Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fly Rod and Reel

Default New Fly Rod and Reel

So I am sitting here in Iraq cruising the web looking at fly fishing gear. My wife even sent me some fly fishing magazines. It is never too early to plan for my next fly fishing adventure, that just so happens to be about 10 months away. I want to catch an Alaskan salmon on a fly rod before I PCS down to the lower 48. Cohos on the clearwater will be the trip for me. So I am looking for a fly combo to catch these salmon. However I am due to depart Alaska sometime in the spring of the following year. Destination unknown. So I am thinking, do I need to get a saltwater combo just incase I end up in a coastal area? Can I use a saltwater combo just as effectively in freshwater, or do they differ enough to warrant me into buying a regular freshwater combo and if I end up on the coast get another combo(to my wife's dismay)? Since I am in Iraq how do I know what to get without physically touching it so when I get off the plane, the next day(if wife says yes) I can hit the clearwater and rip some lips? Thanks.

Kodiak 5 (formerly Sapper 2-6)

Default Just do it

Kodiak 5? That's a great name name but frankly it sounds...made up. Just do it Captain...big pay raise plus combat hazard pay! Your wife will be mad at me for giving you this advice but she'll get over it. You should be back in time to hit silvers on the clearwater. Perfect time actually. Where do you think you might end up? Can't think of anything coastal unless you get Savannah or something like that. Rucker isn't too far from the gulf either...but no sappers here. I'm just about to start flight school...this Monday to be exact. Still on track to get up to Fairbanks next month for some fishing through the ice. Hopefully I can link up with the slayer and master growden for a day out on Quartz or Harding or something. Anyways...keep your powder dry and keep me posted.

Sapper in the Skies
    (Formally Sapper 2-7)

Default whoops

Maybe it is formerly...I don't know. High school education. Whatever. I fly helicopters.

there is really no such thing as a coastal or fresh water rod... My go to is a 7wt gloomis gl4 for all but kings....along with a host of other rods for many different purposes, like a 1, couple of 3 weights, 2 7's an 8 9 10/11 and 12 heck I hardly use most of them anymore. Buy a faster 7 and you'll be set for salmon fresh or salt. The weight rod really is more about how you fish imho. Say you like to throw a teeny t400 sink tip...you'll likely bust my 7 weight. I use this line on the 10 and 12wts for kings.

For clearwater coho's a simply floating line and a few flys will have you hitting close to or over triple digit fish counts. Fuschia bunny fly weighted and un weighted, and a host of popsicles from pink and orange to fuschia and black. Fuschia is my go to for these fish and it wont let you down! Orange and pink are my next. move from hole to hole, you'll see plenty of fish, when they are put down, move on.

I have a 2 piece 8wt st crouix I have had for well over 15 years. It has landed many reds, silvers, pinks, big bows, dollies. It is one of the best all around rods i have ever had
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Like I said...we'll call you..."Greg", I went with the TFO 8wt. combo mainly because like you I am a complete novice and I didn't want to have to take out a loan on a rod and reel. I really like it even though I can't really use it in Alabama these days. I am thinking about putting on a G. Loomis reel on it as soon as I get back to Fairbanks. The combo went for about $190 @ Sportsmans. I will be looking for a 4 wt. or so when I get back as well for some grayling action at Clearwater and the Haul road. Have you convinced Household-6 about finally changing your guys' residence?

Mr. J
    Sapper in the Skies

Mr. J,

I am an Alaskan for life now. Do not know what the wife is going to do. I want to go back to Alaska after the career course, however I think my wife would disown me. I think I am going to try for either Lewis or Carson. Lewis would be a short flight to anchorage and a short drive to Kenai or Parks streams.

Kodiak 5

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I have a 2 piece 8wt st crouix I have had for well over 15 years. It has landed many reds, silvers, pinks, big bows, dollies. It is one of the best all around rods i have ever had
    i second Chuck on this one. I've had an 8wt st croix also for a few years and it has landed tons of big bows and silvers. This past summer was my first with their 6wt. It handled a lot of big bows also. I'm happy with those rods.

Not sure how well anyone knows these rods, but Albright is having an unreal sale right now on their fly rods and reels. I picked up an A-5 9wt and GP reel, for pike and wiper locally and silvers in AK. The A-5 has gotten pretty good reviews, I also picked up a Topwater 8/9wt as a backup, for 20 bucks I think it'll work! I have not had a chance to get out and play with the new rod yet so I can't give my own review.

http://www.albrighttackle.com/index.html

8 or 9 wt Wright and McGill rod with an American Classic Sales anti-reverse reel. I have tried several different reels, but the American Classic (made in the USA) is tops. You can use it for pinks, reds, sivers and kings. If you want an rod made in the USA, go with a St. Croix.

