Thread: I too am moving to Alaska

Default I too am moving to Alaska

Unlike knucklehead earlier with a similar post, I really am moving to AK and going to live at a remote lodge. I am moving to Amiralty Island. I am going to be Guiding for Salmon and Halibut during the summer season and watching the lodge the rest of the year.

I am planning my trip properly and buying the best gear for the bucks I can spend. I have four months to go and I am boarding the plane.

I am selling everything I own. Closing my business (Painting Contractor)and heading north. Don't get me wrong, business has been good here in Seattle but theres not a dollar in the world that could replace what I am going to be getting paid from mother nature. Selling everything but my guns, rods , clothes and gear. My gear list keeps getting longer as the days get closer to moving it seems.

I am a hunter, fisherman and trapper. I truly cant wait to set some steel, here in Washington its all about cage traps and tree huggers.

Our guiding season will be from May through early September. I am hoping to score on some hunting trips with some other guides and outfitters also. I plan on packing or being camp cook or whatever, just wanna get in the field to learn the way.

I have worked for myself many years in my young 35 year old life. Working nonstop just to make extra cash to head out and hunt or fish. I have been to Alaska hunting and fishing many times in the past and finally have decided it was time for me to make Alaska home.

Its going to be a huge pay cut and a complete different lifestyle than I am acustomed to here, but the rerwards I will gain will be priceless. I should be in a position to be debt free when I get to Alaska so its a new life, new beginning and nothing but dreams come true.

See you all in a few months.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Liveing on Amiralty you should have no problem hunting and fishing. No black bear but good brownies and there used to be good deer. Its one of those places that when deer season starts the brown bears recall a gun shot means frest meat on the ground so its best to hunt with a friend. Don't be suprised to see a bear swiming two miles from shore heading to a different island and dam sure don't let him get to close to your boat.I think you will love it,congrats.Expect to have plenty of snow if you are on the north end.

No offence was meant by calling the earlier young man a knucklehead, I just hope he gets better prepared then he seems to be. I dont know how to edit it so I figure here is my place to correct the typing.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by steeliekingfisher View Post
    No offence was meant by calling the earlier young man a knucklehead, I just hope he gets better prepared then he seems to be. I dont know how to edit it so I figure here is my place to correct the typing.
    I could be entirely wrong about the poster you are referring to, but in reading his posts, I would say he is better prepared than the majority of Alaskans. Sounds like you have a good plan as well. Good luck to both of you.

To me he is noway a knuclhead but a very smart young man. He si willing to ask questions and of coarse at his you age has no clue as to Alaska. I too was in his position many yrs ago and had to learn by school of hard knocks. I salute that young man and wish him nothing but the best fo luck. I think he will be a great additon to Alaska.

just what we need another "proffesional amateur" know it all. at least the previous poster asked valid questions and seemed to be taking them in.

Quote Originally Posted by oka in ak View Post
    just what we need another "proffesional amateur" know it all. at least the previous poster asked valid questions and seemed to be taking them in.
    What we need is as many members as we can get, lets try not to run them off before they get 10 post under there belt. I was in the same position six years ago and I sure am glad I had some true Alaskans around to show me the ropes. He apologized for the knucklehead comment let it go...

Sure wish I wasn't called a knuckle head.

I sure try to take advice and put it to good use.

Default You better have thick skin

Don't let these nay sayers get to you. I remembered when I brought in a chain saw mill and started working on my place 8 miles off the road. Some of the neighbors thought I was out of my mind and wouldn't be able to do it. My point is have a good plan and always have an escape route/backup plan and don't let pride get in the way. My cabin has been one of the greatest experiences of my life.

I'm working with what if have at the time. I don't the the funds nor time right yet. BUT, I yes, that's ME, AM moving to AK! (quote Unlike knucklehead earlier with a similar post, I really am moving to AK )

If I was in the same place as you, I'd be doing the same thing.

The hardest part will be convincing people you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    The hardest part will be convincing people you can do it!
    Andrew, that's the easy part......you don't have to convince anyone of anything, except yourself.

Good Luck.

Yeah I know that. But if people knew how much I wanted to do this they would have no dobt. I really don't care what other people think about me, and my ideas, most of the time. Ofcourse I want suggestions.