Thread: Sinker help needed!

Default Sinker help needed!

I am going to be fishing the Kenai for Reds this July. What size sinkers will i need? a buddy has a bunch of sinker molds and i will cast some up. The weights i can mold are 1/4 3/8 1/2 3/4 and 1oz. What weights are the most common used? I know it depends on the day and where in the river i will be fishing but i am looking for some general ideas. Thanks guys for all your help!

anyone here that can help??

I carry 1/4 and 3/8 oz barrel weights. I usually start with a 3/8oz above a swivel and then add or subtract depending on the current. People will use every type and shape of lead you can imagine. I use the barrel weights because it is fast and easy to tune to the current.

Barrel sinkers are my preferred method as well if the current is really swift I will use up to a 1/2 oz weight and peg my sinker. Flourocarbine or braided line is a must as they are the most sensitive lines on the market and sensitivty is crucial in the current. The fish will spit the fly out as quick as they pick it up. You have to be ready immediately to set the hook.