The way I understand it. Fly gear on saltwater and freshwater is the same with the exception of fly line. If you use a warm water line in cold water it will coil up like a slinky. I have no idea what a cold water line would do in warm water. I almost bought a warm water line once, and the cashier asked me were I was vacationing. When I told him I was not, he pulled down the proper line I would need in Alaska. He then explained the difference between cold and warm water fly lines. That lesson was 4 years ago.

Thanks for your service

Alaskan for life?! Mr. Sappy Kodiak 5, you are, at best, an "Alaskan Wanna Be." Start buying some property and I might believe you.

Yours never,
    Your former 1SG

Knightime,

This is a pretty lame name. Is this your online character for Dungeons and Dragons? Maybe if you didn't waste your time casting spells instead of casting line, you could be as great as a fisherman as I am. You can only hope to be as good as I am. Maybe when we get back next September you can tag along with me to the Clearwater and witness my awesomeness. You can't deny me, it just too real.

Kodiak 5

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    I fly helicopters.
    Helicopters fly?

I thought they beat the air in to submission.

Default Sappers

I own a TFO and a Sage. Any TFO fly rod would make a great first rod. I have their top of the line Axiom and was very impressed with it last season. They say its a little heavy comared to other 8 weights, but I didn't notice a difference. I easily landed 50 of those devils of the clearwater and it had more than enough backbone to bring em in. I broke the first one I had in Klutina during my first trip of last season, but their warranty was amazing, I had a brand new rod back in 10 days or so. I think it was stepped on, which is why I will never use a nice rod on that river, all your doing is flipping anyway. Sage rods are nice as well, I beat the hell out of a 6 weight last season and I enjoyed that one as well. It was real nice to use in those tight spots for those 'bows. I have the VT2, alittle spendy, but well worth it. I guess its all about how much you want to spend and what you are targeting.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

As far as Sage goes, I own a Launch, only $195, lifetime warranty. I actually already sent it in once after I fell down a hill and stuck the tip into the ground...snap it went. They made a new tip piece and sent me back my rod no questions asked. I would recommend the Launch or FLi series on the lower end of the price scale, in addition to growden1's suggestions.

methinks you need a grayling rod seeing as you have a salmon rod, try a 4wt TFO finesse

TFO and ECHO make awesome low priced gear for just about every situation.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

http://www.roaringforkanglers.com/

The link above has some heavily discounted sage, scott and other hi quality fly rods etc. in the closeout section. Ive gotten some some stuff there in the past. Nice people.

PS the simms g3 jacket is a good deal.

there is a reason the Sage TCR 8 wt is on sale for a couple bills less than the original price...it's a piece of crap! I casted one this summer and hated it, I believe others feel the same way or it wouldn't be so heavily discounted. If you really want a sweet rod and don't mind dropping the cash then go with the Z-Axis, it's a friggin cannon! I bought my second this year and can't say enough good things about them. They are way lighter, feel more crisp with the cast, and have the stiffness in the butt for long casts and big fish. The only decent TCR in my opinion is the 6wt without the fighting butt. That is a sweet rod. Or if you want the ultimate then go with the Winston. Again, pricey, but well worth it. The 6wt BIIMX with the fighting but casts like a 3-4 wt, it feels that light! It all comes down to how much you wanna spend, how serious a fly fisher you are, how often you fish, how much to spend on a name, etc. Short story long... if you want the best then be prepared to drop some cash, it will make the entire "which rod should I buy" question a lot easier to answer instead of justifying an obviously lower performing rod with the low price.

After years of using premium Sage rods I had a whim to buy a 6wt and bought a FLi series from Worldwide Anglers. A buddy and I spent a week in SW Alaska chasing steelies but mostly found big pig silvers, and I mean pigs. I used that 6wt rod all week and had a friggin blast with it. My XP was little more than a back-up. You don't have to break the bank to get good quality gear. I'm very impressed with the FLi series.

I still favor Ross for mid-priced fly reels. I have others that have better drags and sexier spools but Ross offers a good product for the price. I can't say the expensive and sexy reels have been any more fun than the less expensive Ross.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast