Thread: Rope

Default Rope

For early and late season riding, when I know I am going on a river or crossing a deep creek, I always tie a 25 ft rope to my hitch and let it trail behind, you don't even know it is there. I have had to use it a few times to help get the machine out.

Another thing I always carry, all season is a Rope Come a Long, with 100 feet of rope in it and another 50 foot length of rope to use when needed. I like the poly rope, it floats and doesn't stretch as much as nylon. I use this for everything and would not get caught out without it.

Default Ice Rescue Picks

I'd also suggest bringing ice rescue picks in cause you have to get YOU out of a hole in the ice. I get the kind with the spiral connector cord between the picks. You can stick the picks into each other and have them hanging around you steering column so they are always there. They are cheap too ... Sportsman's Warehouse sells a pair of these ice rescue picks for $6.50.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    I'd also suggest bringing ice rescue picks in cause you have to get YOU out of a hole in the ice. I get the kind with the spiral connector cord between the picks. You can stick the picks into each other and have them hanging around you steering column so they are always there. They are cheap too ... Sportsman's Warehouse sells a pair of these ice rescue picks for $6.50.
    Added a rep point to you for this post, good idea. I had to use my leatherman tool once and it was a pain to get it out from under my snowsuit. Now I carry one in the outside pocket of the suit, but I'll bet the picks might be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    For early and late season riding, when I know I am going on a river or crossing a deep creek, I always tie a 25 ft rope to my hitch and let it trail behind, you don't even know it is there. I have had to use it a few times to help get the machine out.

Another thing I always carry, all season is a Rope Come a Long, with 100 feet of rope in it and another 50 foot length of rope to use when needed. I like the poly rope, it floats and doesn't stretch as much as nylon. I use this for everything and would not get caught out without it.
    The best rope I have found is at AIH it is called something like blue steel. The rope is not cheap but it is very high quality. It is primarily white with some blue lines in it and it doesn't stretch which is the most important thing when you are trying to get you sled unstuck! There is nothing like cranking on a rope-along for 10 minutes while watching the rope stretch and your (boat in my case) just sit there!

Personally I don't like rope because it stretches so much. I like to use 5,000 lb test webbing. You can buy it by the foot at REI.

Interesting, I found the complete opposite works for me, in fact I made a special devise out of bungee cords to give me maximum stretch. I have found most anchors (tree, brush) can not hold a snowmobile. With a bungee cord you can hit the gas, and the machine will come flying out of the hole. When I used a non stretch rope I only was able to go an inch or two.

Moose give me some more details on how your system works. I use non-stretch because I use a hand winch to pull with, tied to a tree when pulling with a machine isn't possible.

Are you pulling with a machine or hooking to a tree or something.

I used it both ways.
    I put one end on my trailer hick; the other two ends go to the two sky spindles. When I take off and the bungee start to stretch, it slow me down and the other person hits the gas, he is pulled out and I donít get stuck.

I also took a come-a-long and remove the heavy cable and replace it with smaller cable so I would have more length. I use this along with the bungee to get my snowmobile out.

It importance to note the only place you want to pull a snowmobile from is the spindles.
    Not from the skies.

I design this over 10 years ago, there is now a commercial unit made I think it $80.

Take a look at Snobungie

http://www.snobunje.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The best rope I have found is at AIH it is called something like blue steel. The rope is not cheap but it is very high quality. It is primarily white with some blue lines in it and it doesn't stretch which is the most important thing when you are trying to get you sled unstuck! There is nothing like cranking on a rope-along for 10 minutes while watching the rope stretch and your (boat in my case) just sit there!

Most likely it's called amsteel blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Moose give me some more details on how your system works. I use non-stretch because I use a hand winch to pull with, tied to a tree when pulling with a machine isn't possible.

Are you pulling with a machine or hooking to a tree or something.

You should definitely not use a stretch rope for winching, it's dangerous.

Interesting you think it dangerous to use a stretch rope for winching. Yet you donít comment on how dangerous it is to snowmobile on lakes and rivers.

Any tool has a certain amount of risk. Using a stretch rope or in my case using a bungee takes a certain amount of common sense. If you new more about how it is use and the advantage of my system I think you would agree it is safe.