Thread: Water proofing Meindls

Default Water proofing Meindls

Just bought a pair of Canadian hunting boots from Cabela's made by Meindl. What is the best waterproofing substance for these? I have never owned a high priced pair of complete leather boots that have a payment book attached and I want to start them out right in their new home.

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

I have used Nikwax on my Meindl's since they were new. They now have four years of hunting and hundreds of miles on them, and they're still going strong. I work at least 1/2 a bottle into the boots everytime I waterproof.

I love my Meindl's, but the original insoles are way too hard for me. I would recommend replacing the originals with a pair of "Super Feet" insoles.

Corn

Corn,
    I am in the same boat as Dave.

When you say "work in"...how do you go about it? Do you heat the leather first, after applied? Any special tricks?

Never heard of Nikwax...what is it? Where can I get it?

Thanx,
    BNR

+1 on the Nikiwax treatment. I do 2 coats prior to each season of use. Nikiwax can be bought at most sporting goods stores that sell a large selection of boots. I know sportsmans warehouse carries it. I dont know about the leather on the Canadas but they sell different types of Nikiwax treatments for different leathers. I use the Nubuk stuff on my Meindl Alaska Hunters and it works great. I have yet to have water get to my socks! Wet the outside of the boots down reall well with warm water and start scrubbing the Nikiwax in with the supplied applicator till the boots are soaked with it. Make sure you take your laces out when you do this and make sure the tongue area gets completely treated. Let it dry and do it again. Its been the best treatment I have found and is safe to use with Gore tex liners. Enjoy the new boots , it hurts on the initial purpose($) but you will have them for a long time. Best boots (Meindls) I have ever bought!

Talking Mile 279

I was sold on them by a kid at mile 279 of the Haul Road. He was walking up the road by his self with his gear on the way to Deadhorse. His boots were Meindls. He was on his third pair of soles. Of course, he had walked from Mexico City, Mexico.

I am not planning on walking that far.

BNR-

AKCub gives a good description on how to apply the Nikwax. I will add that I usually give the seams an extra coating or two, since this is where they are most likely to start leaking. You can't apply too much of this stuff, so don't be shy!

I get my Nikwax from REI in Anchorage.

Corn

Talking There here, there here!

The new Meindls arrived today. I searched all the stores in town and the best waterproofing that I could find was Snow Seal. Three coats well rubbed in and I should be ready to go this weekend.

The fit is excellent, workmanship looks excellent too. It is a little different boot design than I am used too. I will buy another set of insoles to assist the others. The heigth, 11", should give adequate support for climbing the mountains around Valdez.

Now if I can find a helium filled pack frame..........or loose 20 pounds.

By far the best is 100% beeswax, but unfortunately once you put on other treatments the beeswax isn't an option.

To put beeswax on a new pair of leather boots, you use a hairdrier or better yet a heatgun to warm up the leather and rub on as much beeswax as it will absorb.

I'd used snowseal in the past, but there is no comparison to beeswax.

I've used snowseal on my leather boots for 30 years. It's great stuff. The best thing to do is heat your boots with a hairdryer or put them in a warm oven. Then rub the snow seal in. Sometimes I wear a pair of leather gloves that I want to treat to do this. After rubbing it in then reheat the boots so the snowseal soaks into the leather. Be carefull to not over heat your boots! Make sure you get plenty to soak into all seams. I do this 2 or 3 times and then smear a final coating. Makes them kind of messy to get relaced but it keeps the water out.

Some poeple don't like snowseal because it seals the leather and won't allow it to breath. Personally that is why I like it. It seals the leather. Your boots and most HD hiking boots have a full rubber rand anyway that won't breath. Even if you use nix or some other water based treatment you will still get sweat condensation in your boots. One advantage to nix (I think it's nix) is that you can apply it to wet boots and it will reseal them in the field. On the other hand. If it works so good why would you have too! Boots properly snowsealed before a trip will keep your feet dry for a long time.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Post I like silicone based treatments

I have used just about everything on various pairs of boots I have owned. They all work...........to a point. I have found that bees wax, snow seal and others similar that you need to heat for applying don't last as long as the silicone based treatments. You will need to reapply most treatments every season and maybe every new trip depending on how wet your trip was, if you want to keep your feet dry. That's my $0.02

Default Gortex

I believe the Nikwax is recommend by WL Gore for use on Gore Tex lined boots, which the Meindle boots are. I use it on my Meindle Alaskan Hunters.

Default Breaking them in

So far it has rained every weekend or the boating report has been too bad to take the boat out. So I am breaking the boots in while walking the dog and spruce hen hunting.

The boots fit excellent! Thought the extra height would be a problem but it is not. So far an excellent product.

Good luck with the Meindels Canada boot, I had a pair that came apart on me during a sheep hunt, sent them back to Cabela's for another pair and they came apart in the same place on my moose hunt. I sent them back and got a refund. Hopefully your's will be fine.

I used the nikiwax on my Miendl AK Hunters. Applied two coats with the laces out. Let air dry for 24 hours between coats. Two weeks in the field and the boots were as water tight as a ducks butt. Love the boots.

Quick story about the boots you might find comical. Let me start by pointing out that I have areal boot fetish... I love them, can't get enough of them. I researched boots to no end before deciding on the Miendls. Before I arrived in camp for my moose hunt, I spent months walking in my boots to make sure they were well broken in. One of the guides, who we'll call Kenny, was returning from the sheep mountain and was heading out of camp the next morning. Kenny was also wearing the exact same pair of Miendls, although a much smaller size. In his mad dashed attempt to get out of camp and catch a flight out of Anchorage, seems my boots were tossed into the supercub with all his stuff. Well I didn't realize my boots were missing until after wave good bye to him. We attempted to reach him by sat phone before he left Slana for Anchorage. No luck. So there I am, in AK, hunting in the mountians with only a pair of knee high rubber boots. Can you say, PISSED OFF. I have an 11.5, EE width foot. There were two guys in camp that offerred there other boots to me, but there were all too narrow.

Now I consider my boots the second most inportant paiece of equipment on this trip, first being my rain gear. I rankin order of importance, rain gear (could save your life), boots (can't kill 'em if I can't get close to 'em) and third is my rifle (for obvious reasons).

Well we headed out to spike camp, me wearing my rubber boots. I'm still not sure how I am going to climb a mountain wering knee hig rubber boots, but I'm going to give it one hell of a try. There were a couple of Cabelas guys in camp with me, both well connected. Later that night while we were in spike camp, my outfitter flies overhead in the supercub and calls us on the radio to let me know that a pair of brand new Miendl, size 12 EE were waiting for me in camp. While not my boots, and not broken in, I was GLAD to have them. I wore them for two days before my boots arrived back in camp. Seems Kenny didn't realize my boots weren't his until he tried to put them on and they basically fell off his feet. He hired someone to drive them back to Slana where my outfitter fly back onto to pick bring them back. When I asked where the pair of 12 EEs came from, know one seemed to know. They just "found them" in the trailer. Yeah, right. One of the Cabelas boys is the head of purchasing. I think he picked up the sat phone, made a phone call and had these boots jetted in priority direct to Slana. Talk about customer.

I hate snoseal for boots in wet weather. I have never had it last longer than a half day in a situation hiking through wet grass, brush, devils club etc. like hunting out of Valdez. On Sorels to be worn in below-freezing temperatures, it works fine.

Have not used the beeswax treatment, but the next pair o'boots will get it. I have a couple of pounds of wax from the Mrs.' bee hives!