Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a reason to cover my boat?

Default is there a reason to cover my boat?

I have a welded aluminum boat. Should I cover this up or just let the snow fall on it? I really cant see a reason why snow shouldnt be able to fall on it.

The motor is off of it.

Default Tarp it

Water can collect and freeze causing expansion in your flotation foam, bilbe pumps, under floor boards, etc... Also, if you have wood floors it is not very desirable to have them immersed in water/ice all winter. Not too mention all the windblown debris that falls into the boat plugging up drain holes and weighing the boat down.
    Tarps are inexpensive and it's easy to cover the boat. Why wouldn't you cover it?
    BK

Wink

My boat is stored away from me, and I have been putting off making the drive over to it to cover it and am just trying to come up with more reasons to procrastanate

Default bkmail is right

You REALLY should cover your boat for the reasons he listed. Also I can't remember if you have floorboards in your boat but if you do, you cannot believe how much crap will accumulate under them. I almost lost my boat last winter deer hunting because a single stupid twig hung up my float switch and the auto bilges didn't come on as I was slowly taking on water and didn't realize it until it was almost too late - and I clean my bilge religiously after every trip AND keep it covered as much as possible. My .02 cents worth.

Definitely cover it! Just like was mentioned, water freezing will destroy it over time. Good luck.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Default well

Just do it!!! Then tell us about it

Blue tarp it. I spent a couple grand on a custom cover and then sold the boat. Obviously it wouldn't fit the new boat, one reason because new boats are always bigger right?

Squirrels and stray cats have used my uncovered boats and covered boats to live in and store food. I wish I still had the photos of the thousands of pine cones a squirrel family stored inside one. Dry it out, and wrap it up.

Talking

I have a 22' aluminum boat that I have stored uncovered for 12 years.....it's a 1996.....I take out the seats and pedestals and put them in my shed, cover the console and tarp the motor. I have not seen any sign of "excessive" wear. I have to clean out pine needles and cones in the spring but I have them falling in all summer as well as leaves when I am fishing silvers in the fall. I have friends who tarp their boats and one of the guys has had his framework collapse twice, trapping water and ice and putting a tremendous strain on his tires and tounge jack.

That being said, I agree that a boat in the water should be tarped but only if you can be very very sure that the tarp will stay up and shed the rain and snow rather than trap it in the boat.

If your boat can be trailered then I would store it on land and not take any chances on a bilge pump.

I have seen ads for a couple of companies who will shrink wrap a boat but I would be concerned about trapped moisture causing corrosion. Anyone with experience with that method of storage?

My next door neighbor made his garage big enough to put his boat in for the winter. I hate him for being smarter than me.

Default Block of ice

My buddy had ice blocks in his boat, even storing it in a heated garage it still didn't thaw it. We had to chip ice forever and it still was all over in places we couldn't reach!

I kept mine covered every year until last year. Will never leave it uncovered again. It just collects way to much dirt, leaves and crap. Hard enough to keep clean during regular use. When I had it covered I could be ready to go for the first time out in an hour or so. This last year it took a full day of cleaning to get it ready. Only took me 15 Minutes to cover it up.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I have a welded aluminum boat. Should I cover this up or just let the snow fall on it? I really cant see a reason why snow shouldnt be able to fall on it............
    You don't want it to get wet, do you?

In response to the question about the shrink wrap, I have never had it done, but I know a guy that has his done every year and he said it works really good w/ out any problems, other than the price of having it done, if I remember right, I think he said it is 400$ for his 26' boat

opps, to late do for me this year. Did not get in time to tarp in. I might tarp it after my whitter trip in dec.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    My buddy had ice blocks in his boat, even storing it in a heated garage it still didn't thaw it. We had to chip ice forever and it still was all over in places we couldn't reach!
    what kept the ice from melting in a heated garage???

It had filled with water to the top of the gunnel, then froze completely solid, and became a big aluminum cooler. With the combination of all the crap trapped in the boat helping insulate the ice, it was a mess, I suppose with time it would have melted, but Alaska summers are short! Ya' know those coolers that claim to keep ice for so many days etc...

Man, all i can say is "WOW" what a mess
    Not much damage when things thawed out I hope?

The foam under the seats, that you can't get to, was assumed disgusting and deemed useless. The wood floor boards, that were pretty much at the end of there life, were tossed in the garbage.
    I hate the "tarp chore" like anyone, but my boat is fiberglass, I even pour a bit of the pink anti-freeze in the bilge and scupper gutters just because.

Default covers

Covering your boat can save you thousands in in maintenance costs and time. I would always have to work on my 25 jet at least one day for every day of use because of storing in it the rain. Its hard on the electronics in the doghouse especially starters and carbs. I got a 12x24 canvas and the boat is always in better overall shape.

I got her shoveled out and covered last night! I feel so much better now, thanks for getting me off my lazy butt there guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast