Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Annual launch permits for Whittier???

Question 2009 Annual launch permits for Whittier???

Hey guys, I've got a coulple of quick questions that I hope one of you may have the answers to.

First, has anyone heard of how much the 2009 Whittier annual launch permits will cost, or when they will be available for purchase?

Second, if I do pick up one of these permits, is it linked to one boat specifically? Reason I ask is that I will usually be launching my own boat, but on occasion will rent a larger 24' Kingfisher from Ft Richardson when I take family or more than 2 friends out at a time.

Thanks for any help you all can provide. I unsuccessfully searched all over the Whittier website, including the portion that specifically covers the small boat harbor. Google wasn't much help either.

The permit gets put on the trailer and the boat name goes in the log book. I would assume that means it is tied to the trailer and boat but I don't know if it's a hard rule. You may be able to talk to the harbor master and work something out.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I take it the launch pass does not cover parking?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I take it the launch pass does not cover parking?
    You are correct.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Question

I know that the cost last year was $100, which was a pretty decent deal seeing as how the normal launch is $20 each time. I'm thinking that with the new triple-lane launch going in on the east ramp that the cost may be going up this year. I launch out of Whittier 3-4 times a month, starting in May and ending in late September, so the permit will be my best bet if the price stays right.

At $20 to launch, $20 for the tunnel, and $10 to park, I really hope they don't try to milk us for much more cash. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    You are correct.
    Man I hate being right all the time.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Exclamation

Alright guys, I emailed the harbormaster and got this response. The price has gone up on the annual permits as you can see.

Hi,
    Launches are $10.00 each way or $20.00 round trip. Annual launch passes are $126.00. Fees can be paid at the office or over the phone: (907)
    472-2327 ext. 115. Thanks for you interest,

Ed Barrett
    Harbormaster

Hopefully this info helps any of you guys out there that may have had the same questions that I did.

it has been over $100 for years, it was either 112 or 120 -2 years ago and i believe 120 last year maybe even 125 so it is not much of an increase if any. i know i had to launch 7 times to make it worth while and did not get it last year.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I'm surprised the launch fee isn't changing (assuming that it won't) given the new construction. $20 is still too much, but it'll be easier to take if the facilities are improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Man I hate being right all the time.
    I think in 2006 it was $120. Then the seasonal parking fee, it is still cheaper than haul'in down there each trip.

Hey Gray, you can bring your "pink" bike to ride from the parking lot to the harbor................................

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

If the launch permits were indeed $120 in past years, then the $6 rise isn't too bad. I had heard by word of mouth that it was as low as $100, which was why I was a little surprised when I found out the real price.

After buying the $126 launch permit, I'll still have to pay $30 each trip for the tunnel and parking. Add that with the fact that Whittier has a major lack of services available, I'll probably pass on it and will be spending more time in Seward than in Whittier next fishing season...

?60 miles more to seward = 120 RT
    10MPG= 12 GALLONS x $3.00 = $36 ($4=$48)
    15MPG=8 GALLONS X $3 = $24 ($4=$32)
    3 HRS MORE DRIVING, 3 HRS LESS TIME FISHING, WEAR AND TEAR ON VEHICLE,
    PLUS PARKING IN SEWARD, +/- LAUNCH FEE COST AT SEWARD
    YEP SEEMS LIKE A GREAT ECONOMICAL DECISION
    I LIVE CLOSER TO SEWARD THAN WHITTIER BUT LIKE PWS better.
    BUT IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT FISHING TO ME, FISHING IS PROBABLY BETTER IN SEWARD.
    I USUALLY DO 3-5 DAY TRIPS
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    ?60 miles more to seward = 120 RT
    10MPG= 12 GALLONS x $3.00 = $36 ($4=$48)
    15MPG=8 GALLONS X $3 = $24 ($4=$32)
    3 HRS MORE DRIVING, 3 HRS LESS TIME FISHING, WEAR AND TEAR ON VEHICLE,
    PLUS PARKING IN SEWARD, +/- LAUNCH FEE COST AT SEWARD
    YEP SEEMS LIKE A GREAT ECONOMICAL DECISION
    I LIVE CLOSER TO SEWARD THAN WHITTIER BUT LIKE PWS better.
    BUT IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT FISHING TO ME, FISHING IS PROBABLY BETTER IN SEWARD.
    I USUALLY DO 3-5 DAY TRIPS
    I took all of this simple math into account, but keep in mind the major differences between Seward and Whittier, which factored into my earlier assessment. I enjoy Seward more for a few reasons, such as being able to utilize the Army/AF rec camps, dining options at local restaurants, and much friendlier people that seem to actually appreciate their visitors. Plus, according to your math, the extra $30 in Whittier's fees pretty much pay for the fuel ($50 in Whittier for launch/parking/tunnel VS $20 in Seward for launch/parking). The hour drive between Whittier and Seward is awesome, so I don't mind spending an extra 2 hours of my weekend taking in those sights. These reasons, plus the fact that Seward tends to have much better weather (both nautical and atmospheric) are why I made the earlier comment. Hopefully this resolves your .

I'll probably pass on it and will be spending more time in Seward than in Whittier next fishing season...

Sweet. Music to my ears. I for one am not a fan of Sewage.

But then again, the sights and sounds of PWS are also awesome! I also like getting my cooler ice from Blackstone.

I do agree Whittier could be so much more visitor friendly and could draw more businesses if it wanted too. Then again you all know about ow I feel about that....end of soap box..

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

In the 20 years i have been going to Whittier people i have come in contact have always been very friendly and helpful. it has grown, cleaned up and is much improved and has alot more places to spend your money seasonally. but i don't spend much time there, i launch and head out to PWS. i would guess the majority of people do. then most often i get in a hurry on way home and want to catch the first tunnel opening. it is a unique little town and does not have the population to support alot of business. where Seward is much larger.

Default Whittier Tunnel Math

Passenger Vehicles pulling a boat
    1 each round trip $20
    10 each round trip book $175 or $17.50 each saved $20 or 1 trip at full price.
    30 each round trip book $450 or $15. each saved $150 or 7.5 trips @ full price.
    Good for the life of the tunnel, bought the 30 book and split between two other guys. And I didn't even go to collage?

I paid $123 last year and the same the year before. So it has only gone up $3. I would have expected it to have gone up more with the upgrades they are doing / planning to do.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default There are improvements

At least the harbor is making improvements. The small town/anti-growth attitude has hurt Whittier to some degree.

Every improvement helps.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Thumbs down prices in whittier to boat

The last year the train ran through the tunnel and you could not drive, it cost $140.00 just to put a small boat on the train. So when all you little boaters come in and ***** about the price and are rude to the people who live and work here you ought to realise that just driving through that tunnel gives you over a hundred dollar discount. We did not have a parking problem then and we certainly did not have to put up with all the whinning. The people that came then did not trash our beaches and were more respectful of the locals and nature. The more of you that want to go some place else should do just that. The biggest majority of you that come from the Vally are arrogant disrespectful little twits. Those of us that live here won't be missing out if you do not come.
    Last edited by tjb; 03-02-2009 at 16:36. Reason: misspelled word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast