Thread: Kicker on a river boat???

Default Kicker on a river boat???

I am looking for a boat just to dipnet from on the Kenai. I am thinking about a cheap jon-boat and using my 9.9 Yam kicker from my ocean boat as the motor. It pushes my Sea Sport around...What do you guys think of that idea???

I used to have a 14' jon and tried my 7.5 hp kicker on it in the Kenai and that was a mistake. It moved upstream but you needed a calendar instead of a watch to check the speed. I swapped to a 15 hp and found it was adequate but not much more then that for 2 people and a few fish…

AKFLY,
    I wondered if that might be the case, it moves the Sea Sport but not with any speed, torque, but no zip!

I have a 24 foot jet boat that crapped out on me last year. I have a 9.9 Yamaha that I used several times to dipnet on the Kenai. It worked great but it did take a while to get up the river. On good days there were so many fish caught, we were glad for the break! I think it will work fine.

Default Hull Speed

Kicker will only do hull speed (about 6 mph).

If river flows 4 mph you go 2mph or 10 mph depending.

I have one on my boat.

I do worry about destroying it when getting spun sideways into the bushes/trees on a river bend (like that never happens to anybody! maybe not an issue on the lower kenai, but it can be on places like 20-mile) or in other unexpected tight situations because it sticks out the back alot when tilted up.

Default Prop

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    AKFLY,
    I wondered if that might be the case, it moves the Sea Sport but not with any speed, torque, but no zip!
    The prop used on an large boat as a kicker may have a prop tuned for torque not speed. In order to use your motor on a smaller boat and acheive the proper speed/power ratio you may need to re-prop for the river. Give it a go !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    I am looking for a boat just to dipnet from on the Kenai. I am thinking about a cheap jon-boat and using my 9.9 Yam kicker from my ocean boat as the motor. It pushes my Sea Sport around...What do you guys think of that idea???
    I think it would work faily well with a 10-12 foot boat if you didn't bring too much weight (your buddy). It sure would be better if it were a 20 if you are considering anything larger than that for a boat. I run a 30 hp (about 20 at the pump) Johnson Jet and it will push my 14 foot aluminum boat at about 25 mph with 2 guys, 5 gallons of gas, and a large cooler on the flat. I have done 3 also, but it is a little slower ( about 20 mph) and slightly slower to get on step.