Thread: Stupid Fishing! 5 million salmon invade one river..

Default Stupid Fishing! 5 million salmon invade one river..

Stupid Fishing

Photos by Nick Braun and Matthew Clark
    Story by Matthew Clark

Sounds to good to be true but its not, I am refering to the Kenai river pink salmon run that occures only on even years. In 2008 anglers saw a banner pink year that was described by guides as 'Stupid fishing' and I was fortunate to have had a small but lasting part in this memorable season. One of the local guides, Ed French - Alaskan Fish Guides, offered to take us deep into the lower Kenai river during the incoming tide where literally tens of thousands of fresh pinks were staging daily for their upstream push.

Pink Salmon are the smallest of the 5 species of Pacific salmon averaging only 3 to 5 lbs. They are known to be more aggressive then most other salmon and will eagerly strike anything flashy and moving.

Most recognizable by their hump they are often seen in the lower river areas of countless numbers of Alaskan streams. they are typically the most numerous salmon found in Alaska. We were fast into the fish on #4 hot pink R&B spinners. We fished the hardware on long 9'6" Lami Certified Pro's with 10 lb flourocarbon. The long arch in these limber rods gives you a very fun fly rod blank feel. We set up on anchor for a while and managed ourselves a 60 second break between take downs on wrapped flatfish. At this point with only one rod out for 4 guys I finally had time for a late lunch and to notice that the few other boats around the area also had constant action with nets always at the ready position.

Ed had spent so much time as a guide doing what he calls his 'fish releasing job' that he had not caught any himself yet and since this was a film venture on his day off, someone else got to hold the fish for the camera for once. Glad we could help Ed!

Honestly this was the craziest salmon fishing I have ever experienced. Anyone who took a cast with anything caught something. A perfect place for the younger family members interested in fishing. Bank fishing up here is limited to a few small areas and because of this I honestly recommend the services of a local guide for any of the Kenai rivers fisheries. We will be back to visit Ed with our cameras again in 2010 for the great invasion known as 'stupid fishing'.......

8 Additional photos from set

Big thanks to our friends and resources that help make posts like one this possible!

Nick Braun - Additional Photo and video Credits, great photos nick, thanks!

Matthew Clark
    Pacific Ghost Productions

Default >>>-------->

Twas impossible to drift a cast or even anchor roe for silvers at Centennial Park late August fore the onslaught.They had the clearance to run the interference.

Pain in the butt they are. Trying to keep them off your line while fshing bows and dollies is near impossible. Fishing for bows and dollies can be tough when the glut is on as well. Kind of hard to put em in the boat when there are eggs from 5,000,000 pinks floating around the river. The bonus is when the spawn is over and the trout are easier to catch they are freeking fat!!!!!!

Look! More good reasons to gear down and fish for pinks, because they are there! lol......

Just lay eggs on the bottom below them for the silvers....

They must be very hard to get by in the mid and upper river when they are all dark and spawning. The level of excitement for pink fishing goes down 9 points after they leave the lower river....

In their prime and full of lice however they are alot of fun on light gear.

We caught a bunch of then in tidewater around Hope as well, scrappy...

They make great practice on a 3-4 wt fly rod. You can catch them all day.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I caught a ton on the mid river this year while fishing for Silvers. I did get some nice silvers though and the pinks were entertaining while I was waiting for the real fish.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

What I was saying about 'eggs on the bottom', Ed showed us how you can lay the eggs on the bottom and you get the silvers but hardly any pinks. Must be done in a straight slow to medium steady current, such as on anchor along the bank. Think we only caught 1 accidental pink that way.

Nothing fancy, just flat on the bottom.....it works!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewC View Post
    What I was saying about 'eggs on the bottom', Ed showed us how you can lay the eggs on the bottom and you get the silvers but hardly any pinks. Must be done in a straight slow to medium steady current, such as on anchor along the bank. Think we only caught 1 accidental pink that way.

Nothing fancy, just flat on the bottom.....it works!
    Yep, that's how I fish 'em too....Bobber up top, and a (heavily) weighted chunk of roe bouncing along the bottom! Very rarely will you pick up pinks this way.