Thread: New custom rifle

Default New custom rifle

Hello,

For the custom folks....

I am looking at buying a new custom rifle in the next 12-24 months. Must sell my Steyr first. Anybody bought a custom rifle from Rocky Mountain in Dawson Creek, BC ? Satisfied ?

The rifle would have a Borden action, Mcmillan Edge stock, Shilen Select Match barrel, Jewel trigger, Talley Steel Rings and bases, Knurled thread protector, powder coated etc. Price with theses options around 3,900$.

I was also looking at the Mcmillan custom hunting rifles (pretty much same pricing) but feels I am getting a better rifle with Rocky Mountain. Do you agree ?

Any other suggestions ? Anything better for same pricing ?

The rifle would probably be in 300 WSM, must be light and will see rain, snow etc.

Thanks

Default Custom Rifle

McWhorter Rifles...they are out of Georgia 9-12 months wait for a custom or buy what they have available in the gun vault. mcwhorterrifles.com

Default Another option

I have an HS Precision SPL in 300wsm. I really enjoy this rifle. It will shoot 1/4" groups w/ the Barnes TTSX's. I paid right at $2400.00.

Theres an HS Precision PHL .270wsm for sale at Boondocks. I have seen the rifle shot and it too will produce very, very small groups. It is only $1900.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr2008 View Post
    Hello,

For the custom folks....

I am looking at buying a new custom rifle in the next 12-24 months. Must sell my Steyr first. Anybody bought a custom rifle from Rocky Mountain in Dawson Creek, BC ? Satisfied ?

Thanks
    Never heard of them so can't comment. Just make sure you have a guaranteed delivery date with whomever you pick to build it. If they will not promise it by a certain date move on. And make sure there is some type of "penalty clause" in your contract if they go beyond the promised delivery date.
    Tennessee

I picked up a Nosler custom in 300 WSM this summer. Shoots sub MOA and carries like a dream at 7.25lbs. I picked it up new for $2K.

Factory test target is .70" - it will do better than that on a good day.

Typically these have little to no wait time.

What kind of Steyr are you selling?

Default hodgeman

I have a steyr Pro hunter stainless in 300 WSM with a Leupold VX-L 4.5x14x50. Bought the package 12 months ago and shot only 15 rounds. No major complaints and shoots very good. The combo is a bit heavy for walking long distance and I was expecting a little bit more clarity from a 50mm scope. The recoil is soft.

Thanks for all the info.

Default Weaver Rifles

I am having one built while i am deployed by Kevin from Weaver Rifles out of Colorado. My buddy has had several built by him and they are all great rifles. If you google Weaver rifles you can check out some of his stuff.

Default HS Precision

Latest news is that they're endorsed by Lon Horiuchi himself...

thats not a custom, thats a lego rifle, they buy all the parts and put it together for you....

not worth the 3900 in my opinion.
    i paid 3000 for my ultra light arms, he builds the actions himself, the saftey is the only one of its kind i've ever seen, the stock is built to the dimensions of my hands, that i traced on paper and mailed to him, the barrel is all he don't build on his bench. its shoots awesome and weighs right at 6.2lbs with irons sights and its a .416 rem mag....i'd buy one again in a heart beat, garunteed for life, he'll fix anything thats wrong with it. thats a custom rifle. he built it like i asked him to. i didn't pick options form a brochure i told him what i wanted and he told me if he could do it. he did.
    by the way it shoots better than the HS precision stocked .416 i had that was over 9lbs...
    since he builds his own actions, he can make any caliber you want, wildcat or otherwise...stainless on the barrel but my action is blued. and smooth smooth.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Brwnbr

While I agree that the Ultralight Arms rifles are nice, I think knocking some of the custom gun builders because they don't built their own actions is going a little far. You can assemble some very fine components and not have a nicely done custom rifle, it's the gunsmith that makes it a great rifle. Many fine custom rifles have been built on factory or custom actions by great gun builders that don't make actions. Some of the finest actions available are built by companies that don't usually sell complete rifles. Also, some of the best stocks on the market are made by companies that don't do custom rifles. Following your logic would lead one to conclude that D'Arcy Echols builds $10,000-$30,000+ lego rifles! I do know what you're getting at and I'm sure your rifle is perfect for you, but I would bet you just might fall in love with a "lego" rifle from another maker:-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Brwnbr

My HS is 100% built in one shop. Barrel, stock, action, trigger...everything! However, after looking at the Weaver site, I really like their rifles. Besides think about this one....if you could buy the best barrel, best action, best stock etc and putting them together, why wouldnt you? I agree that UltraLite Arms are great. I wish I had one, but if they make everything except the barrel, dosent that make it a semi-Lego? I used to think too that it is better to have everything built in one shop, but after thinking about it, I would want the best from everyone. I really love my HS, but I think it would be really cool to hand pick each part. To me that would be custom.

Default Greenbrier

Thanks for all the info.........

I am feeling the same way as Greenbrier. My goal was to get the best from everybody (Borden action, Mcmillan edge stock , Jewel trigger, Shilen select match barrel etc) and have a good person do the lego and powder coating. I don't think it get's better than that. All this for $3,900, it's pretty competitive versus many custom makers....

lol geez guys, didn't any of you grow up with legos in the house! you can make some awesome stuff with them! wasn't knockin' the guys who put them together, your all right some of them are awesome guns and shoot great and work fantastic, just custom to me is BUILT for me, not put together for me. I guess to me there is a difference between the two.
    and ya, there are 30,000$$ lego guns out there....and ya they probably shoot awesome! better than some BUILT for me guns.
    chances are high you'll be happy with any of the guns you get as long as they fit good, shoot good and look good. And alot of people can fit that bill. best of luck....i gotta go get my boys some legos for christmas now....
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol geez guys, didn't any of you grow up with legos in the house! you can make some awesome stuff with them! wasn't knockin' the guys who put them together, your all right some of them are awesome guns and shoot great and work fantastic, just custom to me is BUILT for me, not put together for me. I guess to me there is a difference between the two.
    and ya, there are 30,000$$ lego guns out there....and ya they probably shoot awesome! better than some BUILT for me guns.
    chances are high you'll be happy with any of the guns you get as long as they fit good, shoot good and look good. And alot of people can fit that bill. best of luck....i gotta go get my boys some legos for christmas now....

In what caliber?

lol they like the small caliber that can get sucked up in moms vac!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I get you, but I still say there is NO difference between your gun (which by the way uses extractors, bottom metal, trigger, magazine box, barrel, springs, firing pins, pillars for bedding, screws, etc. all "legos" made by somebody else) and my gun that uses a custom action, custom stock built to my LOP, Jewel trigger set to my specifiations, barrel to to my specifications, etc. I would be sceptical of somebody that makes all those parts, cause they can't be an expert craftsman in all those area. My boys just throw the legos around and play with the box. I'll trade you a box of legos for your .416 :-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."