Thread: Perfect boat??

Default Perfect boat??

any comments, I've been pressing my luck in my 22' thunderjet and am looking for a fast safe boat comfortable enough to spend a night or two, as I like fishing the Homer and Monaghue area. I'm looking for a soft riding boat due to back problems, am considering the ACB or possibly Kingfisher.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    any comments, I've been pressing my luck in my 22' thunderjet and am looking for a fast safe boat comfortable enough to spend a night or two, as I like fishing the Homer and Monaghue area. I'm looking for a soft riding boat due to back problems, am considering the ACB or possibly Kingfisher.
    You aluminum guys......have you looked at the Seasport 27, the Seasport CAT, the Osprey 26, the C-Dory 29, and the super cool C-Dory TomCat? By the way, if you want fast and smooth riding the cats are the way to go if you can afford them. Nothing wrong with aluminum either - I love the Glacier Craft Boats.

Fast and smooth ride is a hard bill to fill. In order to run thru heavy water you will need a displacement hull or a boat that has weight. How fast are you going to go, what type of water conditions? No one boat will give you every thing you want. I am currently running a 34ft ColdWater boat. It can run in 3 to 4 ft sea's and maintain 24knots speed with out pounding. Note it also depends on the wave type and lenght. Down side is fuel economy 1.46 miles per gallon and cost of boat $350Kt. Fibercraft makes a good boat you would have to find a used 1, Osprey, Glacier Bay is one of the best Cat's. The dead rise at the transom is very import it should be at least 20 degrees. If you have the money get a used 43ft Delta. Also note on Craig's list there is A BayWeld for 150K that would fit the bill.

If I have the cash it would definitely be going to ACB.

But If you have really deep pockets there is a 40'x15' Maxweld for sale right now.Its a smoking deal at $490K.

I have heard that the ACB boats are pretty amazing. They do not pound because of their design and are very stable when sitting out in the ocean. If I had the money & time I would seriously consider one. Let us know what you pick.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Default Posted this one about a year ago ... really nothing has changed

How about an Osprey 26 LC with swim platform ...

I have a 2003 and after fixing all the things that a local shop screwed up, I have to say it is really a great way to go. At 8'6" wide it is good to traller without a permit. I have been "caught and released" twice by the state troopers not believing that great "big boat" was not wider than it was ... I have a 2003 chevy 2500 duramax allison pickup and it tralliers really well on a sea king three axel trailer. I think that it is about 8,000 lbs with fuel water and a weekends wort of stuff. We have a real refidgerator, sink with 20 gal of water, two burnner wallace diesel stove / heater that is externally vented along with a real toilet. It sleeps three adults with ease and if it is a family with two adults and two childern, no problem. I have installed high end computer speakers along with the laptop & ipod we have movies games and good sounds. I added a 700 watt 110 inverter for the curlling irons and coffee pot, need the engine running when you do those kinds of activites though.

Most important this is a really safe boat, for example, this last Wednesday we went out to Pony cove out of Seward, I think that when we left protected waters at Cheval Island there were gusts probably around 50 to 60 knots. The wind was actually picking up water off the surface and making a spray. Getting out of there and over to the east north east side by Sunny cove off Fox Island took a while and it was a some what of a wild ride . In the troughs I was looking up at the sewlls and in that boat I am about 9 feet off the water in calm seas, some of those waves were probably 12 to 15 feet. This boat took those conditions in stride ... except for the coffee pot, my son had to put in the sink when it started flying around.

With the 5.7 GI engine with Duoprop outdrive I cruse at 30 mph at 3600 RPM and see a little better than 2.5 mpg, top our at 42 mph when I want to waste gas. With 150 gallons of fuel that is about a 400 mile range, the boat has long legs. With the rear helm station trolling for silvers and kings keeps you back where the action is. I installed a built in tackle box to keep the nasty fish smells out of the cabin. It has a raw water wash down and I bought a 30 inch Magma cleaning table and we usually clean our catch before we come in.

I am sure a Seasport 27 Navagator would provide the same experience but I love my Osprey.

Go to Ron's Honda in Soldotna and take a look at the new 25 1/2 foot model 759 Stabi-Craft sitting in there lot. It's not for sale because it is mine. You won't be disappointed with a Stabi. Mine hasn't been in the water yet, I've decided to wait until May at this point. Stabi is the original designer of ACB's. Look at the 759 or the bigger 859, if you need that much boat.

Hey Sockeye, can you give us a little more info on these boats. There website is pretty general. Costs, performance you expect to get, features, etc.

Yea, no problem on more info on Stabi-Craft

There web sight is lacking, which to me is surprising, don't they realize how important web sights are now-a-days? Please give me a few days and I'll start a new thread with pics. I'm talking now to another new owner of a Stabi 859. He is Kaisersosei on this forum, and I'm hoping he will chime in. I'll e-mail him.

Glacier Bay Catamaran !!! That's what I bought. Do some research on catamarans and you will find a much, much softer and more stabile ride. If I remember correctly, they tested my boat and measured 66% less shock when crossing a v-hull boat's wake than with a similar sized v-hull boat... hitting the same wake. You almost feel nothing (I sometimes feel cheated!) when crossing waves at the correct angles.

Of course, there are always trade-offs. But, don't forget to look into catamarans in your research. There is an Armstrong (aluminum) cat for sale in Alaska craig's list. Around $375K. They do make a great boat but are more expensive than the glass cats. Armstrong makes a nice 25 footer also, that runs in the $150K range if I remember correctly.

Don't forget to look at the cats....AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default Stabi's rock!

I waffled back and forth from boat to boat and this fall chose between the Stabicraft and the ACB. I am sure that there are a lot of opinions from both camps as the owner of ACB used to be the USA rep for Stabi. They are basically very similar in concept and are rock solid stable as I could tell from my test-ride. The premise, in addition to the virtual unsinkability, is that the deep V in the hull that would normally make a conventional hull very tipsy at rest but cut through the chops and seas are made stable with the "D" shaped pontoons on the boat. Also, a very interesting by-product of the design is that the pontoon's shape and placement amounts to a hugh reverse chine that develops a cushion of air (?)(!) at-speed that minimizes the teeth-chattering pounding that you normally get with a conventional hull. Also, when you do an emergency turn, the chines grip the water and results in the tightest turning radius possible. It was so amazing generating the G's in Portland that we did it several times. Again, something not realized until you do it yourself.

I got the 29'4 x9'6 model (859) and it will be here next month. It has Twin E-tec 200 for power. Really nice boats and better priced than the ACB, in fact, I would compare it in price to many conventional alum boats out there.

Just to let everyone know, I am not knocking ACB boats. In fact I am a huge fan of these types of boats and I think they make some cool boats. I just happened to choose the boat that fit me better.

I would be happy to show it to anyone interested once it gets here and I get it in my new toy shop. Had the 14'x14' doors installed just for boats.

Default power options

thanks guys great info I'm finding some good deals on fiberglass boats with diesels looking in the 27-32' range with full galley + hot water even found a used ACB with single D6 + a 28' osprey with same but don't know if thats enough HP for a heavy boat seems like most prefer outboards. Any comments?

Redleader the ACB with the D6 is that the Rhino in Texas?

hey Elim, yes same boat.