I believe Gary's liquid waterproofer may be Stormproof, made by Nikwax or someone like that.

A company called ChartGraphix used to make and laminate custom charts, as well as the standard US series, with a much higher resolution printer than the NOAA charts. I remember you could get NOAA charts in enhanced colors and minus all the LORAN info no one uses anymore anyway.

I like to attach charts to foam and use West System clear epoxy to make wall coverings/drop downs, and settee table tops in the boat.
    Mostly decorative, but it's great to show guests where you are or where you're talking about on the galley table or bulkhead.

Killin' it!

Default Correction...

Thats OceanGraphix

http://www.oceangrafix.com/o.g/NOAA-Chart-Products.html

They still do laminated charts.

Killin' it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    I found another option that would be even easier if you want 8X11 paper. I think it is less than a few months old.

The NOAA BookletChart™ is an experimental product that you can print at home for free. They are made to help recreational boaters locate themselves on the water.
    This is GREAT, thanks for the link.

jay
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Thanks for the info GRAY and everyone else .

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post

Thanks, this is an awesome resource! I'll be making a few laminated binders with this material for sure.