Thread: Questions about Unit 16B

Default Questions about Unit 16B

I've read the ADFG regs and still have some questions about 16B. Are there any non-resident hunting opportunities in the northern part of the unit? Specifically the Chelatna Lake/Lake Creek area?

From what I can make of the regs it is a registration hunt for moose, but are non-residents eligible? How is the moose hunting in this area?

How is the caribou hunting in the area?

Lastly, is there a lot of private land in the northern part of 16B?

Thanks for any help. As I said I searched the regs but I get more confused every time I read them.

Dogballs

Bear and wolf are going to be your best options for this area. It is loaded with both. Very little private land in the region, but a few mining claims and remote lodges. Prey critters have pretty well been desimated by the predators, hence the extreme measures taken to limit the take by humans.

That's about what I figured was going on, thanks.

This can be a very good area for moose, but at the moment the predators are on the rise and the moose in decline.

Default West of your area...upper Yentna has few moose

November general seasons in the 70's took out alot of trophy bulls off of the Yenlo bench...you could ride a snowmachine up there and it was a fairly easy hunt. The record snow in 88-89 wiped-out a big percentage of the moose north of Skwentna...the population has never recovered. Tier II folks in the area now take the few that are left. ADF&G used to drop the problem brown bears around 4th of July creek to keep the bunny huggers happy...you'll see no moose calves by mid July as the bears have killed them all. Wolves were thin in the old days...you'll find their tracks everywhere now. Joe Delia cannot trap them all himself...More trapping and gattling gun equiped Super Cubs are required.

Not enough people hunt bears in this area...access is tough and it's hard to see much unless you get up high above the treeline...that's not where the bears generally are unless they're denning.

I repeat the same song I've repeated before: any GMU 16B Tier II tag must be earned...you need to have killed 2 brown bear or 6 wolves the previous year to earn a moose tag.