Thread: Late denning???

Default Late denning???

I live in Sterling just off of the Kenai river. My neighbor and I have had 8 different brown bear sows and cubs in the yards in the last 10 days. What's up with that?

Default Got pictures??

Do you have any pictures? I believe you, I just would like to see the pics if you have any.

Saw fresh griz tracks a week or two ago. Also heard another report of fresh tracks just recently. I thought it was a little late too!

I can get photos of the tracks. I have enough griz photos.

buddy of mine saw a blackie on the beach near the head of the bay just last week.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I believe it, just last weekend a friend of mine came across fresh brown bear tracks about 8 miles upriver from the village, he tracked it down to the river into the woods. He said it was too thick to continue tracking. 2 winters ago another friend tracked a bear in late December, this was after it had eaten the gutpile of his caribou that he killed the day before. 3 years ago I tracked a bear in January up in the foothills, didn't know if it was a bear that decided to take a look outside of it's den or one that hadn't denned up yet. Just from reading the tracks and following them for a while he had been traveling for quite a few miles. From reading the tracks this particular bear may have been trying to dig another den, he had dug a hole about 3 foot deep and then left or was run off.

I found these tracks on the trapline on Friday. I had to remake a couple of sets that it messed up. My .22 pistol wasn't giving me much confidence.

There was a friend of mine that was out on the trapline here in the interior a few years ago that went out and checked his traps, and found a rather large bear had scared a lynx right out of the trap, or at least there was'nt any blood around the trap, except its toe was still there, and the tracks of the bear, and that was after Thanksgiving. He was just carrying a 22, made him think twice. E.S.

I don't see it as unusual. We always have late denners out here on the AKPEN. I've seen tracks as late as December and last week we still had a couple digging in the dump.
    Now what ?

They shot a brown bear in the city of Haines two weeks ago

Default Nice hides

I would be willing to bet that that would be one nice hide on a bear denning that late.

Default bears

It is not uncommon for this time of year to see brown bears in the sterling area around the keys and upper stretches of the river, etc remember the silvers are still spawning in that stretch of the river and will on through january. I have fished that stretch of the river into january and usually see fresh brown tracks along the shore.