Hi guys:

I just returned from my first real sno-go trip up the Noatak. I was up the Little Noatak River all afternoon and it was a nice trip.

Snow conditions were poor at best with omly 8-10 inch covering and the tundra was RUFFFFF! We saw lots of caribou with dozens of the critters feeding on the hills between the mountains and Kobuk Lake. I am guessing we saw between 200-300 total.

Moose were missing. The lack of snow is allowing them to travel easily and off of the rivers. I am hoping we will have some serious snow and the big boys will show themselves, as I have not filled my tag yet! I will keep you informed.

Came crossed a caribou that was killed by a pack of wolves. It is amazing to see how well they clean up a caribou. 3 years ago I was camping way up in the upper Noatak River near the Nimmi in late spring. It was a 500 mile trip over the course of 5 days. I found a moose cow that we run into some deep willow and killed buy a small pack. They opened her guts, ate her nose and did some feeding on the hind . Looked like they would return for snacks later. I would love to see a kill in process.

Take care and give me call if you need any assistance with your 09 hunting or fishing plans.

Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
33 miles north of the Arctic Circle