Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Youth moose hunt proposal

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default Youth moose hunt proposal

    I am working on my first attempts to submit proposals to the BOG. I know I am openning myself up for comments like (you're a dumb ass! Jerk! etc...) Bring them on!

    Youth hunt for Moose


    2. What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

    I have a concern that fewer and fewer youngsters are getting involved with hunting. More and more we see our youth becoming involved with video games, illegal drugs, and other distractions rather then getting a hands-on-contact with the outdoors, in particular hunting.

    3. What will happen if this problem is not solved?

    The information below was copied from: http://www.savingourhunting.com

    Are Hunter Numbers Declining? Yes! Dramatically! According to an estimate by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the number of Active Hunters has decreased from 23 million to 20.6 million in just the last five years. However figures from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service indicate that the number of persons who have a paid, certified hunting license is an even lower number, 14.7 million a decline of almost 11.5% over some previous years. When one considers that the overall population has grown a significant amount during the same time frame, you can begin to see an even greater unhealthy trend. Since 1990, the number of license holders in Massachusetts has dropped by 50,000, or 40 percent; in California since 1980 the number has fallen by almost half, from 540,000 to 300,000. In Michigan, there were 1.2 million licensed hunters in 1992 — but fewer than 850,000 in 2004.

    Age Matters - In 1980 only 40% of all hunters were over 35 years old, in 2004 that had increased to over 70% over 35 years, and according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, today more than 90 percent of hunters are 35 years or older. And nearly 80 percent of current hunters started between the ages 6 and 15, the shooting sports foundation says. According to a Horton Study, the average age of the general hunting population has increased to 43.8 years, indicating that young people are not being recruited to the sport in anywhere near large enough numbers.

    Will This Affect The Future Of Hunting? - You Bet! Here is an eye opening quote... "For every 100 adult hunters today, only 69 youth hunters are coming up to take their place. If allowed to continue, economic projections indicate funding for wildlife conservation could drop 25 percent by 2025. This decline could cause a 24 percent drop in revenue for the hunting industry".

    Why Should I Care? Well, not to mention the obvious impact that fewer and fewer hunters entering the sport will have upon the hunting industry as a whole, a far greater impact will be felt upon our State Conservation Departments across the U.S. You see, a major portion of the funding for State wildlife Agencies is derived from not only the sale of hunting licenses, but also from a distribution of Federal funds distributed to the various states according to a formula based in part upon the number of hunting licenses sold in that state. As hunter numbers drop, the state wildlife agencies feel a double pinch. Less revenue from license sales and less federal revenue distributed to that state as a result of those shrinking license sales. Obviously with fewer and fewer dollars to fund these agencies, enforcement efforts will also decline. Poachers are going to be free to go wherever they please. The quality of YOUR hunting will suffer!


    If we begin an effort to recruit new hunters by getting young people interested in the sport, it will have a tremendous impact for years to come.

    4. What solution do you prefer?

    I propose that the Board of Fish and Game authorize a “Draw Only, Moose Youth Hunt” starting the first Saturday after Christmas break and continue for the next 10 days. This hunt would be open to all youth aged 10 -16 and ideally it would be open to all game management units that could support such a hunt.

    In particular, I would like to see this hunt in Unit 14C. The overabundance of moose within Anchorage has lead to high number of vehicle/moose collisions and several deaths as the result of these collisions. It is possible if these moose where harvest by such a hunt these deaths could have been eliminated. Under the direction of a professional guide or ADF&G, Alaskan youth would be able to safely hunt within the city limits.

    5. Does your proposal address improving the quality of the resource harvested or products produced? If so, how?

    Yes, the quality of harvesting a moose in Dec compared to an August harvest would improve and result in less spoiling of meat, thus less waste of this resource. Also a moose in the freezer is better then one on the hood!

    6. Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt others:

    A. who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?

    Alaskan youth, State of Alaska, all hunting industry business, anyone with a drivers license, insurance agencies. Etc…… This would be a vital first step to insure that hunting will have a brighter future.

    B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?

    People that enjoy seeing moose within the city limits and those individuals that are signed up for the road kill program.

    7. List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

    Set aside a set # of tags from our current moose draw areas and apply them towards “youth only” hunts. I would prefer to leave the current system alone and let everyone have an equal chance on getting these prized tags. I just believe there is enough local moose in the Anchorage bowl area to justify a new youth hunt.

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    I like the idea of more youth hunts, but there is almost zero chance to instituting a high-powered rifle hunt in the Anchorage Bowl.

    You mention the hunters would be under the direction of a professional guide or F&G. Who would pay for this?

    I fully support more youth-only hunts, but Anchorage is the wrong target for such a hunt if you actually want the proposal to pass.

  3. #3
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Youth hunts should be pushed across the state one of the best areas to do this in would be unit 13.. currently Nelchena Tier II... in all reality being the high success rate and accessibility should be awarded first to youth under the age of 17. with a lifetime harvest limit. so that it continually is available to more youth.

    youth moose hunts in the interior would also be a good idea the BOG allows several hundred any bull tags in 20A because the bull to cow ratio is now to high. great place for youth tags to be place

    unit 14 cow hunts a percentage of these as well

    the key to promoting youth hunting is giving them the highest rates of success. while still allowing family to fill the freezer. i am sure there are a few other HIGH profile hunts with high success rates that could afford some tags for the youth as well.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Thumbs up constructively ment...

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I am working on my first attempts to submit proposals to the BOG. I know I am openning myself up for comments like (you're a dumb ass! Jerk! etc...) Bring them on!

    Youth hunt for Moose

    2. What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

    I have a concern that fewer and fewer youngsters are getting involved with hunting. More and more we see our youth becoming involved with video games, illegal drugs, and other distractions rather then getting a hands-on-contact with the outdoors, in particular hunting.

    3. What will happen if this problem is not solved?

    The information below was copied from: http://www.savingourhunting.com

    Are Hunter Numbers Declining? Yes! Dramatically! According to an estimate by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the number of Active Hunters has decreased from 23 million to 20.6 million in just the last five years. However figures from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service indicate that the number of persons who have a paid, certified hunting license is an even lower number, 14.7 million a decline of almost 11.5% over some previous years. When one considers that the overall population has grown a significant amount during the same time frame, you can begin to see an even greater unhealthy trend. Since 1990, the number of license holders in Massachusetts has dropped by 50,000, or 40 percent; in California since 1980 the number has fallen by almost half, from 540,000 to 300,000. In Michigan, there were 1.2 million licensed hunters in 1992 — but fewer than 850,000 in 2004.

    Age Matters - In 1980 only 40% of all hunters were over 35 years old, in 2004 that had increased to over 70% over 35 years, and according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, today more than 90 percent of hunters are 35 years or older. And nearly 80 percent of current hunters started between the ages 6 and 15, the shooting sports foundation says. According to a Horton Study, the average age of the general hunting population has increased to 43.8 years, indicating that young people are not being recruited to the sport in anywhere near large enough numbers.

    Will This Affect The Future Of Hunting? - You Bet! Here is an eye opening quote... "For every 100 adult hunters today, only 69 youth hunters are coming up to take their place. If allowed to continue, economic projections indicate funding for wildlife conservation could drop 25 percent by 2025. This decline could cause a 24 percent drop in revenue for the hunting industry".

    Why Should I Care? Well, not to mention the obvious impact that fewer and fewer hunters entering the sport will have upon the hunting industry as a whole, a far greater impact will be felt upon our State Conservation Departments across the U.S. You see, a major portion of the funding for State wildlife Agencies is derived from not only the sale of hunting licenses, but also from a distribution of Federal funds distributed to the various states according to a formula based in part upon the number of hunting licenses sold in that state. As hunter numbers drop, the state wildlife agencies feel a double pinch. Less revenue from license sales and less federal revenue distributed to that state as a result of those shrinking license sales. Obviously with fewer and fewer dollars to fund these agencies, enforcement efforts will also decline. Poachers are going to be free to go wherever they please. The quality of YOUR hunting will suffer!

    If we begin an effort to recruit new hunters by getting young people interested in the sport, it will have a tremendous impact for years to come.

    4. What solution do you prefer?

    I propose that the Board of Fish and Game authorize a “Draw Only, Moose Youth Hunt” starting the first Saturday after Christmas break and continue for the next 10 days. This hunt would be open to all youth aged 10 -16 and ideally it would be open to all game management units that could support such a hunt.

    In particular, I would like to see this hunt in Unit 14C. The overabundance of moose within Anchorage has lead to high number of vehicle/moose collisions and several deaths as the result of these collisions. It is possible if these moose where harvest by such a hunt these deaths could have been eliminated. Under the direction of a professional guide or ADF&G, Alaskan youth would be able to safely hunt within the city limits.

    5. Does your proposal address improving the quality of the resource harvested or products produced? If so, how?

    Yes, the quality of harvesting a moose in Dec compared to an August harvest would improve and result in less spoiling of meat, thus less waste of this resource. Also a moose in the freezer is better then one on the hood!

    6. Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt others:

    A. who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?

    Alaskan youth, State of Alaska, all hunting industry business, anyone with a drivers license, insurance agencies. Etc…… This would be a vital first step to insure that hunting will have a brighter future.

    B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?

    People that enjoy seeing moose within the city limits and those individuals that are signed up for the road kill program.

    7. List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

    Set aside a set # of tags from our current moose draw areas and apply them towards “youth only” hunts. I would prefer to leave the current system alone and let everyone have an equal chance on getting these prized tags. I just believe there is enough local moose in the Anchorage bowl area to justify a new youth hunt.



    Tv. i highlighted a few places that could use some better wording. first # 7 does not answer the question asked. the others are as i read them, UN professional, in context. my experience is that submitting a proposal is similar to submitting a resume'. you have many good point and valid subject matter. however these spots, show to much bias by the author

    other wise good work...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    [/U][/I][/B]


    Tv. i highlighted a few places that could use some better wording. first # 7 does not answer the question asked. the others are as i read them, UN professional, in context. my experience is that submitting a proposal is similar to submitting a resume'. you have many good point and valid subject matter. however these spots, show to much bias by the author

    other wise good work...
    Vince.

    Thanks for taking your time to read these proposals. Also I welcome your feedback. I do not get my feeling hurt having my ideas/spelling etc... corrected!

    Troy

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    I am all for it and can not think of anymore than that to say about it!


  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Just updated my copy. Thanks again Vince for your feedback. I did make several changes but I don't understand your comment about #7. Here is is again.

    7. List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

    Set aside a set # of tags from our current moose draw areas and apply them towards “youth only” hunts. I would prefer to leave the current system alone and let everyone have an equal chance on getting these prized tags. I just believe there is enough local moose in the Anchorage bowl area to justify a new youth hunt.

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Just updated my copy. Thanks again Vince for your feedback. I did make several changes but I don't understand your comment about #7. Here is is again.

    7. List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

    Set aside a set # of tags from our current moose draw areas and apply them towards “youth only” hunts. I would prefer to leave the current system alone and let everyone have an equal chance on getting these prized tags. I just believe there is enough local moose in the Anchorage bowl area to justify a new youth hunt.

    because # 7 asks you what other options dd you consider... and why did you reject them

    stating "i believe" is not a reason. or a consideration. for example

    our hunters group, considered not making any changes in the current system, however our group rejected this option due to the excessively high numbers of suburban moose populations as supported by the data provided to us by Fish and game biologist, Alaska moose federation or other org.... combined with the Alaska highway safety numbers and link... estimated cost of road strikes to the state.. back your "believe up" with numbers. i may be able to help with the highway stuff..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default here is another one

    7. List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

    Set aside a set # of tags from our current moose draw areas and apply them towards “youth only” hunts.
    I would prefer to leave the current system alone and let everyone have an equal chance on getting these prized tags. I just believe there is enough local moose in the Anchorage bowl area to justify a new youth hunt

    In researching the high levels of urban moose populations we considered requesting a longer season with liberalized harvest limits for all hunters. we also considered the method of take for these hunt being archery or muzzle loading hunts and the potential high cost of damage for hunts using modern center fire rifles...

    we rejected each of these scenario's due to the population proximity of residents of these units.

    youth hunts are historically safer then any other open hunt( i don't really know this but sound good) for the reason that the youth guide tend to make EVERY conscientious effort to promote safety first and respect for the resource. weather this person is a parent, fish and game rep, or paid service. when it comes to youth and training in the field all parties agree on one common goal.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    because # 7 asks you what other options dd you consider... and why did you reject them

    stating "i believe" is not a reason. or a consideration. for example

    our hunters group, considered not making any changes in the current system, however our group rejected this option due to the excessively high numbers of suburban moose populations as supported by the data provided to us by Fish and game biologist, Alaska moose federation or other org.... combined with the Alaska highway safety numbers and link... estimated cost of road strikes to the state.. back your "believe up" with numbers. i may be able to help with the highway stuff..
    Copy that! Thanks

    Troy

  11. #11
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    another added point to a youth hunt is to recommend a youth weapons proficiency test such as the bow hunters use. you know that if the kids cant shoot they should not be in town hunting... and compaired to us up here.. 14C is all in town...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  12. #12
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Troy here are some numbers regarding moos in the roads and accidents.
    National high way safety report with moose /car/injury's
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/whats...2007AnnRpt.pdf


    Alaska moose federation moose killed by cars

    matsu

    Alaska hunting news


    I am still looking for better official reports for you

    Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    There is currently a drawing youth hunt in the bison ranges here in South 20D. It was very controversial when instituted because it displaced a lot of senior citizens that were able to hunt that area.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •