Thread: Where are the big fish at?

Default Where are the big fish at?

So we just got up here in May 08 and leave next December 09 for New Mexico. This is our first time ice fishing for me and my 6 y/o son and would like some bigger fish than the 12" from Clunie we've been catching. Our atv is in New Mexico and we've haven't a snow machine to get far back into the woods.
    Are there any good lakes that are closeish (word?) to Eagle River with good access that has bigger fish?
    We have a small shelter and heater I picked up and tow it all the a small jet sled but we don't know the good spots. Can anyone help? Especially since we have a long weekend coming up and would like to get out at least a couple times.
    Thanks for any info/advice.
    ChuckD

you could try fishing herring for pike in lower fire lake otherwise 12 inchers are about what you can expect around here in the winter.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default gonna have to head north

big lake has big char. 10 pounders come out of there every year. nancy lake i hear has big pike and should be some big char in there as well but from the sounds of it the pike are taking over. lake louise produces 30 pound lake trout every year also but you are gonna have to drive for a few hours to get there.

+1 for Big Lake!! Went out there for the first time this year, one of the best bets for "bigger" fish, atleast average wise, and you can fish right next to your car Check up on the regs, they are different than Clunie.

-Ben

I have never had any success at Big Lake in the winter. What are some good areas or spots to try? What do you use for bait? Will shrimp work well there?

Thanks.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

baits not allowed. i havent fished big lake itself, but ive heard of an area called burnt point off one of the island on the lake? like anywhere else look for structure off points, underwater shelves, ect.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tail/LakeID/10

Burnt point is right beside the ice road on the right side. There is a house log I think on the point the dock in front of the house has a red light on it so the snowmachiners dont hit it I would fish to either side and about half way to the ice road. I have caught a number of big fish there. Blue and silver crocadiles or white tube jigs bout 3 inchs long NO bait but is legal to chum... Good luck