Thread: Establilsh a moose archery season.

Default Establilsh a moose archery season.

Establish a moose archery season.

What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

I would like to see additional hunting opportunities for archery hunters.

The majority of the lower 48 states, offer special hunts or dedicated hunting areas for archery hunters. These states offer their “best hunting times” as an incentive for those choosing harder, less successful means of hunting. Alaska does offer a few token hunts, but as a whole archery hunters are not being represented very well. (For example Moose season in Unit 14A/14B for archery is Aug 10 –Aug 17, truly the worst moose hunting days available).

What will happen if this problem is not solved?

Many hunters that are willing to hunt by bow have chosen not to since very few incentives are given to the archery community. By not having a separate area or hunting seasons for these user groups hunting pressure will continue to grow. We can continue to go with the status quo and continue to allow rifle hunters to have the majority of the harvest.

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted you solution, what would the new regulation say?

Establish an archery Moose season for Units 13, 14 and 16.

Open season dates: Sept 20 – Oct 15. All the same rules that applies for rifle hunts.

Also Hunters would have to choose, when purchasing hunting license if they will be hunting with rifle or bow.

Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt other:

A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?

Archery hunters would benefit by having better dates which to hunt. The results would hopefully see an increase their success rate. All rifle hunters. If a separate season was establish for archery hunters, hunting pressure would be spread over a longer period thus resulting in better hunting conditions for both user groups. Local archery shops would see an increase in business. ADF&G will see more $$$ because of the new 13D draw archery sheep hunt.

B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?

Any hunter that wants to hunt in both the rifle and bow season would not be able to do so.

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

tv check your pms and get back with me thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Try contacting The Moose organization here .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Try contacting The Moose organization here .
    For what?

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    For what?

Troy

To see if they can help with a proposal for the archery moose
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've been wishing they would change the dates for 20 years, but I don't think I would want to have to make the decision between rifle/archery when I pick up my tag. Rather, it would be good to have archery to fall back on if rifle season is not productive. I'm not a trophy hunter, I hunt to fill the freezer and while archery is nostalgic, if I find a legal bull during rifle season, I would hate to have to pass him up because I decided on archery too early.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I've been wishing they would change the dates for 20 years, but I don't think I would want to have to make the decision between rifle/archery when I pick up my tag. Rather, it would be good to have archery to fall back on if rifle season is not productive. I'm not a trophy hunter, I hunt to fill the freezer and while archery is nostalgic, if I find a legal bull during rifle season, I would hate to have to pass him up because I decided on archery too early.
    You wouldn't have to pass it up you would just have to stalk a little closer! The way I read the prop you could hunt with your bow during the rifle season, but when the gun runners have to hang up the boom sticks you can keep on hauling your stick and string out into the woods looking for senior swampdonkey. I still fear that the proposal could cause an over harvest which isn't worth the risk IMHO. I would have to see some hard data on archery hunt success rates during the rut showing it is a safe option before I would vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I still fear that the proposal could cause an over harvest which isn't worth the risk IMHO. I would have to see some hard data on archery hunt success rates during the rut showing it is a safe option before I would vote for it.
    This is a valid concern. Maybe this needs to be a draw hunt, this way ADF&G can limit the harvest. It is too bad the moose populations has been reduced to the current numbers.

Again I am looking for comments and suggestions. I don't have all the answers!