Thread: Oregon Trail 44 cal bullets

Default Oregon Trail 44 cal bullets

Is anyone loading Oregon Trails "Laser Cast" 44 bullets? They list their diameter at .431, which seems a little large to me. Any comments yeah or nay about these bullets?

I bought a box to load up. I havent shot any yet but I dont expect any issues with them.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default 44 diameter

.431" may or may not be the best size? Depends on the gun. The .431 would work very well in some older cartridges/guns like the 44-40 rifles and revolvers or maybe even some 44 Specials. New 44s would likely have tighter tolerances and may do better with a .429 or .430. But only the gun knows.

If you have a revolver you can slug the cylinder throats and see. Just tap a soft lead slightly oversized and oiled slug thru each cylinder chamber and out the front. Fishing sinkers, 45 cal round balls, soft lead 45 cal muzzleloader bullets will all work. After pushing the slug thru.... mic it. The best bullet size is usually about equal to the the cylinder throat size. OR if you have a .431 bullet see if it pushes thru with only the slightest resistance. Since cylinders are drilled/reamed with same tool.... all the chambers/thoats should be about the same. If in doubt not much trouble using 6 fresh slugs and pushing/tapping them thru to see if any difference among the different chambers/throats.

Example: If you only have .431 cast bullets and your gun's throat/throats = .429...... a way to use those bullets would be to get a .429 Lee Push-thru Bullet Sizing Die. They're about 15.00 plus shipping. Plus, from then on you can use the sizer for any 44 cast bullets, knowing they will be of correct size for the gun.

I've used them with reasonably good results in several .44 magnums and in one .44 Special.

I don't consider them as being quite as good as Cast Performance or Leadhead, but they are comparable to most of the other cast bullets I've used.

I have been using them for quite a while. I use the 255 grain Keith style and they work well in my mag and special. I use W231 for the special and either Unique or W231 in the mag. Good 1000 fps load for the mag and 850 for the special. They are inexpensive and fun to shoot. I've also used the 200 grain in the special with equal results. Jim

.431" is fine unless you have an odd gun with unusually tight throats or bore. I'm actually using a bullet that drops from my mould at .435" and then I run it through a .434" sizer for my Rossi 92. That Rossi has about a .433" barrel.

With cast bullets you generally want the bullet to be one or two thousandths over groove diameter. The thing to keep in mind is that no matter how hard the lead alloy is, it's still much, much softer than a copper or gilding metal jacket.

Mike

Ive used them and .431 is fine. I like Cast Performance better overall but they work well.