Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Down Jacket/Parka Suggestions????

Question Good Down Jacket/Parka Suggestions????

I am looking to get a good, warm down parka for extreme cold conditions. I may have an opportunity to spend some time in the Brooks this winter and want to be prepared.

I also need a little education on how they calculate the "loft" in down. Example: Cabela's 600 loft is a whole lot different than Mountain Hardware's 600 loft????

Any input is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I am looking to get a good, warm down parka for extreme cold conditions. I may have an opportunity to spend some time in the Brooks this winter and want to be prepared.

I also need a little education on how they calculate the "loft" in down. Example: Cabela's 600 loft is a whole lot different than Mountain Hardware's 600 loft????

Any input is appreciated!
    They sell the Canada Goose Parkas at Big Rays in Fairbanks, these are the warmest SOB'n Down Parkas I have ever tried on. Just putting it on in the store lets you know how warm it is. They isn't cheap though! Think they are like $500-$600, but if your freezing your azz off in the middle of the Brooks during the dead of winter, me thinks money would be no object!...grin This is a link to their website.

http://www.canada-goose.com/0c_products.htm

Default cabelas

check out Cabelas Trans Alaska Anorak:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

A trapper friend who lives in Tanana (very windy) wears one of these and highly recommended it. Myself and a 3 co-workers bought them and absolutely love them! It has windstopper which makes it very warm and obviously blocks all the wind, the hood has all sorts of adjustments, and pockets everywhere. There is plenty of room for layering which is the other reason I love it. I can snowmachine from above zero to 40 below (haven't been out colder than that yet) and always warm if I layer appropriatley. I would not want a mega insulated parka because unless it's going to be super freakin cold out you will sweat your arse off! In fact, a buddy of mine did just that, bought a Apocolypse down parka (big $$) but hardly ever wears it because it's too hot for 90% of his outings. He just bought the Cabelas Anorak and really likes it so far. For me, this is one of those articles of clothing (outdoor gear) that I can't say enough about and would buy another in a heartbeat if mine needed replaces.

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jpost

I have the Cabelas Anorak and it is a great shell to wear over some other layers (especially snowmachining) but it in itself will only keep a guy so warm. If I wasn't gonna be moving around or exerting myself too much in say -30 or colder, I would love one of those heavy Down Parkas over some other warm layers. It does depend what one will be doing in the cold temps as to what gear will work work them. On a side note I recently scooped up one of the Patagonia DAS Parkas, man that thing combined with the Cabelas Anorak is the Cats meow in the cold. Was out at Quartz fishing yesterday (brought the snowmachine)at -8 degrees and was toasty warm.

Default check out wiggy's...

excellent stuff, i have a "sweater" that is great. i know that there is a heavier jacket they make. ask marc taylor about it...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have an older Eddie Bauer Goose Down Parka w/coyote ruff that I have been using for 25 yrs. I only use it during the coldest time of winter. Too bad EB doesn't make this parka anymore. 6th Avenue Outfitters in Anchorage also carries some very nice parkas, believe they are the Canada Goose brand. If I were to buy another winter parka I am gonna look into a synthetic fill design. Read on another forum that if you happen to fall thru the ice and get wet a synthetic parka and pants may increase your chances of survival if you are layered with the right type of clothing. Check out Northern Outfitters at: http://www.northernoutfitters.com/s-2-parkas.aspx also check out the Apocalypse Expedition Parka: http://www.akgear.com/parka1.html

Thumbs up Wow...lots of choices!

I've been trying to think of what I would most likely be using this jacket for. Most of what I do would be exerting myself in some way, but the need is really for those down times when I need the extra warmth. I am thinking much like mushers would have to do while out on the trail...exertion while running and heat when hunkering down for the night or a break.

I have entertained the idea of synthetic, but I have yet to find anything that I am impressed with thoroughly. I have a polarguard fill vest that is really warm for it's thickness and weight; If I could find a jacket like that, I would give it a try.

Thanks for the ideas! Anymore?

Default Anorak

Alaskacub,
    Your right, you do have to layer with the Cabelas Anorak to stay warm in really cold temps. But, layering is the only sensible way to dress in the cold! Starting from my silk weight base layer to my parka I might have 5 or 6 layers on, and with this, I can endure a wide range of temps. If someone is going to be absolutley stationary in really cold weather then I agree and go for the super insulated type parka (even though my layered system might be just as warm?). But, the minute a guy starts to exert energy (shovel, get a snogo unstuck, hike, etc) he will be sweating big time in that big parka and wishing to shed layers which you don't have.

