Thread: Rem. 870 forearm

Default Rem. 870 forearm

My son is replacing the wood on his 870 with composite. We need to take off the forearm, but can't figure out how to do it. Anybody out there done this before? Thanks in advance for any help.

You need a little spanner wrench to get the nut off. If you buy a Choate or Hogue stock they throw one in. It's been so long since I've taken mine off..but I think my extended tube on mine replaces the nut.

Default Thanks Doug, but there's no nut!

I'm looking at it right now, and there is no nut (unless you mean the big knurled nut that holds the barrel to the magazine- the barrel is already off). The forearm fits onto the slide mechanism which telescopes over the magazine. It looks like it is force fitted somehow over the slide... sure hate to expand it and break the wood as I want to use it on my 870 which is more beaten up than his.

Default Oh yeah!

Gotcha! I can see that there is some kind of recesses in a ring which looks like it would take a special wrench. Guess I'll wait to see if he gets one with his new stock... or old dad will have to go bush and make one out of a pipe or something.

Default Looking at my 870 now too...

Sayak,
    I've taken up your cause and can walk you through this issue....
    1st; unload gun, check and recheck you have an empty chamber.
    2nd; remove the barrel nut that holds the barrel to the gun.
    3rd; remove the barrel, slides out directly forward.
    4th; looking at the gun from the top down there should be a 1/8 inch slit in the wooden stock, underneath where the barrel would go. Following that slit to the very front of the fore stock (looking down into the barrel grove) should reveal a round nut. That nut is what needs to come out using the spanner wrench discussed in a previous thread.
    5th; remove the forestock by disengaging the slide bars inside the frame. slide off the forestock.

The wooden forestock is not a press fit but rather a machined inletting into the metal slide bars. One thing you could could consider is merely replacing the entire fore stock and slide bar assembly into your 870 rather than removing form the metal hardware. Have your son use the metal slide bars from your 870 to adapt tot he synthetic fore stock.

FYI, be careful on the synthetic install that the slide functions properly. some of those plastic forestocks have a tendency to bind.

good luck sir/

By your follow up post, I'm guessing you haven't got the forend off of the magazine tube, but you do have the barrel off. If that is the sticking point, here is the proceedure...

Ensure the hammer is cocked before removing the forend and bolt assembly by running the action all the way to the rear. While the gun is apart, do NOT pull the trigger for any reason as you risk damage and if the hammer is forward you will not be able to put the gun back together.

Look inside the bottom of the receiver through the magazine loading port and on each side is a shell stop that is a spring bar recessed in the sides of the receiver. To remove the forend (along with the bolt), you need to press in the left shell stop (the one on the opposite side from the ejection port). While holding that in, you can now slide the forend and bolt assembly forward and out of the receiver. Note the bolt is just sitting on top of the rails and will fall free when it clears the receiver (2 pieces). Note the orientation of the bolt and carrier plate as they come out to help with reassembly.

With the forend off, you now have full access to the nut on the forward end that holds the stock in place. While it is best to have the purpose tool for this job, if the nut isn't too tight you can sometimes get it free with the tip of a large flat screwdriver. If you attempt that, be very careful not to mess up the threads and don't pry against anything in the process. If the nut doesn't easily start to move with some pressure on one of the 2 slots, then I would highly suggest you stop and obtain the right tool.

After you've swapped stocks, putting it back together takes a little finesse. Start the forend onto the magazine tube until the two bars are just about to enter the receiver. Place the bolt on top of the carrier plate with both of the rounded ends together. The rounded ends go into the receiver first. The notches on top of the rails match the tabs on the bolt carrier. You'll need to hold both bolt pieces together on top of the rails as you slide the whole mess into the receiver. Everything will stop once it is about 1" into the receiver. Apply very little pressure with the forend while you reach into the magazine feed area and press in the RIGHT shell stop (ejection port side). The bolt will move in about 1/8" and stop again. Continue with very light pressure and press in the LEFT shell stop. The bolt will now move the rest of the way in and lock back into the receiver.

Hope that helps.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!