Thread: Add archery hunt to 13d, and change archery moose season dates (draft)

Default Add archery hunt to 13d, and change archery moose season dates (draft)

What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

I would like to see additional hunting opportunities for archery hunters.

The majority of the lower 48 states, offer special hunts or dedicated hunting areas for archery hunters. These states offer their “best hunting times” as an incentive for those choosing harder, less successful means of hunting. Alaska does offer a few token hunts, but as a whole archery hunters are not being represented very well. (For example Moose season in Unit 14A/14B for archery is Aug 10 –Aug 17, truly the worst moose hunting days available).

Archery hunters represent a very small group of hunters and the harvest rates are just above those that hunt with rocks, so I don’t see how giving a few extra tags or setting up a special archery only hunting area would cause any harm.

What will happen if this problem is not solved?

Many hunters that are willing to hunt by bow have chosen not to since very few incentives are given to the archery community. By not having a separate area or hunting seasons for these user groups hunting pressure will continue to grow. We can continue to go with the status quo and continue to allow rifle hunters to have the majority of the harvest.

Over the next few years we should see an increase in the total numbers of available game (due to the low harvest numbers, restrictions, and increase in the bull/cow ratio) why not give archery hunters a better chance for success?

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted you solution, what would the new regulation say?

I would like to see an Archery only draw for Sheep in Unit 13D. I would like to see additional draw tags be available (not taken from current allotment) for this hunt. It would read as follows:

Sheep – Unit 13D –“Archery only” One ram with full-curl horn or larger by permit. Sept 20 – Oct 15

I would also request that we change the hunting dates for archery moose season.

Moose - Units 13-16 – Add/change hunting dates for archery hunters. Replace (Aug 10 – Aug 17), with (Oct10 – Oct 17).

Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt other:

A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?

Archery hunters would benefit by having better dates which to hunt. The results would hopefully see an increase their success rate. All rifle hunters. If more units where available to archery hunters, hunting pressure would be spread over a longer period thus resulting in better hunting conditions for both user groups. Local archery shops would see an increase in business. ADF&G will see more $$$ because of the new 13D draw archery sheep hunt.

B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?

No one

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

none

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

I would like to see additional hunting opportunities for archery hunters.

The majority of the lower 48 states, offer special hunts or dedicated hunting areas for archery hunters. These states offer their “best hunting times” as an incentive for those choosing harder, less successful means of hunting. Alaska does offer a few token hunts, but as a whole archery hunters are not being represented very well. (For example Moose season in Unit 14A/14B for archery is Aug 10 –Aug 17, truly the worst moose hunting days available).

Archery hunters represent a very small group of hunters and the harvest rates are just above those that hunt with rocks, so I don’t see how giving a few extra tags or setting up a special archery only hunting area would cause any harm.

What will happen if this problem is not solved?

Many hunters that are willing to hunt by bow have chosen not to since very few incentives are given to the archery community. By not having a separate area or hunting seasons for these user groups hunting pressure will continue to grow. We can continue to go with the status quo and continue to allow rifle hunters to have the majority of the harvest.

Over the next few years we should see an increase in the total numbers of available game (due to the low harvest numbers, restrictions, and increase in the bull/cow ratio) why not give archery hunters a better chance for success?

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted you solution, what would the new regulation say?

I would like to see an Archery only draw for Sheep in Unit 13D. I would like to see additional draw tags be available (not taken from current allotment) for this hunt. It would read as follows:

Sheep – Unit 13D –“Archery only” One ram with full-curl horn or larger by permit. Sept 20 – Oct 15

I would also request that we change the hunting dates for archery moose season.

Moose - Units 13-16 – Add/change hunting dates for archery hunters. Replace (Aug 10 – Aug 17), with (Oct10 – Oct 17).

Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt other:

A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?

Archery hunters would benefit by having better dates which to hunt. The results would hopefully see an increase their success rate. All rifle hunters. If more units where available to archery hunters, hunting pressure would be spread over a longer period thus resulting in better hunting conditions for both user groups. Local archery shops would see an increase in business. ADF&G will see more $$$ because of the new 13D draw archery sheep hunt.

B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?

No one

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

none
    Why have a moose hunting season (Oct 10th-Oct 17th) when bulls are most vulnerable and rutted? Plus, do you realize just how many bow hunters there are now? Yeah, a lot of them!

Would make a good draw hunt, though.

