Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: airline approved gun cases

Default airline approved gun cases

Anybody have a double gun case they like that is airline apporved that won't break the bank? Unfortunatley mine mangaed to come back with a golfball size hole in last week.
    Also when was coming back from MSP & TSA was giving a guy a hard time for a case that had the lock / latch as the only lock. So I am looking for one with the external lock capability not just the keyed latch.
    Any favorites would be appreciated.

I haven't investigated or tried this yet, but I've heard a good discussion about using a hard case for golf clubs. The discussion centered around they are pretty bomb proof and they don't look like a gun case which could prevent theft. (Unless someone is looking for golf clubs)

SKB Double Rifle Case.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...t=search_redir

Tuffpak case which is similar to a hard golf club case.
    http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/catego...G1&C=C0282&N=1

golf club case!
    not only will it hold 2-3 guns, but your fishing tackle, tent, sleeping bag and pad, and most of your other gear. hard to keep it under 50 lbs, though....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Gun case

The aluminum double gun case by cabelas is what I use. It holds two guns, external locks and is tough. Use it yearly going west with no problems other than TSA goofs not respecting the gear/guns.

I dunno ...I shipped a pile of guns, long and short, in Wal-Mart plastic gun cases and just put a pad lock on each. Alaska Airlines was happy, everything arrived just fine, and I was happy. No problem. Short of someone being really abusive, I think those black plastic cases work just fine ...today's plastics are pretty tough. And I think the only choices are the Wal-Mart style or the ones that cost 5X the price at places like Sportsman's.

Brian

Default Not sure but

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I haven't investigated or tried this yet, but I've heard a good discussion about using a hard case for golf clubs. The discussion centered around they are pretty bomb proof and they don't look like a gun case which could prevent theft. (Unless someone is looking for golf clubs)
    Good idea but I think that FFA regulations state that it has to be designed as a lock gun case. However , (pause for effect) there is a company called "Tuffpak" that has designed a case that does just that and they even provide a statment with the case stating that it is designed as a gun case so that you have no problems http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/product1.asp?P=TP-1049KYB

The only thing is that they are cheap!! I do own one and just used it for my last trip and it worked great. It can be hard to keep it under 50lbs when you load it up though.

I've had all three:
    Cheap Plastic from Walmart (might last more than one trip if lucky)
    $100 variety with cheap wood and aluminum trim (might last a couple of trips before wood gets hole in the side)

$200 all aluminum, it was from sportsmans, a double rifle kind. Works great, had on couple of trips and has held up well. Don't waste your money on the others described above, if you want it to last for more than a couple of trips. Also, I think the Cabelas brand and Sportsmans brand aluminum cases are manufactured by the same company.

I just got a good deal on what seems like a nice gun case for the airlines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/53-HARD-ALUMINUM...item27b7359a3f

What is wrong with using the Pelican 2 gun case for airline travel?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Good idea but I think that FFA regulations state that it has to be designed as a lock gun case. However , (pause for effect) there is a company called "Tuffpak" that has designed a case that does just that and they even provide a statment with the case stating that it is designed as a gun case so that you have no problems http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/product1.asp?P=TP-1049KYB

The only thing is that they are cheap!! I do own one and just used it for my last trip and it worked great. It can be hard to keep it under 50lbs when you load it up though.
    Ditto on the Tuff Pak, Tom. It looks like a golf club case, but it's for rifles or anything else of the same length. Bombproof, rollers on the bottom, stacks nice, and protects your stuff very well. Most of the airline folks don't even know it's a gun case. And yes, it is set up with a lock system, so TSA is good with it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    What is wrong with using the Pelican 2 gun case for airline travel?
    I could'nt agree more. Bombproof and guaranteed as such.

I have the SKB double gun case with TSA locks to boot. They have to have access now and if they open it up and break the locks they are not allowed to send it through with broken locks. Was looking at the Tuffcase cause you can pack additional gear and spread the weight around, bu I am pretty sure they don't have TSA locks.

Another option are the Boyt H Series cases. Very similar to Pelican cases, I actually prefer the Boyt latching mechanism better. Generally run around $200 at SW (not sure why the website lists them so high). One downside is they are on the heavy side, even when empty. So I suppose you might be pushing that 50 lb airline limit if you really stuffed them full.

http://www.boytharness.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=484

It does not have to be a "gun case". it has to be a "lockable hard sided" case. I know lots of people that have hard sided luggage, adn as long as it can be lockable, it works great.

When shipping guns: DON'T SKIMP on your case. SKB and Pelican are the two I'd recommend. VERY tough!! I saw another aluminum sided one the other day that was pretty stout, and had great reviews.

Sure hate to ruin my multi-thousand dollar hunt...because I skimped and bought a cheap-o gun case, when a good one is just a few hundred bucks.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Ditto on the Tuff Pak, Tom. It looks like a golf club case, but it's for rifles or anything else of the same length. Bombproof, rollers on the bottom, stacks nice, and protects your stuff very well. Most of the airline folks don't even know it's a gun case. And yes, it is set up with a lock system, so TSA is good with it.

-Mike

Anyone know if there's a seller who discounts Tuff Pak???

Default Pelican without question!

I've got two Kalispel aluminum cases, a Cabela's, and a Pelican. And when I travel on an airliner the only case that I am 100% sure will protect my rifles is the Pelican. Not cheap but if you watch eBay you'll find one for a reasonable price. I also have three Pelican camera cases that I haul cameras, my Zeiss spotting scope, binos, and a video camera in, and I've yet to have a problem with any Pelican case.

WhiteFish

You need pelican or pelican/storm guncases.
    http://www.pelican.com/
    I've had my guns shipped all over the country, I wouldnt trust my guns to anything but the best! Guarantee you wont be disappointed.
    They are a little heavy... but still toughest thing out there

Pulled the trigger on the tuffcase will report back.....

My Dad and I both have Tuffpaks. I bought mine when I was in college and was bringing rifles back and forth with me every Christmas and summer. Put your rifles in soft sided cases, and they slide into the case. If I remember they will hold up to three scoped rifles or 5 unscoped. The best thing is you can load up your one rifle for the hunt and then pack hunting clothes around it, so it doubles as a suitcase. I'd spend the extra $$$ for peace of mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast