Thread: bear recurves

Default bear recurves

I am trying to get into traditional archery and hunt with that only next fall. I have the opportunity to buy a Kodiak Hunter (green colored recurve) in either a 50 or 55#. Do I do this or have a custom longbow made for me. I have gotten advice from a couple folks already, just trying to get 3rd and 4th opinions, cause I wanna do this right.
    What are the bear recurves worth in really nice condition?
    I know some of you guys are well versed in the bear bow values.
    Thanks in advance

built in the 1970's, I would guess the bows value is between $125- $175 right now. The good thing about the Kod Hunter is it is ready to shoot now, waiting for a custom longbow can take a while in some cases. shoot straight.

Default Bear Recurves

It depends on the condition and the model of the bow. For example, newer models are made with different materials than a vintage "Bear" bow. I would expect to pay between $200 and $350 bucks depending on quality. My favorite bow was a homemade longbow I made from a green alder tree but it took a lot of practice to get used to it. Since factory bows are engineered with more precision than any hand-widdled bow I could ever make, my advice to you is to go buy one. Then all you need to do is focus on making a good ethical kill shot.

Palmer Ak

Default Recurves

The best advice anyone can give is get out there and shoot some of what interests you.
    Longbows and recurves.
    I'm a recurve shooter and do not like the way a longbow feels.
    Thats just me, nothing wrong with the bows.
    Get your hands on them and shoot.
    Good luck with that.

Mile 102 Glenn Highway

If you look on Ebay you can see what they are selling for on there. You don't want to start by pulling to much weight. Most everything I have read recommends starting a low draw weight until you get the proper form down. With my compound I had been shooting 65# and I started traditional with an older 43# Bear recurve that I got off of craigs list for $50. After I got comfortable shooting at 43# I picked up a 50# Red Wing recurve off of Ebay for $100. Since then I have went to a 56# Toelke Whip longbow that I had made for me. If you are thinking about getting a bow built I would recommend contacting Dan Toekle He does great work and he had my bow to me in less than 5 weeks. PM me if you would like to shoot one of his bows and we can try to get together.

Palmer Alaska

First when it comes to dating and value Alasksbowhunter is the authority! I have a 1967 Kodiak hunter that I love, probably the best shooting bow in my collection and I have found that most of the "classics" outperform the newer bows. The woods and craftsmanship were allot better back in the day. Akdd is on the money when it comes to draw weight, however most folks have no problem with a 45-50lb bow.

Before you ask no one shoots the Hunter but me ever period.....sorry but that's a debut year bow and the Kodiak hunter, the supper Kodiak and I all share the same birth year......the wife isn't even allowed to shoot it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.