Close Unit 14
2. What is the problem you would like the Board to address?
Low sheep population = poor sheep hunting. I believe it is time to take some drastic measures in the way the state of Alaska manages sheep.
What is causing our sheep population problems? Nobody knows! It could be weather, predators, it could be us! Not sure we can blame one group but something must be done to preserve Alaskans precious recourses. ADF&G did hire a sheep biologist for Region II and this is a great start, but if we are required to wait for ADF&G to do “studies” we will end up with the state going to a draw on all sheep hunting.
I would rather be proactive than reactive when it comes to the management of Alaskan sheep. Here is a study that would provide ADF&G data on how much a factor we (hunters) have on the sheep population.
I am requesting that we Close sheep hunting in Unit 14 for the next 5 years.
3. What will happen if this problem is not solved?
Sheep hunting opportunities for all users will continue decrease. The available tags numbers will continue to drop and the quality of the hunt will continue to suffer.
4. What solution do you prefer?
Close sheep hunting in Unit 14 for the next 5 years.
5. Does your proposal address improving the quality of the resource harvested or products produced? If so, how?
No, no resource would be harvested if my proposal is implemented.
6. Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt others:
A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?
Everyone that has an interest in sheep hunting would find that after five years, this would simply be the best Dall sheep hunting Unit in the world.
B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?
For 5years all sheep hunters would have to apply for other sheep hunting Units. ADF&G may lose some money, but I believe this would be minimal (if at all) since those hunters that applied for Unit 14, would put in for other Units. Guides.
7. List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.
• Make it an archery only area for the next five years. See my other proposal.
• Ignore our sheep problem and wait for sheep to go to a statewide draw. I believe we should do whatever we can before we allow this to happen.