Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai River Winter Fishing

Default Kenai River Winter Fishing

Has anyone hit the Kenai recently for Rainbows?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Have not in about a month TD. Looking to here right after the turkey day. If i get a 4day weekend im heading there friday;.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'm thinking a few left over Silvers chased by a few fat Rainbows with a side dish of "Goat" hotdogs and a warm coca river side beverage will make a memorable winter weekend.

Default i made that run

i ran that last weekend and it was incredible. i was the only boat on the river and we must have landed 15 fish to all 3 of us...... we didnt get out of the boat to fish and we also had time for a nice fire. ive never fished the kenai when its been like that. it was so peaceful. its a little too cold for me though, when it drops below 20, im out of the game, i get sick of the ice in my eyelids. time to put the boat up and get my skiis out!

I am hoping to get down there in the next week or two. Hopefully it will still be good and the fish will not have all moved to the lakes. If anyone has an update that would be great.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Went on Friday. Fishing is slowing down as the trout migrate. Still some nice rainbows/dollies around and you find them were the silvers are spawning. Not as many silvers rising as there were a week ago so...

River is real low and still dropping everyday according to the USGS Real Time Data website. Which means that many holes are losing the current that is needed to float through at the proper speed. We have not tried fishing from the bank which would require standing in the water at 20ish degrees. However, I have seen a couple of guys doing this but they are obviously tougher than we are.

Lots of ice at the boat launches so bring sand, chains, and a shovel. But when can you float the Kenai River and have miles of water virtually to yourself? It is not for everyone but still it is open water fishing in late November without having to go to warmer climes. Having said that we are pretty much done for the year. Water temps are not good right now and unless we get a chinook storm in it will not improve until springtime.

There's always fish to be had year round if you know where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    i ran that last weekend and it was incredible. i was the only boat on the river and we must have landed 15 fish to all 3 of us...... we didnt get out of the boat to fish and we also had time for a nice fire. ive never fished the kenai when its been like that. it was so peaceful. its a little too cold for me though, when it drops below 20, im out of the game, i get sick of the ice in my eyelids. time to put the boat up and get my skiis out!
    middle river?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default akpm

i did the upper that day, sportsmans to jims...

LOL did you freeze your little cuervo cookies off buddy. I bet it was tough. catching fish and the fire helps. Look at the bright side. You beer did not get warm

Be afraid...be very afriad

i did the upper that day, sportsmans to jims...

wow suprised you caught so many..

Talking Oh please

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    wow suprised you caught so many..

I have fished with Jose. A 16 inch bow is 24 inches 3lbs is 6. He could never be a carpenter with the way he process's numbers So divide by 2 and that would be more like it. Sorry Bud. Actually he is a very very good fisherman that knows the river well and does pull alot of fish out of there. No doubt in my mind he had a good day

lol like all fishermen then... I need to patch up my waders so I'm more enticed to get out there

Default ok

ok ok yeah, now that i do that math that does seem ridiculous, it was more like 20 fish throughout the day between the 3 of us. **** the curse of the fish.

symptoms : senses tickeled, patient will suffer from an extreme case of exaggeration... ect

it was just so different fishing in the snow you know. after having those incredible days on the kenai in the fall........ its just so unthinkable that i can still do very good, it wasnt that cold at all, and the best part about it, i didnt see another boat.

great now next year, im going to go out for some peace and serenity and itll be all blown up in mid november just like sept..... cant have a stretch JUST to yourself for a couple seconds... we all know how that is.

chuck are you heading out this weekend? I wish i could go, im headed for vegas on friday(id rather fish!)!! i hope you do well man!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are pretty fish!

So I'm guessing you were beading behind cohos? Or were you down and dirty on the swing... Hmmm using 2 hands on sunday seems better and better...

Hey Chuck need someone to row or a shuttle or something?

Default akpm

if i had known you had the itch man.... we should have rolled out last weekend.... or even this friday for a suicide trip then off to vegas at midnight!! well atleast you know now offer is open...... i usually have a seat open on my boat, and if i dont... then i have 1 guy from my boat row my other 2 man cat, and we convoy it, and even if im not going... it would be because i have no1 to go with haha next time!!!

down and dirty with big meaty flesh.. i also had my other buddy rockin a bead with a big stringy flesh. didnt even need to use weight really.... water was so low. but, still some nice deep holes.. its very wierd, the river flows so different you cant fish the same spots you normally would, or atleast me... so we had to improvise.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Those are pretty fish!....
    Yeah! Those are some beautiful fish!

Im home this weekend. Family things and some work stuff. I might chase some bunnies on friday or sat. Not sure yet. Jose I know where you caught those fish. I know that spot. I have fished the river in the snow quite a few times and there is nothing like. especially when it is snowing big flake. the silence is amazing

ok ok yeah, now that i do that math that does seem ridiculous, it was more like 20 fish throughout the day between the 3 of us. **** the curse of the fish.

symptoms : senses tickeled, patient will suffer from an extreme case of exaggeration... ect

it was just so different fishing in the snow you know. after having those incredible days on the kenai in the fall........ its just so unthinkable that i can still do very good, it wasnt that cold at all, and the best part about it, i didnt see another boat.

great now next year, im going to go out for some peace and serenity and itll be all blown up in mid november just like sept..... cant have a stretch JUST to yourself for a couple seconds... we all know how that is.

chuck are you heading out this weekend? I wish i could go, im headed for vegas on friday(id rather fish!)!! i hope you do well man!
    Two, No Three Words.....Sweet, Awesome! Jealous!

Is the Kenai Open Year Round? If so...do any of you die-hards fish there during the winter?

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast