Thread: Winter boating (bragging)

Default Winter boating (bragging)

I spent three days in the sound Nov. 13-15 and we had awesome water weather. Never saw a deer but had a great trip. The point of the thread is to brag on my boat and the way it is set up. I love it all, 22' Weldcraft Ocean king has excellent storage, 2 of us slept on the boat, plenty of room for gear. Yamaha 150, Yamaha 8 kicker, Yamaha 8 2 stroke for Alaska series seward 8' 10" raft (scary fast with one guy). Its pretty easy to tow 3/4 ton Chevy, launched with rear chains, pretty effecient on fuel roughly 3.4 to 3.6 MPG @ 30MPH. I like that I can pull up to the beach and generally get on and off with knee high rubber boots. Big buddy heater w/ 5 LB bottle, and 6V from cig. lighter connection is plenty to keep it warm (a little moist) but acceptable. The boat handles all the water I want to be in, everybody would like a bigger boat when on the water. She has excellent fish holds, wash down pump, dual batt., dual bilges, halibut hold pump, Scotty elec. downriggers, Ace Line hauler. I can't figure why Dewey's didn't move more of these when price was right there with the Hewes Ocean Pro. The finish work in and out on this boat is very nice and the substructure is far superior to the hewes in my opinion. I have owned a Duckworth, Grayling, and lots of smaller boats, but this is the best set up piece of equipment I have owned. We did score a wolverine on the trip.

Charterboat Operator

Default jelous

looks like you had a great trip, even without deer. Saw your chained up truck at the harbor. tried to catch the 1:30 tunnel on the 14th, wouldn't you know it, power was out! could'nt evacuate the air so, no go thru for undisclosed amout of time, sat there at Bear valley for 2 hours. talking to my buddy who was waiting for me in the harbor, he decides to go out and us to meet later. we get thru the tunnel at 3:30, pushing daylight hours to get out, only to find the wind blowing w-sw at 32 knots gusting to 42kt.
    bay was solid white and at 29 degrees, no way i was headed out, been there done that! came back to town with plans to hit the 7:30 tunnel the next day, still blowin!
    week before on Friday, made it about 2 miles past G-Wood and lost an axel on the trailer.
    am begining to think i should just hang it up for the year/ nope. got to give it one more chance.
    Nice wolverine!

Trapperbob...sounds like a great trip. Thanks for letting us know about your boat. I am looking at getting an ocean boat sometime in the near future so I'll keep my eye out for Ocean Kings. Not very common though.

I own a 22' oceanking and have really enjoyed it so far. I love the ride of the boat in 3'-4' seas, you think you are going to pound on the other side of the wave but come down soft. They only draw back is the low bow, but I have dunked it under and it did just fine. My family and I have done several trips out of Whittier for two to three days and find it is just fine(only three of us) and a small dog. I installed the Newport heater and have been pleased so far. I also have two fans for the windows up front. I might install another heater up front (espar, probably) for more heat in the winter down on the floor. I wish I had a standup marine head for the wife but we get by with the portapotty. The boat is very well built and I have found zero problems with the hull or welds. The windows did leak when I recieved the boat new so I had that fixed and weldcraft actually paid the bill. Great company to work with. I agree with Trapperbob about the weldcraft oceanking, anytime you can get out in the winter and have fun is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice!!! making me jealous.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Great boat Trapperbob. I have a 2009 Weldcraft 188 Rebel and I canít be happier with its performance and quality; itís perfect for the lakes and rivers down here in Montana. My choice for a salt boat when I move up this spring is a tossup between a CG or Weldcraft Cuddy King; Iíd go Ocean King but really need the camping comforts of the Cuddy for the wife and girls.

Glad you had a great time with the family, and it sounds like the King served you well! Iíd love to hear more from other Weldcraft owners out there.

Bob
    Heard about your score on the wolverine, excellent
    looks like typical PWS mix of weather- crappy and extemily nice.

congrats
    Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Nice photos and even nicer boat! It looked a little cold out there good thing you had the heater on board. Glad to hear you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Congrats on the Wolverine! Looks like a great trip was had!