Thread: Time for tires

Default Time for tires

I know these threads have been done to death, but I'm clueless on ATV tires. My wife has a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 Auto with the dump box. She needs new tires. It does a lot of trail riding with moments mud mayhem. The stock tires are terrible in mud. I need the perfect tire. Come on guys help me out here.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

A lot of your decision depends on how much you want to spend. The 400 shouldn't have any problem turning 26-28" tires so you could go a little bigger than stock and give her some more clearance.

Pretty much any decent aftermarket tire will be a large improvement over stock. If she doesn't need a serious mud tire, stay away from tires with a large heavy lug (like the 589's, Outlaws, Vampires, etc...) because they tend to ride rougher on the hard pack.

Something like the ever popular Mud Lites are hard to beat. There are dozens of designs out there, but you really need to match them up with her riding style.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Mudbugs are often overlooked and are just as light if not lighter than mudlites. I put 3000 miles on a set and you would never tell by looking at them. I'd get a set in the 26" range and have a blast.

Some of the trails she rides are out by The Papoose lakes. So when you find mud its amazing mud. We rode with a Yamaha Grizzly and the fellow had a fairly wide tire. He had much less trouble than our machine in the floating swamps. The Arctic Cat seems to have great ground clearance. So I think wider would be a priority over taller.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I'd do both, wider and taller. Clearance really benefits you in the mud by not letting the undercarriage drag as much and the price of the tires won't be much different.

I went 2" wider on the front and 1" wider on the rear of my 6x6. I didn't go taller because I wasn't sure if the rear tires would clear each other, now I'm wishing I'd have gone with 26" since there is room for them.

Stock -

A little bit of an upgrade -

AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Those a great looking tires. Whats the brand?
    Unknown author

Thumbs up

They are called Swamp Witch and I have no complaints. They still look almost new after ~600 miles. Mine are 25" diameter, but if you go to 26" or larger, the lugs are actually 1/4" bigger! I think mine are 3/4" vs. the 1". They really pull through the muck!

AKmud

Mudlites are excellent all around tires and are some of the lightest on the market. 26" tires should work well on her wheeler.

Default Wider

but I wouldn't go taller. In a 400 class machine you start to give up power to the gearing fairly quickly. You are going to see a difference just going to any mud tire (in stock size) just from the weight increase. Since you have the dump bed, you use (or plan on ) it for some work. And the Cats are pretty good on clearance with stock height tires
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Mudbugs are often overlooked and are just as light if not lighter than mudlites. I put 3000 miles on a set and you would never tell by looking at them. I'd get a set in the 26" range and have a blast.
    I'll second the MudBugs. I never would have made it into certain areas of Eureka without them or a very close equivalent. I love them, What used to take 4wd in light areas is now 2wd open rear diff.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Akmud,
    I put the 25" 589's on mine. Love them! Did you stay with the stock rims? I did and have a slow leak in the back 2 tires. Stem Valves are o.k.

Yep, I stuck with the stock rims. The fronts were interesting getting the 10" tires on, but they worked. I ended up using 1 1/2" spacers (all I could find locally) on the front even though I only really needed 1/2" to clear the tie rod ends. I have heard that Ranger rims will fit and they have a different offset that will clear everything. I just wanted to avoid buying rims.
    AKmud

You should try the maxxis zillas there lighter than mudlites and i've heard they are good in the mud like mudbugs.

this is what they look like.

WOW I had no idea there was so many choices for tires. Thanks guys this gives me a lot of good ideas. Keep them coming.
    Unknown author

Mudbugs are often overlooked and are just as light if not lighter than mudlites
    I have Mudbugs on my own Cat 500 and Goodyear Rawhide MT/R's on my wife's Cat 500. My wife will not ride my machine with the Mudbugs. She absolutely hates how they bite and grab on the trail and in the mudholes, it just wears her out. I put up with the mud tire issues like that because they get me places I couldn't with stock tires. The harsh reality of it is that her machine is usually stuck about 10' behind mine in a really good mudhole. Her tire perform really well for not being a pure mud tire, but far exceed the stock Carliles that came on her bike in '06. I have to admit that I would rather ride her machine on a hardpack non-technical trail than mine.

Hi guys,
    Here is my opinion. since I used to work on Cats for a living and own a 06 400 myself. Here is what I know. I run mud lites on my machine but stuck with the stock 25" size as a 400 does not have the power to turn a larger tire. Especailly if it is an auto as they ride like they need another gear.I agree stock tires are worthless on the cats.

Merle

Sounds like great advice Merle.