Thread: Oil Question

Question Oil Question

There seems to be several on here that are quite good in the kitchen. I have a question pertaining to oil.

I do not cook a great deal, due to the fact that my wife and I like to eat and most of what I cook is not palatable. But I do enjoy frying catfish and crappie, and turkeys. I have always used peanut oil while deep frying, because that is what was used by those that showed me how to cook them.

My question is, what is the reasoning in using peanut oil and not just regular vegetable oil. Does it heat differently, taste different, and or cook diffirent. Any help would be great.

The main reason I ask, recently we did a fish fry and turns out unbeknownst to me, one of our guests was allergic to peanuts and all peanut by products. Thanks for any insight. Shane

Default May be some help

Alot is taste and health. peanut is healthier than reg. veg oil. Now they also have diff. smoke temps. Meaning one will burn before the other. Thats why Extra virgin olive oil is bad for frying fish in. It has a very low smoke temp.

If you want to use oils to fry in your corn/veg oils are fine. Just not as healthy as peanut.
    Down south they use cans and cans of crisco ( lard ) to fry fish Not healthy but good flavor.

Hope that helps.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Thanks Motorboatn...that helps alot.

Default Hey not a problem.

I happen to do alot of cooking.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

+1 Motorboatn

Folks switched from Lard to peanut for basically health reasons. Both have a high smoke temp and are easy to use. However peanut oils have draw backs as well. They impart more of there own flavor, many are allergic to nuts, they don't hold up to repeated use well and your getting just as much fat......true it's the good kind of fat but it is still higher in calories and fats than other veggie oils. Personally I've been moving back to real ingredients and have dropped veggie oils for deep frying, lard is where it's at!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.