Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The need to vent

Default The need to vent

Last month my wife bought me a new RCBS press. I have spent the last few weeks getting everything else that I needed to start loading some 300wsm loads but now I cant get my hands on the powder that I want, the primers that I need, or the bullets that I want to shoot.

I thought it was a "Fairbanks" issue, so I started calling the Anchorage stores only to find the same problem. I was about ready to pull the trigger and bit the shipping bullet through Cabelas, but guess what... they are out of stock too.

What are you guys doing to get the stuff you need? Has anyone thought of putting together a large purchase of powder just to make shipping worth it? Im open to other suggestions as well.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I just got home from the Anchorage Sportsmans Warehouse today and they had said that they have several pallets worth of reloading stuff due to show up on Monday. I would suspect that your local Fairbanks stores are also expecting shipments soon. Give them a call and find out when there stuff is going to show up and then get down there first thing to fetch up what you need before it all sells out again.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I have been calling SW on a daily basis for over two weeks now. They dont expect to have anything here for at least 2 weeks.

Default Have you tried Frontier Sports or Sentry Hardware in North Pole?

Both Frontier Sports and Sentry Hardware have smaller selections of reloading supplies. Last week I got some primers and powder at Frontier Sports after experiencing the empty shelves at Sportsman's Warehouse. If that doesn't work, post what you need and maybe somebody in town will help you out.

If you are in Anchorage Great Northern Guns has tons of primers and podwer on the shelves.
    SW is a total waste
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    Both Frontier Sports and Sentry Hardware have smaller selections of reloading supplies. Last week I got some primers and powder at Frontier Sports after experiencing the empty shelves at Sportsman's Warehouse. If that doesn't work, post what you need and maybe somebody in town will help you out.
    Thanks for the heads up, I went past Frontier today and thought about stopping but I didnt think they would have them.

I am looking for Barnes bullets (180 TSX), Reloader 19 (Great Northern Guns didnt have it), and CCI 250 primers.

Has anyone ever used Natchez shooters supply? The prices for a 5lb keg are cheap (79 bucks), hazmat fee for all orders is $20, and shipping for one keg is $30ish. It doesnt work out for ordering one keg, but if others in and around fairbanks want to piggyback on my order this week it could make it worthwhile.

Default primers and RL19

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I am looking for Barnes bullets (180 TSX), Reloader 19 (Great Northern Guns didnt have it), and CCI 250 primers.

I could prolly' help with the primers and powder. Just shoot me a pm.

Jake

midsouthshootersuppy.com is a great place to buy bullets. I just ordered some dies and 500 158gr bullets last week for my 38's. They ship USPS Flat rate.

I may be interested in the primer/powder deal, pm me. But, I think if we give it a week or two we'll see primers and powder back on the shelves here in Fairbanks. This drought won't last forever.

I have used Natchez on several occasions and have never had issues; shipping is fast when items are in stock and prices are excellent for the most part. Powder Valley, Inc. is an excellent source as well for powder, primers, and bullets, but I'm not sure on their shipping costs or policies for Alaska.

PVI isn't completely immune to the droughts but they always seem to outlast others as far as their stock levels are concerned. In the least, check them out.

You could also try Powder Valley Inc(www.powdervalleyinc.com) for what your looking for. You can't get away from the hazmat fee, but they do ship powder/primers together, so you only pay the $20 once. The prices are good.

I e-mailed powder valley a few weeks back and they said they don't ship to Alaska Bummer as they have great prices.

I can understand the op's frustration. A few friends and I put together a group order on powder, and it looks like everything we want is available. That and some bullets I ordered before the election should keep me going for awhile.

Sportsmans has really got me mad. They told me last week they were getting a shipment Monday and to try them Monday night or Tuesday morning. I went in Monday and today and they did not have a single new powder or primer. I don't think they will be getting any more of my business.

I am not sure what you are looking for but Frontier has some powder and primers. Here is a short list of some of the powders I noted they had more but I did not write them down. They only had CCI LR Mag primers on the shelf, but were putting out some others as I left.

N 350, N 320 N 310, N560, N 160, 3n37

H322, H414, H 4831, Varget, IMR 4320

Hope this helps

Ya, I stopped in at lunch today and talked to a few guys buying stuff. Were you one of them? Talking to a guy who was buying Accubonds, myself and two other guys. All I need is some CCI small pistol primers. They'll have some more stuff coming.

Check Frontiers, I got my CCI 250's there today. I bought a brick because I figured it might be a while before I saw them again. SW is almost to the point where they can kiss my butt, I am so tired in being told to check in Tuesday or Wednesday each week...

Arctic Gunworks will have 250's in tomorrow as well.

Frontier had limited powder too, just not what I needed.

Wasn't me. I saw the empty shelf's and turned straight around and left.

I do not mind places not having stuff that happens, but I do not like being lied to when I ask when they will get there next shipment. So I am done with sportsmans, I should know better then to give my business to a big chain anyway.

I found what I needed at Frontier, not exactly what I wanted but it will work. They said a new shipment is due late next week or early the week after. So I will check back then.

It sure would be nice if they could put us on an email list and send up dates as to what they had ordered and in stock. If any of the stores did this they could really corner the market right now.

Default Sporstmans

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    Sportsmans has really got me mad. They told me last week they were getting a shipment Monday and to try them Monday night or Tuesday morning. I went in Monday and today and they did not have a single new powder or primer. I don't think they will be getting any more of my business.
    I feel the same way so I no longer shop at Sportsmans for reloading componants. I got tired of driving from North Pole "every Tuesday" to verify that they are full of $h@t.

It sure would be nice if they could put us on an email list and send up dates as to what they had ordered and in stock. If any of the stores did this they could really corner the market right now.
    Sounds like the perfect home based small business plan to me The only downfall would be shipping, but I think I know a way around that as long as things are ordered in large quantities.

Wasn't me. I saw the empty shelf's and turned straight around and left.

I do not mind places not having stuff that happens, but I do not like being lied to when I ask when they will get there next shipment. So I am done with sportsmans, I should know better then to give my business to a big chain anyway.

I found what I needed at Frontier, not exactly what I wanted but it will work. They said a new shipment is due late next week or early the week after. So I will check back then.

I meant in Frontier. That's where I was. I've always liked doing business with those guys. Their prices are reasonable also for the most part I think. The last two guns I've bought, I've bought from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I have been calling SW on a daily basis for over two weeks now. They dont expect to have anything here for at least 2 weeks.
    You need to talk to Nick, Randy or Al at the fbks sportsmans gun counter. I got a box of 1000 small rifle primers the other day. They are holding lots of stuff in the back because some of it is going missing or as one of the other employees said, "some guy just came by with a cart and swept everything off the shelf into it. Had to have bought close to $3000 in reloading components..."

Walmart just got a ton of .223 in also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast