Thread: Big Su Ice Fishing?

Default Big Su Ice Fishing?

Do people have much luck ice fishing the Big Su from the road system access points without need for snowmachine ride to get to the fishing spots?

Seems like there should be lots of big rainbows that drop out of the clearwater streams to hold over for the winter, and burbot also.
    Any suggestions?

I would assume finding good solid ice downstream from the mouths of the clearwater streams would be the best bet.

If the current is fast do people use canonball weights to hold bait down or to backbounce a lure downstream from the hole?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

ive never fished the su or any other river through the ice for that matter but i would try where water eddies up especially for burbot. where a clear stream comes in the su immediatly downstream there should be slackwater where the stream or creek pushes the su out and away from the bank. if you drill a hole and see water raging benieth you id personally try elswhere.

Waste of time...fish have gone deep, down stream!

What about the confluence of the willow I have been told that the fish hold in there all winter?

Default They must go somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Waste of time...fish have gone deep, down stream!
    They must go somewhere! The question is are they accessible?

I would think with the river water volume at less than 1/10 th of summer volumes, and with all the drop downs from the clear water streams, that if you can find them in the Big Su they would be concentrated very nicely......

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

they are in the deep holes of the big su throughout. ive been down to the mouth of the big su and theres not much for deep water down there. just like in the summer id look at cutbanks for deep water and eddys, and dont forget where other creeks come in. if i had a snowmachine id be all over that river looking for burbot. maybe the mouth of the slough that runs into flathorn is a good holding spot?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Do people have much luck ice fishing the Big Su from the road system access points without need for snowmachine ride to get to the fishing spots?
    Yes. But for whatever reason, I have had better luck on the Talkeetna and Yentna Rivers, than the Su for Burbot. One spot that I haven't fished in a long time on the Su is where Rabideau Creek dumps in. It was excellent a few years back for Burbot. I think another spot that might be worth some effort, is where Sunshine Creek (slough) dumps in the Su. These two spots you can get to, without a snowmachine. Seems to me, the faster flowing creeks, like Willow, Montana, etc, simply don't hold Burbot or Pike, so I would focus on the sssssllllowww mooooving tributaries. On the Talkeetna, I have only tried it once, right where Larson Creek dumps in, and it was dynamite. I have had others tell me the same thing about where Sheep River dumps in the Talkeetna, but never went that far up. You really need a snowmachine to do these two, or walk a very long way.

I bet the alexander creek area would be good for pike and maybe burbot, its slow and deep... I'd probably spend more time fishing for pike elsewhere though...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Do people have much luck ice fishing the Big Su from the road system access points without need for snowmachine ride to get to the fishing spots?.....
    The only time I fish the Big Su is between October and breakup.

The fishing is great. The rainbow fishing is great until you can't get the presentation through the slush anymore.

Once it ices over the burbot fishing is great, but they aren't big. Access is limited without a snowmobile.

....Seems like there should be lots of big rainbows that drop out of the clearwater streams to hold over for the winter, and burbot also.
    Any suggestions?........
    Forget the rainbows after November. I haven't been able to find them.

When the water is still open, the fishing is outstanding. It's world class wild rainbow fishing.

.......I would assume finding good solid ice downstream from the mouths of the clearwater streams would be the best bet........
    It is, but it's regulatorially limited near the mouths of most of the feeder rivers.

......If the current is fast do people use canonball weights to hold bait down or to backbounce a lure downstream from the hole?
    I do for burbot.

I haven't caught anything else in mid-winter.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    .....One spot that I haven't fished in a long time on the Su is where Rabideau Creek dumps in. It was excellent a few years back for Burbot......
    I had that confluence down to a science, but it wasn't any better than any other.

It was just more accessible.

.......Seems to me, the faster flowing creeks, like Willow, Montana, etc, simply don't hold Burbot or Pike, so I would focus on the sssssllllowww mooooving tributaries........
    That isn't so. It's just that the slower water is easier to fish, even in winter.