Funny, I made a similar Patagoochie order to you but my DAS Parka is way too big in the body (size large) so I have to ditch it. They were already sold out of the size med puff pants which I really wanted. Kind of a bust for me...

Bucknrut,
    read the reviews on cabelas re: the Anorak. Alot of folks from interior AK chimed in and might help you out.

Default Thankyou for the links

Much appreciate it, I need to check these out. This is a timely subject, as I am shopping for a Christmas present for a special lady. I have a beautiful Black/silver tipped wolf ruff I have been saving for the right coat.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Costco has some Mt Hardwear down jackets for ~$159. These jackets might not be as technical as you are looking for, but might be worth checking out, especially for the $$. Costco is good at letting you return it if doesn't do what you want it to...

I have been wearing the Cabela's Anorak jacket as a shell for the past 2 winters and would be hard pressed to switch. It's great to layer under for longer trips out. I have been wearing one of the cheap cabelas 550 down vests as one of my layers. I have not had a problem with the cold yet.

good choices above. what ever you choose, go with down. don't do synthetic. for a very cold environment (Brooks in the winter), it is very dry and down is a much better insulator. synthetics have their place, especially in the maritime winter environment, as well if you are going to be out in the backcountry multiple days and need to rely on something if it gets wet. in the interior in winter, go with down. a very warm, insulating down parka of quality, should run you around $400-600.

look at cabelas, mountain hardwear, llbean, marmot, patagonia

good luck!

also, forgot, take a look at outdoor research, they have a couple

Thumbs up

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Northern Outfitters....! I have one of their parkas with the lightest liner they offer (two others heavier at the time I bought mine!) and it is insanely warm. In fact I don't find very many opportunities to wear it. We made a 70mph run from Big Lake to Skwentna one time where it came in REALLY nice. -9 leaving Big Lake and -23 in Skwentna. I never got cold! Fogged up like a big dog, but not cold. Ice fishing is another good use.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The Woolrich Down Arctic Parka might work. But the prviously mentioned are great choices. I was thinking of the Trans Alaska Pipeline days, I think those old parkas were awesome. Also another thumbs up for the Cabelas goose down, dog mushers suit/overalls with hood. Trans-Alaska Trail suit is what it's called. The new Elite Series looks awesome, I have the ole originals and I use mine when its pretty cold on the snowgo. They got the built in suspenders on the inside, plenty of pockets, etc...

Hi! And what do you think of Wiggy's Antarctic parka? Has anybody used it? How does it compare to Apocalypse Design Expedition parka? The first one is much cheaper, though

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_mc2 View Post
    Hi! And what do you think of Wiggy's Antarctic parka? Has anybody used it? How does it compare to Apocalypse Design Expedition parka? The first one is much cheaper, though
    My wife has an Apocalypse parka...it was spendy but is really as good as it gets.
    It's a bulletproof arctic (or antarctic) beast.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The Woolrich Down Arctic Parka might work. But the prviously mentioned are great choices. I was thinking of the Trans Alaska Pipeline days, I think those old parkas were awesome. Also another thumbs up for the Cabelas goose down, dog mushers suit/overalls with hood. Trans-Alaska Trail suit is what it's called. The new Elite Series looks awesome, I have the ole originals and I use mine when its pretty cold on the snowgo. They got the built in suspenders on the inside, plenty of pockets, etc...
    lol, just noticed this posting also. Ironically, I have the Woolrich parka. Best cold weather coat I've ever owned. Might be the last, too. It's also bomber.
    Proud to be an American!

Fit: I've become a bigger fan of trying stuff on first, then choosing from what's available that meets my performance criteria. For extra warmth when not hiking, I chose a jacket (Mont Bell Therma Wrap) b/c it fit my insulation/weight/compressibility and fit needs. There were 2 other jackets that worked, but cost more without any gain in features or workmanship. A couple of other brands didn't offer enough room for a layer underneath.

Bombproof: Tony Russ recommends waterfowler's parkas, which I found for my wife and daughter (Cabela's) and they work great for a lot of similar situations (cold early morning boat rides upriver for instance). Try them on though if you can. Nothing like a zipper that fails, or a neck feature that rubs, that sort of thing.

Good luck.

Talking

Down would be GOOD.

Lamilite would be GREAT.

GREAT enough for Conoco-Phillips, anyway. Not comfortable at 0-degrees. Too hot. Works if its wet.

Jus' sayin'...

Taylor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast