Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new 17 HMR

Default new 17 HMR

Well Friday evening I wen't and purchased a new Savage 17HMR with plans to take it out Saturday. As many of you probably read I got caught up with a little plumbing project and totally missed out on Sat. Well I found the time to get out and at least get a rough zero to about 60 yards. I was losing the light so I didn't step back to 100 to fine tune it but my initial impression is that this is going to be a great little rifle!! I topped it with a leupold rifleman 3-9x40 which should work well out to the ranges I will be shooting. The thing would put 3 shot groups touching at 60 yards consistently. I was shooting one of the "shoot and see" targets but the tiny .17" holes were still hard to see at 60 yards. At first I ran up to check then I realized if I just keep shooting by the third shot the "hole" was clearly visable I finally got a fox gun now I need to go find that fox I saw durring moose season!

You are going to love that rifle. I have a Savage too and other than for the heavy trigger pull it's becoming my favorite.

It'll certainly put the smackdown on foxes and it turns tundra squills inside out.

Be aware though that it is wind sensitive.
    Now what ?

Default double the fun

I also just bought a savage .17 with the accu-trigger and just got done sighting it in and man what a sweetheart!! It looks like i'll be packing two riffles with me on my outings in case a fox or cat decide to show up. That sucker drives tacks. Also on a brighter note I also got it for my grilfriend to use cause she has been wanting to go out with me and see what calling is all about so double plus if she is able to connect and I think she will be hooked. What a way to get someone into a new sport I think.

mike

Default the right bullets

Lujon,

Go and find the full metal jacket bullets. The exploding tips aren't the best for creatures. The one fox I shot with one did kill it, but left quite a hole. I nailed a coyote the other day and hammered it. Don't let anyone at Sportsman's tell you they don't make full metal jacketed bullets for the .17. CCI does.

Lujon:

What was the main reason you picked the Savage? Price? Reputation?

Did you consider any other brands?

kingfisherktn

I have got a .17hmr (ruger 77/17) and I love it! I have shot 2 fox so far with it, one with a vmax and the other with the FMJ, and I have to say the fmj did just as much damage as the vmax. Both had exits about the size of a quarter, which isnt too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Lujon:

What was the main reason you picked the Savage? Price? Reputation?

Did you consider any other brands?

kingfisherktn
    Both the price and reputation were big factors add in the accu-trigger and it won hands down.

Thanks, that helps in my decision.

I picked up a savage 93r17 too a little while ago. Its the plain vanilla. synthetic stock, sporter barrel, accu-trigger and man does it drive tacks!

I had gone the bull barrel route with the 17 hmrs exclusivly before with 2 marlins but a guy tends to hike around with one so this go around I went with a lightweight one and man am I happy!

I bought mine on sale for 215 from sportsmans, might want to check if they are still on sale..

Where in Fbks can somebody pick up the FMJ's? I've seen the Hornady Vmax and XTP, but can't find any FMJ. If anybody finds some, please send me a PM. Thanks a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I picked up a savage 93r17 too a little while ago. Its the plain vanilla. synthetic stock, sporter barrel, accu-trigger and man does it drive tacks!

I had gone the bull barrel route with the 17 hmrs exclusivly before with 2 marlins but a guy tends to hike around with one so this go around I went with a lightweight one and man am I happy!

I bought mine on sale for 215 from sportsmans, might want to check if they are still on sale..
    I picked mine up for $219. I went with the standard barrel as well, I can't see the benefit of the heavy barrels for a rifle I carry far more than I shoot. I will probably paint it at some point but for now It is goin to stay factory black.

Default Congrats on the .17

Painting you're Rifle can be a real fun project! I've been very happy with the snow camo job I did on my H&R. I do wish I'd have used some adhesion promoter on the plastic scope covers before I painted though. (hint hint)

Default FYI

BSA make a scope for the .17hmr. It is called the Sweet .17. It has the yardage built in. I bought a Nikon before I found out about it. I may get one just because it is specifically built for the .17.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    BSA make a scope for the .17hmr. It is called the Sweet .17. It has the yardage built in. I bought a Nikon before I found out about it. I may get one just because it is specifically built for the .17.

Bushnell also has a Banner model specifically for the .17 HMR, with a BDC turret you put on after zeoring and calibrating for 100 yrds. It's the one I put on mine.
    Now what ?

Default Look over the BSA CLOSELY!!

I bought two of those BSA scopes sweet 17's for me and my buddy and when we put the scopes on our riffles they were off a quater bubble. We leveled the riffle and then levled the scope and when you looked through it the crosshairs were at a 45 degree angle and when you straightend them the knobs were cocked something terrible. So we thought it was just the one scope so we did all the same on the other one and we had the same results, so we went with a simmons 6x18x40.

mike

Default Bsa scopes

I don't really want to bash any ones product, but I do have a BSA that I use for a door stop.

Well I am headed out to test this bad boy in about 10 minutes. Hopefully I can get that fox I spotted during moose season to come in. Good luck to anyone else heading out for some pre turkey dinner predator hunting!!

Default agree

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowshoe View Post
    I don't really want to bash any ones product, but I do have a BSA that I use for a door stop.
    I agree with you on this also. Just didn't know how serious people were with the scopes on their rifles. The only guns that get BSA, Bushnell, Simmons, etc. are my .22's!

I did alot of research on the BSA sweet 17 scope over at rimfirecentral, seems alot of those scopes are junk.

I only have experience with one BSA. I bought a Sweet-17 for my H&R .17 HMR. It is right on at 100 yards. The bullet hits 1" low when scope is dialed for 200 yards, then is right on again at 300 yards. I will say I like it, and have had no trouble with it. Mounted well and dialed in for initial set-up. I bought one of the first one, when they first came out. I carry a range finder, so ranging is no problem. The critter usually has no idea I am around. Works great for fox, but avoid shooting one at 5 feet, it's messy.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast