Thread: single barrel

Default single barrel

I was wondering if anyone out there is using a single barrel to hunt with or has used one? I was thinking of changing to one for more of a challenge.............

I have used a single barrel 20 since I was a kid. It is a little more of a challenge if you tend to shoot twice at game. It will teach you to reload faster and make the first shot count. It is also lighter than a semi or pump. That means alot if you like to take your gun on long walks.

Thumbs up No other way to go!!

I agree with Wombat. I heard the rabbits are a little larger and the terrain can be different up there, but here in Michigan I've used nothing but single shots for bunnies and small birds. Some of the buddies will carry a auto loader or pump, but most the time they are just cuttin brush and spending extra $$ for shells. Not only will you learn to reload fast, you will learn to tame your shot. I reach for the Stevens .410 unless we are under heavy brush or aiming at a lot of grouse, then I opt for the 20 gauge.

my 2 cents

Happy Huntin
    bnr

Been shooting a single shot 12 gage since I was 9.I really think it has made me a better shot knowing that I might not get another shot off.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Years ago when I was still living in MI I had an old Victor single shot in 16 guage that I used for rabbits. I believe that shotgun was what really got me interested in the Ruger #1 rifles.

Question Who makes a good single shot?

Speaking of Single Shots...Anybody know of a "good-shooter", quality steel...I would like to get Coral a nice .410, but there is just not a lot of them out there...

Default NEF

NEF/ H&R make the best singles now and they have a 410 single or you can get the combo with a 410 and a 22 barrel in a youth model ( 12" lop ) Single barrels are a dime a dozen in Pa. as just about every farmer had one in the barn or next to the front door.

I agree. Don't own any right now, but raised my kids on them. The CF rifle barrels are accurate way out of proportion of price.

It occurs to me that I'm using single barrels a lot now, but never really thought of them that way. Muzzleloaders. Reloading is WAY slow compared to the NEF/H&R line and cleanup is a mess, so there are tradeoffs. Same or worse pressures to hit right the first time, though!

H&F/NEF are the way to go. I was given my 20 by my father and it was given to him when he was a young man. New NEF are about $110-140 so they arn't too expensive. If I were you BnR I would look for auctions, pawnshops, and estate sales for a good looking older model H&R. Redo the stock and put a little elboy grease into the action = thing of beauty!

Default Single shot

I still use a Sears & Roebuck single shot .410. I've taken a lot of spruce hens with it, but only one rabbit. I am trainin' the oldest on it and am going to buy him a .410 Mossberg pump.

Tim

Talking old H&R vs. New NEF

Personally I think the older H&R's are just plain better than the NEF's. The wood for example is much more proportioned to those rough cut 2x4's they put out on the NEF's.
    I also own a few old Stevens 94 single shots. They can be picked up very reasonably.
    In fact my last one cost me $25.00 It had the barrel cut down to 18" and is ugly as heck. There is no front bead but it patterns great out to 20 yards or so with 6 & 7 1/2's. I might put a polychoke on it but then again it shoots right on the way it is and I don't have that pesky bead to worry about!
    I'll post a pick of my truck gun! And you all can make offers!

ciao ya'll

reuben....

Thumbs up Right on Reuben!

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    Personally I think the older H&R's are just plain better than the NEF's. The wood for example is much more proportioned to those rough cut 2x4's they put out on the NEF's.
    I also own a few old Stevens 94 single shots. They can be picked up very reasonably.
    In fact my last one cost me $25.00 It had the barrel cut down to 18" and is ugly as heck. There is no front bead but it patterns great out to 20 yards or so with 6 & 7 1/2's. I might put a polychoke on it but then again it shoots right on the way it is and I don't have that pesky bead to worry about!
    I'll post a pick of my truck gun! And you all can make offers!

ciao ya'll

reuben....
    I own the newbies and the oldies and they are both "good shooters" but if I can you tell that, of the ones I own, the H&R is of much better quality than the NEF. Not only do they have nicer wood (grain pattern, finish, and it's wittled down a bit), I think the steel on the HR is much nicer (not the coated junk they use on the NEF's. I "use" the snot out of those guns...the NEF shows it by the chips in the barrel and the dents in the wood, but they both knock down the dirty birds!

If you find either for $25, I'll take um anyday...BNR

im looking for a used single shot 410 anyone have one for sale?

Talking you asked for it!

Okay... this is what a $25.00 shotgun looks like! She is short and easy to carry and shoots quite well all things said!
    It has a much better trigger than my H&R, which requires a hefty tug!
    I don't worry about this one being stolen nearly as much as I would my Browning sweet-16.
    Yup... this one stays in the truck for those impromptu hunts....

ciao ya'll

reuben...

Talking Sweet pic!

That would make a nice advertisement!

I'll give ya $30 for it! :-)

Smile sweet?

Well it does have a certain..... umm...... quality about it! I'm still debating putting the polychoke on it. I have an old 16 gage westernfield pump that belonged to my dad that has a poly on it. I've been meaning to take that out as well but there is little time for hunting right now..... just the impromptu incidental kind.
    This one has a much better trigger than my H&R, but the H&R action opens on it's own when I hit the release lever. A feature I really like actually. The Stevens here needs some help to open.
    I'll post a pick of my H&R one day. She is also a 12 gage with a 22 inch barrel (my doing) and a cylinder bore choke. It also has a 30/30 barrel. Nice little camp/survival combo if it wasn't for the 30 pound trigger!

konichwa ya'll.......

reuben.......

Talking sounds like a personal problem

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    ...The Stevens here needs some help to open.

reuben.......
    There is only one reason why a single needs help openning up...it just doesn't get enough alone time with you. Take that puppy out and play with it a while. A little TLC goes a long ways.
    ...the gun guys, I was talking about THE GUN!!!

Thumbs up christenening

Well my beat up Stevens single shot got her first grouse today. Never underestimate the power of a $25.00 shotgun!
    Since I have recently begun to name my guns.... boredom I guess... I have christened it.
    Henceforth and forever to be known as Mabel........ She has earned her first stripe and a permanent position in the "coveted" Truck gun category.....

ciao y'all....

reuben....

p.s. Shot two whitetails on saturday..... three shots.... three kills... the curse has been lifted!!!....