Thread: youth rifles

Default youth rifles

My son is goin to be six next year he is already shooting a 22 rifle. What caliber rifle would others suggest mainly for hunting moose and caribou. I was thinkin .243 or .223 would definetly work on caribou but want something that would be good for both.

Look at the 7mm-.08. My wife is 5'0" and has a pretty slight build, so we bought her a Remington Model 7 Youth in 7-08. That thing is an absolute pleasure to shoot for her. It really has very, very little recoil at all, and the Model 7 Youth comes with a nice recoil pad for what little kick there is. In a 140 grain bullet it would be a perfect caliber for caribou and plenty suitable for moose at close range.
    Last edited by Brian M; 11-23-2008 at 15:27.

I second the Rem 7mm-08. My wife also shoots one and loves it. There is hardley any kick and fits her well.

Default Model 7 7mm-08

I just got my son a Mdl 7 7mm-08. I too think it is a great rifle and caliber.

i was just looking at the same deal... "what good youth gun for alaska?" and after being unable to find a rossi matched pair in 20ga./.308 i found a rem model 7 in 7mm-08. i havent seen it yet, but everything i have been able to find out points to it being one of the best youth rifles/calibers for up here.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I went with a Youth 700 chambered in 270 Win for my son when he turned 8. I didn't like the fact that theres so few choices for ammo in the 7mm-08 and of course the 270 Win is a legendary caliber with ammo available everywhere (until the latest round of ammo binge purchasing....grin). I chopped the synth stock on it to get a better fit length of pull for him and attached a Slip on Limbsaver recoil pad. It fits him great. I then got him shooting with the Remington Managed Recoil rounds, he shot probably 4 boxs of those before I put the slip on him with regular 270 loads and he never even noticed the switch. He wanted his own hunting rifle so bad and I had a made a deal with him that if he got straight A's on is report card, he could have his own hunting rifle. He pulled it off and this is what he came home to after school one day. Notice the report card sitting right in there with his much desired toy!

Thanks for the help guess ill be checkin out the 7mm-08

I found a real good deal on a styer-mannlicher 7mm-08 SBS that has spacers built into the synthetic stock for my daughters. The great thing about it was as they grew, all I had to do was install the spacers to accomodate their growth, no extra stock, etc. needed.

Weatherby Vanguard package in 7mm-08......it comes with a youth stock and an adult stock.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by milpol78 View Post
    My son is goin to be six next year he is already shooting a 22 rifle. What caliber rifle would others suggest mainly for hunting moose and caribou. I was thinkin .243 or .223 would definetly work on caribou but want something that would be good for both.
    I would look at the NEF handi rifles. for AROUND $250.00 you can get a nice single shot in youth size. and upgrade caliber as he grows into it.
    many youth up here start with a 243... and lots of moose are killed by them. i have found that when i hand the kids the single shot they take more time to aim correctly rather then throw the bolt and blast again.. shooting is fun and they want to do lots of it. as of now i have 3 with rifles. and another on her way up to one. you might aught to think about getting into reloading as well.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I work at sportsmans in the gun section and we sell alot of savage youth models in 243 and 7mm-08. The new england firearms has a package deal that includes a .20gauge a .243 and a .22 magnum so you get a lot for your buck. I would look at this or the savage youth model which has a REALLY nice accu-trigger.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My wife is 5'0" and has a pretty slight build
    Oh stop braggin...... (J/K)

7mm-08!

The Handi rifles are alot of gun for the money. Not as classy as say a Ruger #1or3 but shoot about as well. As far as what you can do with it,its like a contender with a butt stock.