Thread: 'Auger Bud'-?

Default 'Auger Bud'-?

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Apparently it attaches to a drill bit and the other end connects directly to your auger blade.... they say its capable cutting through ice fairly quickly, along with making numerous holes on one battery charge.

Someone had one for sale on Ebay...it looked kind of interesting.

Default I looked

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUGER-BUD-Ice-Au...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like it would be weak. I could see it if it went through some kind of gear reduction. Think I'll stick to my good ol' Eskimo.

this looks like a nice auger to have, no engine, no gas, 100 holes per charge.
    http://www.icegator.com/icegator-dvd.html

I know a guy who tried it, and it failed miserably. I was told just buy a gas or electric one and be done with it.

I actually found his "review", here it is.....

I have been drooling for a gas auger for ever. I almost bought one this year but I saw the add on E-bay for the "ice Kicker". It is the attachment that hooks your auger up to a cordless drill so you can cut holes like a gas auger with out all the weight. It also costs only thirty dollars. So I thought great. I bought it, I even bought a new cordless drill. The one I had wasn't powerfull enough. You need an 18 volt with at least 300lbs of torque. I got the 18volt ryobi the guy uses on the video for the Ice Kicker. So today I went up to dowdy itching to try it out. It barley even started the hole. After reversing it and trying again a couple of times it had only drilled a couple of inches and the drill was starting to smell that "my moter is going to burn up smell". So I scooped out the hole and saw I was actually close to the water so I figured finish this hole with the drill then switch back to the handle. As soon as the drill finished the hole the whole thing, my auger and my new attachment fell gracefully to the bottom of the lake. I can not explain to you in words how I felt at that moment.

Now I will admit I may have done it all wrong. I'm not perfect and maybe the chuck wasn't tight against the addapter. Maybe I went to fast or to slow drilling. Maybe the thing doesn't work! All I'm saying is my two cents says the ice kicker is not worth it. Buy a gas auger you will be happier. Or just a hand auger (wich by the way are on sale at Jax right now for $36.00) I picked one up on my way home. I'm sure it works for somebody out there but not for me. Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    I know a guy who tried it, and it failed miserably. I was told just buy a gas or electric one and be done with it.

I actually found his "review", here it is.....

I have been drooling for a gas auger for ever. I almost bought one this year but I saw the add on E-bay for the "ice Kicker". It is the attachment that hooks your auger up to a cordless drill so you can cut holes like a gas auger with out all the weight. It also costs only thirty dollars. So I thought great. I bought it, I even bought a new cordless drill. The one I had wasn't powerfull enough. You need an 18 volt with at least 300lbs of torque. I got the 18volt ryobi the guy uses on the video for the Ice Kicker. So today I went up to dowdy itching to try it out. It barley even started the hole. After reversing it and trying again a couple of times it had only drilled a couple of inches and the drill was starting to smell that "my moter is going to burn up smell". So I scooped out the hole and saw I was actually close to the water so I figured finish this hole with the drill then switch back to the handle. As soon as the drill finished the hole the whole thing, my auger and my new attachment fell gracefully to the bottom of the lake. I can not explain to you in words how I felt at that moment.

Now I will admit I may have done it all wrong. I'm not perfect and maybe the chuck wasn't tight against the addapter. Maybe I went to fast or to slow drilling. Maybe the thing doesn't work! All I'm saying is my two cents says the ice kicker is not worth it. Buy a gas auger you will be happier. Or just a hand auger (wich by the way are on sale at Jax right now for $36.00) I picked one up on my way home. I'm sure it works for somebody out there but not for me. Thanks for listening.
    Another "Don't hire a boy for a man's job" story ...Lots of things fall into that category.

Default This sounds like a similar experience I had:

Some time ago I read on this forum about someone who toted an 18v chainsaw with him in his river boat to cut sweepers and log jams. I thought about that a lot, and then when I went fishing to a lake off a designated trail a few weeks ago and had to break brush to pull my sled, I decided to buy one. I reasoned that it would be quiet (wilderness area) and cut through 2-3" saplings to make navigation easier.
    Unfortunately I bought a Black and Decker instead of a Ryobi or higher end model (it was still over $100). I took it with me ice fishing last time, and it barely even cut through branches, much less small trees. Very disappointing. But as Brian said: "Don't hire a boy for a man's job."

After seeing those(and other similar units) on eBay last year, a friend and i decided to make our on adapter for an 18v Ryobi. With an 8" auger it took my Ryobi 4 batteries to drill one hole. Ice was about 12-14". I went back and did further research to find out a drill should only be mated to 6" or less without some form of gear reduction. The other caveat was after testing, we determined there was a good chance of the auger coming loose and falling down the hole, so we created a stopper out of the lid to a 5 gallon bucket. Waste of a good lid, but it did function. If i were to try a drill again it would be with a really good 5" or 6" auger. Of course for me the point is moot, a certain giant box store put their remaining 8.25" Mag2000's on clearance, and now i happily enjoy 2 stroke fumes when ever i go out ice fishing.
    Last edited by karandas72; 11-25-2008 at 22:32. Reason: numerical clarification