Thread: Delta Junction Cranes.

Cool Delta Junction Cranes.

If You Guys Are Looking For Place To Go Shoot Cranes Give C
    And S Guide Service A Call. Me And My Brother Went Friday Limited Out . They Fly All Day So Dont Leave They Will Come .
    Most Hunters Leave Around 10:00 Am We Did Not Get Birds Until
    Noon.

Default delta cranes

do they have a web site , did you get into the geese at all?

Default delta cranes

we did not see any geese , but they should be going thrue anytime it still to warm up north .i dont think they have a web site but the phone IS 488-2589 they have all the decoys set for you all you need is your gun.

What are they charging now days??????
    You can go to about any farmers field and kill them for free.
    Limited out on geese again today, may have to start chasing some cranes.

Default delta cranes

they charge $60.OO A PERSON .I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A FARMER WHO WOULD LET ME HUNT ON THEIR LAND I ASKED TWO DIFFERENT
    FARMERS THEY SAID THEY DONT LET PEOPLE HUNT ON THIER LAND. I
    WAS DOWN SAWMILL RD,IF YOU COULD POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WOULD APRECIATE VERY MUCH.

Thumbs up

Farmers out at the barley projects dont tend to let people hunt anymore because of the past and having the charters out that way now. As for C and S they used to do geese and they are starting to fly alot so I dont see why they still wouldnt. Enjoy

Other than two farmers I have access to most all fields, not sure how they are treating out of towners but for the few locals who really hunt geese we don't have much problems getting fields.

Id have to agree us locals normaly have no problem, but for you out of towners make sure you check

Default Delta used to be awesome

Back in the late 80's early 90's when everyone was growing barley and oats, we used to hunt Thuringers and Carlson's land - and we asked for permission every year, well in advance of Hunting Season. One of the guys in our group knew Carlson before he died, so that helped.

Thuringer used to allow us out of towners (ex Fbksn here) to hunt his property (which was one of the best in the project) until he got mad with Fish and Game about the Bison supposedly eating all his barley and allowing too many Bison to run free. (we always figured more grain was Flying off than walking off) His reasoning was if he cuts off the Goose Hunters and tells them to contact F/G about the Bison eating all his grain maybe F/G will reduce the Bison herd number, and then maybe we could hunt his land again.....yea we thought that was odd too, but we respected his wishes and no longer even asked.

To be honest - its seems that a majority of the geese are bypassing the project now and heading south without even stopping - i think there are alot less grain growers now there than in the past, and that is KEY. Used to be so many geese there the sky was black with em - mostly Specks too, and when the Northerns came thru - shooting was RED HOT for 3 weeks.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Shultz's (C/S) have locked up just about every farm down there, and I dont think they move thier decoys around much. Everyone that I have ever talked to about hunting with C/S has the same thing to say - Good Outfit, lack of geese, good Decoys, not many birds.

If you want some good Duck/Goose Hunting and have a Duck Boat - Go to Healy Lake - you WILL be quite impressed

Default Tell me more about Healy Lake

Cutter, tell me some more about Healy Lake. I have heard about the action there from a state biologist with family property on the lake. It sounds like it would be worth a trip up there to get ducks and then geese on the islands on the Tanana.

My "duck boat" is a sneak box design using a short shaft outboard with a prop. It needs about 12 to 14 inches of water to run in. Being a former Fairbankers myself I know that there are some really squirrely sections of the Tanana below delta due to log jams and what not. Is this a problem near Healy Lake? Where in do you launch from in Delta?

Default Launch

AKray - check your PM

you dont launch in Delta - you launch @ the Sawmill off Cummings road about 35miles down the hwy towards Tok.

Yes the river gets squirrly, but its not unrunable at all

Thanks Cutter for the PM. It all makes sense now. I'll have to start planning a trip for next year. Of course if gas prices don't come down that may not happen.