If you really want to increase opportunities for bowhunters and not give them the worst parts of the season, the sheep hunt should be early, not late. Early August is ideal for sheep hunting, not early October.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you really want to increase opportunities for bowhunters and not give them the worst parts of the season, the sheep hunt should be early, not late. Early August is ideal for sheep hunting, not early October.

Brian, not being a sheep hunter i have a question... is this due soley to weather or ram movement for the fall rut they have?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Not before this happen.

In several states you have to choose between hunting with a rifle or bow.

This is long over do in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Not before this happen.

In several states you have to choose between hunting with a rifle or bow.

This is long over do in Alaska.
    I would agree with this if the archery hunters had better dates!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Why have a moose hunting season (Oct 10th-Oct 17th) when bulls are most vulnerable and rutted? Plus, do you realize just how many bow hunters there are now? Yeah, a lot of them!

Would make a good draw hunt, though.
    ADF&G mentioned that they thought about opening up a any bull hunt this year, but the moose survey they just did the bull/cow ratios where high enough, so maybe next year.

I just picked these dates out of my $%*.

The idea is to give an incentive to bow hunters. Alaska needs to as most other start already has and that is to set aside special units and better dates for bow hunters.

Yes, having these dates this late would increase the harvest for bow hunters. That is the point. Bottom line is it is still harder to hunt with bow then it is with rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Brian, not being a sheep hunter i have a question... is this due soley to weather or ram movement for the fall rut they have?
    Weather and pressure are the main factors I considered when stating that early season is better. With regards to ram movement, sometimes large rams will come down out of the heads of the valleys into more manageable terrain late in the season, so I suppose that would be a benefit. The deteriorating weather, shorter daylight, and pressure making the sheep more skittish outweigh the movement factor, in my opinion.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Weather and pressure are the main factors I considered when stating that early season is better. With regards to ram movement, sometimes large rams will come down out of the heads of the valleys into more manageable terrain late in the season, so I suppose that would be a benefit. The deteriorating weather, shorter daylight, and pressure making the sheep more skittish outweigh the movement factor, in my opinion.
    Thanks.. like i said i don't know... and i am still ( over the last 24 yrs) getting more involved in bow hunting. I can and will agree bow hunting seasons should have some of the better time frames because of the difficulties around it.. however my knowledge of bow hunts in the states usually places them PRIOR to any rifle hunts. because of the pressure place on a unit during the rifle season..

Sheep hunts typically start now in early August.

I guess the important thing is to ask WHY the season should be changed to benefit the minority of the hunting populace. ( playing devils advocate here) perhaps it would be better to ask that certain draw hunts, in specified units, be limited to bow only hunts. These units should be the ones with the lowest draw numbers and harvest rates as well.. WHY?

for the simple reason that the game in that unit will have more opportunities to escape a hunter. the qualifying hunter will have more opportunities to connect and more space to hunt in...

Units that are easily accessible would be the next choice for limiting the method of take. again allowing for the population to rebound.

the important factor in dealing with all of this is pushing the fact that
    1 the resource is in fact diminishing.
    2 by limiting the method of harvest you allow the resource to grow with out necessarily reducing or impacting hunting opportunities..
    3 would still be accessible to guides and non residents but would require more hands on time between guide and client.

also by siting the regs/methods behind many of the more popular elk and sheep hunting states for the CONSERVATION effort. your proposals is like to be accepted.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

How about October 10- Nov 30 for archery moose? That would be more than a token season we have now.

The areas need to be managed for more moose though.

How do we dramatically up the population to allow for dramatically upping the harvest? That is what I would like to see addressed.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

My 2 cents again. The later in the rut season you will be able to get closer the the animal, and by far have a better chance of getting within the bow distance. however will you be able to eat it? E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    How about October 10- Nov 30 for archery moose? That would be more than a token season we have now.

The areas need to be managed for more moose though.

How do we dramatically up the population to allow for dramatically upping the harvest? That is what I would like to see addressed.
    That'll also translate into more moose on the roads. Ouch!

I just made these into 2 differnt proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That'll also translate into more moose on the roads. Ouch!
    I dont agree. If there are too many moose on the roads then up the harvest or open special seasons by EO.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The ABA has tried for years now to get the Archery moose season moved.
    As a bowhunter hunting early season we run into hot weather and condition not idea for bow hunting with all the green vegetation still around. I have to check with my members to see if we put in another proposal.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK