Thread: Coonan the Barbarian not Conan

Default Coonan the Barbarian not Conan

Hello, I am here to humbly request your help. I live in Valdez and have (since I can remember) been enthralled with the Coonan. I was able to hold one about ten years ago but not shoot it, this didn't help. I am looking for someone in the Valdez, Glennallen, Anchorage, Palmer, Wasilla areas that has one of these that would be willing to set up a fondling and especially a shooting session. I am hoping that with your help I can finally make an informed decision about this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabear99687 View Post
    I am looking for someone in the Valdez, Glennallen, Anchorage, Palmer, Wasilla areas that has one of these that would be willing to set up a fondling and especially a shooting session. I am hoping that with your help I can finally make an informed decision about this. Thanks in advance for your help.
    That is just wrong on so many levels

Default coonan

My coonan is not that kind of girl.

Default Coonan vs Conan

I am hoping that with your help I can finally make an informed decision about this. Thanks in advance for your help.
    I infer that the "decision" to which you refer is purchase of another Coonan? Those are pretty rare. Where did you find one?

I own a Model "B". It is just the standard, full size model. It shoots pretty well, but you have to have pretty big hands to comfortably manage the size of the grip, large because of the length of the cartridge. (In case you don't remember from your last experience.)

Recoil is manageable because it has substantial weight, but I always have to load full power loads to overcome the stiff recoil spring. No "target" loads in this gun. They just don't cycle the action properly (and I don't have a target-weight recoil spring).

I haven't shot mine much because I don't like the way any semi-automatic treats my brass, leaving it scattered all around and forcing me to go crawling around gethering it up. Also, the magazine springs are so strong. My .45 and 9mm are much easier to load, and cheaper, too.

How often do you get into Anchorage? I usually shoot at the Birchwood Range (where I am a member), but the last time I went, it was just too cold to enjoy it. I live near Dimond and the Seward Highway, not far from the Rabbit Creek range.

Lost Sheep

As far as I knew I thought they were out of production. Has somebody started making them again? The one I used to have was very accurate and by simply changing the recoils springs could load anything from very mild to very hot.
    http://www.dancoonan.com/coonan_357.html
    akraven

Default Coonan

Howdy, I wish I had one then that would solve the decision part of my problem. I do remember that they are a large grip and that is my main concern. I do have larger hands but don't want to shell out the money to find out I don't want it. I don't get to Anchorage much but am planning a trip for work some time in December. As for buying one, yes they are no longer made but you can find them on any of the major guns sites. If anyone is willing and we can meet up when I am in their area it would be great. I would even provide the ammo you would just need to let me know what kind you prefer. Naturally your could keep any that was not shot and/or brass afterwords. Thanks

Default Close

I once worked with a bunch of coon*****s that were barbarians. I wanted to shoot them myself but found that they are migratory and illegial to shoot in AK.

Colt made the Gold Cup in .38 Spl but it was straight blowback. The reliable feeding of a rimmed case through an automatic pistol is not an easy task. Finding relaible magzine for a scarce pistil must be a real search. I don't think I would buy a gun unless a coule of magazines came with it.

There are a couple of 1911 pattern guns avaliable in 10mm. That is probably the best power compromise on the 1911 frame.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default 38 Super?

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I once worked with a bunch of coon*****s that were barbarians. I wanted to shoot them myself but found that they are migratory and illegial to shoot in AK.

Colt made the Gold Cup in .38 Spl but it was straight blowback. The reliable feeding of a rimmed case through an automatic pistol is not an easy task. Finding relaible magzine for a scarce pistil must be a real search. I don't think I would buy a gun unless a coule of magazines came with it.

There are a couple of 1911 pattern guns avaliable in 10mm. That is probably the best power compromise on the 1911 frame.
    I had no idea Colt made a Gold Cup in blowback, and for a rimmed cartridge?

Wow.

Isn't the 38 Super pretty much a match for the 357 Magnum?

Lost Sheep

Default Ammo not shot?

Howdy, I wish I had one then that would solve the decision part of my problem. I do remember that they are a large grip and that is my main concern. I do have larger hands but don't want to shell out the money to find out I don't want it. I don't get to Anchorage much but am planning a trip for work some time in December. As for buying one, yes they are no longer made but you can find them on any of the major guns sites. If anyone is willing and we can meet up when I am in their area it would be great. I would even provide the ammo you would just need to let me know what kind you prefer. Naturally your could keep any that was not shot and/or brass afterwords. Thanks
    Since when does one go to the range and have any ammo not shot?

Lost Sheep

Default Colt Gold Cup

The Colt was called a "Midrange" and shot .38 Spl. flush seated wad cutters. It was straight blowback and had a grooved chamber so the cartridges would grip the chamber walls and delay the action somewhat.

S&W made a similar gun - the Model 52.

Loaded to similar power levels the .357 will be a more powerfull cartridge that the .38 Super - the .357 has a significantly large case volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    I had no idea Colt made a Gold Cup in blowback, and for a rimmed cartridge?

Wow.

Isn't the 38 Super pretty much a match for the 357 Magnum?

Lost Sheep
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Coonan

Hello, as much as I love reading all the posts can we get back on task and see if there is someone that can assist me. It would be a real shame if I had to tell the finacial manager the only choice is to purchase one and try it.

Default Hello?

Hello, as much as I love reading all the posts can we get back on task and see if there is someone that can assist me. It would be a real shame if I had to tell the finacial manager the only choice is to purchase one and try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    I infer that the "decision" to which you refer is purchase of another Coonan? Those are pretty rare. Where did you find one?

I own a Model "B". It is just the standard, full size model. It shoots pretty well, but you have to have pretty big hands to comfortably manage the size of the grip, large because of the length of the cartridge. (In case you don't remember from your last experience.)

Recoil is manageable because it has substantial weight, but I always have to load full power loads to overcome the stiff recoil spring. No "target" loads in this gun. They just don't cycle the action properly (and I don't have a target-weight recoil spring).

I haven't shot mine much because I don't like the way any semi-automatic treats my brass, leaving it scattered all around and forcing me to go crawling around gethering it up. Also, the magazine springs are so strong. My .45 and 9mm are much easier to load, and cheaper, too.

How often do you get into Anchorage? I usually shoot at the Birchwood Range (where I am a member), but the last time I went, it was just too cold to enjoy it. I live near Dimond and the Seward Highway, not far from the Rabbit Creek range.

Lost Sheep
    When are you planning on coming into Anchorage (or Birchwood)?

Lost Sheep