Thread: Muzzle loader mechanics...Help

Default Muzzle loader mechanics...Help

I just acquire a 58 Hawken. It's in pretty rough shape but I think it's restorable. My first problem is the nipple seems to be stuck in place. It's bugered up and a nipple wrench won't fit on it. I can get it to move (turn) slightly but that's it. The only thing I can come up with to grab onto it are vise-grips (small pair) which would probably work except there's not enough room to manuver the tool in the confined space. I'm trying to avoid drilling it out. Does anyone have ideas?
    Thanks
    Sarge
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

First make sure that it is not loaded.

The four keys are: penetrating oil, heat, time, and vibration.

Get at it from both ends with penetrating oil...heat it (not enough to ruin the blue)..let it sit...hit it with oil again...and if needs be tap it gently with wood, plastic, or brass. You said that it will move some, just keep hitting it with the penetrating oil and keep moving it to let the oil penetrate in. Maybe even plug the nipple hole and let penetrating oil sit in the barrel a while. Heat always helps, but please make sure that it has no load in it.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yep what Steve said , I was given one like that one time ,First like Steve said put the ram down the barrel make sure it is not loaded , I poured WD-40 down the barrel and plugged the nipple and let it sit for a week and slowly worked the nipple back and forth and it did come out.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Excellent advice there from stid. A superior penetrating oil is Aerokroil, it is in a orange can and can be had at some auto part stores, FATS for instance... if you are in anchorage. I use it often during auto repairs and have found it to be second to none. WD40 is almost a waste of time but better than nothing for such applications.

Talking

Liquid wrench. You could also file new flats on the nipple and use a wrench to work it. On a side note, I knew there was a reason that dad always told me nipples are for women.

BWM
    "Spirituality is the ultimate survival skill. When one is primarily on a spiritual quest, the desire for material objects is effectively lessened. This can make an enormous difference to us in the coming trials since we stand a big chance of losing many of our goodies. We will be in states of shock and anguish. Yet if we learn to not mind losing them, there is no loss. Material goods are to Americans as alcohol is to a drunk. In both cases, losing the craving is a benefit." Mike Oehler

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791"

Default Thanks....

Thanks guys. I'll keep working it.....and yes it's unloaded....first thing I made sure of!!!
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll keep working it.....and yes it's unloaded....first thing I made sure of!!!
    There's a small but real danger in using visegrips, so go easy. You can twist it off while leaving the threaded shank behind. Solution at that point is careful work with an easy out.

Just in case you dont get it out, I had to drill one out one time and it wasnt a big deal. Just go slow and carefull like you only get one shot at it